The Music Thread

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
Deuce Canada

Re: The Music Thread

Post by Deuce »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:22 pm
Deuce wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:38 am
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:41 am I totally agree with you. When I text though with my friends it is to make really small silly messages to each other. We don't really talk about important stuff over texts. If we have to talk about something important like homework or something like that we will make a phone call.
The problem is that many, many people (I'd say most) use text messaging (or whatsapp, instagram, twitter, facebook, etc.) as their absolute primary mode of communication.
But it's not communication - it's just gossip.
With all due respect to homework, when I say profound, meaningful, and/or serious communication, I mean talking about LIFE - hopes and fears, experiences, relationships, etc. People used to actually communicate and share deep feelings. Now, it's pretty much all superficial fluff and nonsense.

A lot of people are even afraid to talk on the phone today - because talking directly with someone requires immediate response - and, because of E mail and text messages and 'social media', people are so accustomed today to rehearse their responses before 'sending' them that they're like a deer in the headlights when they have to actually speak with someone directly in real time.

And don't get me started about the importance that people (of all ages!) put on the number of 'likes', 'views', 'followers', etc. they have, as they try to improve their 'social status'. It's all about quantity over quality. And it's all so incredibly hollow and superficial.
Once again I agree with you and I think I learned the value of phones and Social Media and even though I still have it in my hand a lot and am checking tennis scores all the time, listen to music on it and texting my friends stupid things. I know when enough is enough or I know when mom says to put it down. :lol:

As a teen I don't know what I would really consider as meaningful conversation with my friends. Would that be talking about boys and relationships and stuff like that because for adults that wouldn't be very meaningful. As a teen I don't spend a lot of my time chatting on the phone about world issues. Yes I have talked about school shootings and stuff like that before with them and that stuff is important and I am also really big on the environment so sometimes that stuff comes up , but most of the time even when we talk we talk about movies, tv shows, or music, boys, school stuff and other stuff like that.

Social Media though is something that I do not follow much and if I do my mom filters a lot of it for me even with me being 16 years old. I had a friend who was bullied badly on FB and that really turned me off to Social Media.

The last thing you spoke of is so true and something that just adds to the whole aspect of I am better than you mentality. It comes down to a popularity contest really. When I had FB what really was weird to me is there were kids at my school who I really didn't know would send me friend requests. I was like why are they sending me a friend request when we are not friends in person at school? It was basically just to get as many friends as they could even though they were not really friends. It is pretty stupid. I am no longer on FB after my friend was bullied and I can really live without it. The likes I really don't mind as much because most people are liking the content of what someone is writing. I guess some people just like a post because it is the person who writes it , but most people and I think like with the system that is on here from what I have seen like what is posted and it doesn't matter who posts it. That to me is perfectly okay.
Facebook was created to deliberately exploit people's insecurities and vulnerabilities... (and it has accomplished this wonderfully, as people have been very co-operative in being pawns)...
They created the 'like' button knowing that people would never have enough 'likes', and would keep coming back for more - like a drug addict.
Pretty much all other 'social media' platforms have copied this unethical - but very successful - approach.

The Origin of Facebook...

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Yes - album covers used to be like special photographs that people would frame. And some people framed the album covers, too.
And it's very true that that 'magic' didn't transfer to CDs at all. Firstly, the CD 'covers' were simply too small, as compared to the vinyl album covers. Secondly, the plastic 'boxes' the CDs came in did not scream 'special art'... they screamed 'cheap plastic'.

Here's one more classic album cover - shown in the clip of a song from the album... the touching song is a true story about Shawn's friend who was killed by lightning.
Shawn did a little work with Miles Davis, I believe - and he is a big fan.... He also worked with Rick Wakeman, and toured with 'Yes' (both mentioned above).

T'was a man of youthful features
T'was a boy of sorrowful eyes
Watching out but looking inward
Tall and stately and full of life

In his life, he spoke but rarely
In his mind he cried for light
Painting perceptions trying to capture
That which he saw in his questioning strife

Once in Lisbon, twice in London
Travelling around for all of his time
Looking for and finding a goddess
He took Diana to be his wife

Of the children they'd begotten
Two had died without knowing life
And the third I know not whereof
But if she lives, she will yet be kind

Casey had a mark of simple value
He had a star between his eyes
In his hands he held an axe blade
The Greek symbol of thunder and fire

On a night when the heavens were crying
He went out and took his blade
Chopping wood to warm his hearthside
The lightning came and my brother died

Bring him no wine from faraway vineyards
Tell him no tales of the canyon's might
But wish him peace and eternal wisdom
For he has died... and he died in light
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Complete Mess
Me, Myself, & I
Take My Hand

All songs by 5 Seconds Of Summer
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Ok. Good that I did read that this was the Music Topic because my initial reaction was:
This is a psychoanalytical diagnosis (Complete mess)
About herself (Me, Myself & I)
And Cuckoo is asking for help (Take my hand).

THEN I saw that these are names of songs.
I need to stop reading this forum before my breakfast kicks in...
(Will check them out ;) )
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:34 pm Ok. Good that I did read that this was the Music Topic because my initial reaction was:
This is a psychoanalytical diagnosis (Complete mess)
About herself (Me, Myself & I)
And Cuckoo is asking for help (Take my hand).

THEN I saw that these are names of songs.
I need to stop reading this forum before my breakfast kicks in...
(Will check them out ;) )
:lol: The songs are really good. The band 5 Seconds Of Summer is from Australia and the song "Youngblood" is probably their most famous song ever.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

To the "old man yells at cloud" crowd among us - they're still making music album art and some covers have been fantastic!

For a tennis-related example, I have no idea what his music sounds like, but I thought Naomi Osaka's (ex?)boyfriend's album cover from earlier this year was pretty cool:

Here's a list ranking for the best covers from last year: https://www.thisisdig.com/feature/best- ... vers-2021/

Also, vinyl's having a comeback and last year production companies actually ran out of records and equipment because of high deman
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Ex? Didn't know they were on the rocks. Just googled - she has unfollowed him on social media and scrubbed their photos.
mmmm8 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:42 am To the "old man yells at cloud" crowd among us - they're still making music album art and some covers have been fantastic!

For a tennis-related example, I have no idea what his music sounds like, but I thought Naomi Osaka's (ex?)boyfriend's album cover from earlier this year was pretty cool:

Here's a list ranking for the best covers from last year: https://www.thisisdig.com/feature/best- ... vers-2021/

Also, vinyl's having a comeback and last year production companies actually ran out of records and equipment because of high deman

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Billie Eilish has released two new singles called "TV" and "The 30th" on a small EP release called Guitar Songs. Both the songs are very good.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

mmmm8 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:42 am To the "old man yells at cloud" crowd among us - they're still making music album art and some covers have been fantastic!

Wait, wait. I thought that was only me. Are you implying there are there other antediluvian members? Let me get my notebook so I can write down their phone numbers...
:P
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

She got rid of him?! Good.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Why? Other than his penchant to flip birds when posing with her, what else he did?
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:25 pm

Wait, wait. I thought that was only me. Are you implying there are there other antediluvian members? Let me get my notebook so I can write down their phone numbers...
:P

Surely you mean rolodex? Or is your typewriter in the shop?
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

The more 'experienced' among you - and those who know music of the '60s and '70s (when music was magical) - will, of course, know Joni, and will know 'Both Sides, Now' (and the 'youngins' should definitely google the lyrics - they are wonderful).

This was a special moment the other day...
She had a brain aneurysm/stroke in 2015. And this is the first time she has performed in front of an audience in over 20 years...

Moments like this are rare (as they must be).
Enjoy the queen...

R.I.P. Amal...

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

I know this song, but from the movie CODA and sung by the actress who sung it in the movie Emilia Jones.

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I'm happy that the song is touching a new generation...
R.I.P. Amal...