The Music Thread

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
the Moz Canada

Re: The Music Thread

Post by the Moz »

Madonna
The Smiths/Morrissey
Depeche Mode
suede
New Order
The Killers
Saint Etienne
Pet Shop Boys
Interpol
White Lies
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
dave g United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

Clamavi de Profundus
Peter Hollens
James Taylor
Carole King
John Denver
Linda Ronstat
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I don't know about artists, but bands:
Pink Floyd
Depeche Mode
Duran Duran
Tears for Fears

Jazz:
Miles
Coltrane
Michael Franks

Pop/Funk:
Prince

Singers:
Carly Simon

Classic Americana:
Steely Dan

New artists:
??????

This was much harder than I thought it would be...
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

I actually had to take a minute to think about this and review my YouTube playlist.

10. Rosalia
9. 5 Seconds of Summer
8. Twenty One Pilots
7. Mahmood
6. Avici
5. Jody Watley
4. Gavin DeGraw
3. Martha Wash
2. Adele
1. Aretha Franklin

Bubbling under the top 10 would be Maneskin and MARUV.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

dryrunguy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:23 pm
Bubbling under the top 10 would be Maneskin and MARUV.

Don't know who that is, but FYI

dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Sure you do, Jazz! Eurovision Song Contest 2021, Italian entry. They won. Then they debuted on the U.S. charts with a cover of Beggin that went top 20, I think. They have become quite the global sensation.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

dryrunguy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:53 pm Sure you do, Jazz! Eurovision Song Contest 2021, Italian entry. They won. Then they debuted on the U.S. charts with a cover of Beggin that went top 20, I think. They have become quite the global sensation.
I'm not saying Jazz doesn't know, but just to be clear, Eurovision is by and large unknown and/or ignored in the US. And at least IMHO, it's one of the few things that I can say I'm very proud of as an American. ;)

Kevin

Post by JazzNU »

dryrunguy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:53 pm Sure you do, Jazz! Eurovision Song Contest 2021, Italian entry. They won. Then they debuted on the U.S. charts with a cover of Beggin that went top 20, I think. They have become quite the global sensation.
I'm trying to behave because I'm dying to post a gif as a reply to this. I kinda remember them I think, but you guys had me watching too many clips to honestly keep it all straight. No idea what Beggin is. I also don't know a good deal of the artists listed in people's top 10s are.

@Kevin,the only reason I know about anything Eurovision is because I asked like a single question on what the hell is going on in this thread last year and they had me watching video clips of a lot of (less than impressive) entries to the competition and tried to explain it to me. I still don't quite get the whole thing. But yeah, I only know anything about it because of this community.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Kevin, just to clarify... Your proud that, as an American, you know what Eurovision is? Or you're proud that you've been able to ignore it?

Jazz, Beggin is a song from the 60s that was done by the Four Seasons. Maneskin first performed it as part of either their X Factor Italy journey or the Sanremo Festival (or both). This past summer, after they won Eurovision, it was released in the U.S. I remember the first time I heard it on the radio. I was immediately struck by the edge of it, but I had NO idea it was Maneskin performing it until about 1/3 of the way through the song when I realized it was Damiano singing it. Unfortunately, the song is far too repetitive and goes on far too long. I'm hoping they have a very bright future.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

P.S.--What I LOVE about lists like these is that I can look up a lot of these singers and bands I've never heard of and see what they're about. I'm bound to find at least a few that I REALLY like. But music is a deeply personal thing. A song can strike to the core of one person's being while dropping dead flat on someone else.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:42 pm
I'm trying to behave because I'm dying to post a gif as a reply to this. I kinda remember them I think, but you guys had me watching too many clips to honestly keep it all straight. No idea what Beggin is. I also don't know a good deal of the artists listed in people's top 10s are.

@Kevin,the only reason I know about anything Eurovision is because I asked like a single question on what the hell is going on in this thread last year and they had me watching video clips of a lot of (less than impressive) entries to the competition and tried to explain it to me. I still don't quite get the whole thing. But yeah, I only know anything about it because of this community.
I think the Eurovision song contest is kind of like Vegemite. If you don't grow up with it, it's largely unpalatable. :) I only found out about it because I lived in Italy. And I'd say the opinion there is mixed. But everyone there knows what it is.

I also only know maybe 1/3 of the artists people posted re their favorite music. That's kind of why I asked. It's super interesting for me. We (or at least I) interact with people here a lot, and yet we often don't know very much about each other. :)

Kevin
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

dryrunguy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:01 pm Kevin, just to clarify... Your proud that, as an American, you know what Eurovision is? Or you're proud that you've been able to ignore it?

Jazz, Beggin is a song from the 60s that was done by the Four Seasons. Maneskin first performed it as part of either their X Factor Italy journey or the Sanremo Festival (or both). This past summer, after they won Eurovision, it was released in the U.S. I remember the first time I heard it on the radio. I was immediately struck by the edge of it, but I had NO idea it was Maneskin performing it until about 1/3 of the way through the song when I realized it was Damiano singing it. Unfortunately, the song is far too repetitive and goes on far too long. I'm hoping they have a very bright future.
Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm proud that it's largely unknown and/or ignored here. :) I'm happy that y'all like it. Rock your socks off. I'm just not a fan.

Kevin

Post by JazzNU »

dryrunguy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:01 pm
Okay, definitely don't know that one. Only Four Seasons song I know off the top of my head for sure is Oh What a Night.

I kind of remember you liking a couple of bands quite a bit, but honestly can't remember which ones they were. One was significantly better than the other imo, I remember that much. Hopefully that's this one.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

dmforever wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:07 pm
dryrunguy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:01 pm Kevin, just to clarify... Your proud that, as an American, you know what Eurovision is? Or you're proud that you've been able to ignore it?

Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm proud that it's largely unknown and/or ignored here. :) I'm happy that y'all like it. Rock your socks off. I'm just not a fan.

Kevin
Most Eurovision song entries really are garbage. No question about it. I have only followed it for about 12 years or so, and historically speaking, Eurovision is all about being campy and silly.

But there's been a big shift over the past few years. When I first started paying attention to it, I couldn't understand why no one else in Europe seemed to like the songs I liked. Someone once said, "Some songs are just too good for Eurovision."

But in 2019 and 2021, truly good songs won though both of those winners were my second favorite song of the year. In fact, the 2019 winner, Arcade, by Duncan Laurence, charted in the U.S. around the same time as Beggin. I have no idea why they waited to release it in the U.S. 2 years after it won.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:21 pm
dryrunguy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:01 pm
Okay, definitely don't know that one. Only Four Seasons song I know off the top of my head for sure is Oh What a Night.

I kind of remember you liking a couple of bands quite a bit, but honestly can't remember which ones they were. One was significantly better than the other imo, I remember that much. Hopefully that's this one.
Yup, last year I was ALL about Ukraine and Italy. :)