The Music Thread

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
JazzNU United States of America

Re: The Music Thread

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:17 pm I don't know about artists, but bands:
Pink Floyd
Depeche Mode
Duran Duran
Tears for Fears

Jazz:
Miles
Coltrane
Michael Franks

Pop/Funk:
Prince

Singers:
Carly Simon

Classic Americana:
Steely Dan
Michael Franks! Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long while. Very nice.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

dryrunguy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:21 pm
dmforever wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:07 pm
dryrunguy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:01 pm Kevin, just to clarify... Your proud that, as an American, you know what Eurovision is? Or you're proud that you've been able to ignore it?

Jazz, Beggin is a song from the 60s that was done by the Four Seasons. Maneskin first performed it as part of either their X Factor Italy journey or the Sanremo Festival (or both). This past summer, after they won Eurovision, it was released in the U.S. I remember the first time I heard it on the radio. I was immediately struck by the edge of it, but I had NO idea it was Maneskin performing it until about 1/3 of the way through the song when I realized it was Damiano singing it. Unfortunately, the song is far too repetitive and goes on far too long. I'm hoping they have a very bright future.
Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm proud that it's largely unknown and/or ignored here. :) I'm happy that y'all like it. Rock your socks off. I'm just not a fan.

Kevin
Most Eurovision song entries really are garbage. No question about it. I have only followed it for about 12 years or so, and historically speaking, Eurovision is all about being campy and silly.

But there's been a big shift over the past few years. When I first started paying attention to it, I couldn't understand why no one else in Europe seemed to like the songs I liked. Someone once said, "Some songs are just too good for Eurovision."

But in 2019 and 2021, truly good songs won though both of those winners were my second favorite song of the year. In fact, the 2019 winner, Arcade, by Duncan Laurence, charted in the U.S. around the same time as Beggin. I have no idea why they waited to release it in the U.S. 2 years after it won.
That's interesting. Thanks. ;) All I can add to that is that charting in the US isn't always a sign of quality, though of course that's super subjective.

Kevin
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Indeed. Charting in the U.S. is definitely NOT a sign of quality. In fact, more often than not, charting in the U.S. might be a natural argument AGAINST quality. But yeah, quality is a subjective thing. And I am well known for loving songs that aren't necessarily quality--but I enjoy them immensely for one reason or another.

That said, the only singer or band in Eurovision history I can think of that did well in Eurovision and later had commercial success in the U.S. was ABBA. There have been several artists that had commercial success in the U.S. and elsewhere and then did Eurovision--and flopped badly. E.g., Bonnie Tyler and Engelbert Humperdinck come to mind. (Hello, UK.)

:)
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

dryrunguy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:41 pm Indeed. Charting in the U.S. is definitely NOT a sign of quality. In fact, more often than not, charting in the U.S. might be a natural argument AGAINST quality. But yeah, quality is a subjective thing. And I am well known for loving songs that aren't necessarily quality--but I enjoy them immensely for one reason or another.

That said, the only singer or band in Eurovision history I can think of that did well in Eurovision and later had commercial success in the U.S. was ABBA. There have been several artists that had commercial success in the U.S. and elsewhere and then did Eurovision--and flopped badly. E.g., Bonnie Tyler and Engelbert Humperdinck come to mind. (Hello, UK.)

:)
I still don't remotely understand how or why she was in it, but Celine Dion is likely the most successful example I'd think, but that's obviously going off very limited knowledge about Eurovision and I had no idea she was in it before last year when you guys tried to go over the rules for me.

Kevin, I'm hardly the target market for Eurovision, so take this with a grain of salt, but to me, the quality of entries I heard was highly suspect. But I also don't have a reference point beyond what @dry and others were showing me as comparisons and favorites from prior years. It easily could be that what I heard last year was an improvement over several years earlier. I think it will definitely depend on your music tastes (and keep in mind, and you can see this from @dry's list, when he talks about quality, he likes quite a wide variety of music). But even those that were technically ones that I could like, a style of music I'm more open to, they were mostly underwhelming to me.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Taking Jazz's post to heart, I'll add that Eurovision "experts" generally consider 2021 one of the strongest years ever. I would actually agree with that. There were several good songs. I think I have three or four of them on my YouTube playlist.

But there were also about 15-20 that clearly fell into the category of "awful". And yes, 2021 was still a good year in comparison to others.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Shawn Phillips
Asia
Indigo Girls
Cat Stevens
REO Speedwagon
Sarah Harmer
Don Ross
Yes
Ruthie Foster
Suzanne Vega

Honourable Mention:

U.K.
Emerson, Lake, & Palmer
Eva Cassidy
Simon & Garfunkel
James Taylor
Joni Mitchell
Crosby, Stills, Nash (& Young)
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

dryrunguy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:21 pm Most Eurovision song entries really are garbage. No question about it. I have only followed it for about 12 years or so, and historically speaking, Eurovision is all about being campy and silly.

But there's been a big shift over the past few years. When I first started paying attention to it, I couldn't understand why no one else in Europe seemed to like the songs I liked. Someone once said, "Some songs are just too good for Eurovision."

But in 2019 and 2021, truly good songs won though both of those winners were my second favorite song of the year. In fact, the 2019 winner, Arcade, by Duncan Laurence, charted in the U.S. around the same time as Beggin. I have no idea why they waited to release it in the U.S. 2 years after it won.
Maybe Eurovision songs are getting better, or maybe you've just become too involved and have Stockholm syndrome :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Just kidding, I really like Maneskin)
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Going to stick to English-language artists here (+Chopin), otherwise, the list won't be very interesting for most. So, not necessarily my very top 10, but near it!

Adele
The Beatles
Cake
Frederic Chopin
Green Day
Lily Allen
Linkin Park
Matchbox 20
Pink Floyd
Queen

I feel like we're all dating ourselves a bit with the lists!
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

Impossible task. These are the ten bands I've listened to the most in recent years.

a-Ha
Beach Boys
Coldplay
Alice in Chains
Depeche Mode
New Order
Nirvana
The Pixies
Sonic Youth
The The
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I saw this woman perform an impromptu version of this song on PBS tonight.
Prior to singing, they went over the inspiration for the song - an old advertisement of a slave woman for sale - with her baby also available 'at the purchaser's option'.
Then she played and sang the song.
I found it to be immensely powerful.

I did not know who this singer was before tonight.
I'm very happy that I now know who she is...
Her name is Rhiannon Giddens.
I hope you tell people about her - she deserves to be known.

I'm posting two versions of the song in question - the first is a live version, and the second is a studio version, but which includes a visual of the advertisement which inspired the song - as well as the very powerful lyrics...

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I've been a fan of Ms Giddens for a long time. I'm glad that she's getting more recognition.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

One of the innovative things in S2 of Bridgerton is the reconceptualizing of pop classics into a classical format. Here's the soundtrack as provided by Harpers Bazaar.

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/a ... oundtrack/
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Tinges of Joni Mitchell (lyrics-wise), the banjo is fairly unique. The voice reminds me a bit of Rhian Benson, another beautiful composer.
Worth the listening.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

40 years ago, the seminal disco-into-lounge RIO, by Duran Duran, was released.
I have made it clear to my family that a my funeral, SAVE A PRAYER must be played. It still sounds as fresh as if it was released this morning.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem