by meganfernandez Congratulations! The 11 of you survived where 125 others failed. This was a brutal pool, losing 90% in four days. Might be a record. Let's see if you can keep it up!

Grancordero: Fernandez -- Hunter -- Burel -- Tsurenko -- Noskova -- Andreeva -- Svitolina -- Gauff -- Kalinskaya -- Kostyuk

Aleape: Fernandez -- Paolini -- Navarro -- Tsurenko - NO PICK

Ckelsall34 = -- B. Fruhvirtova -- Tomova -- Burel -- Tsurenko -- Noskova -- Frech --Navarro

Ironmike: Dolehide -- Mertens -- Burel -- Haddad Maia -- Noskova -- Krejcikova- - Svitolina -- Andreeva

Leaker: Fernandez -- Paolini -- Trevisan -- Tsurenko -- Navarro -- Badosa

Martini4me: Fernandez -- Kostyuk -- Cocciaretto -- Anisimova -- Noskova - Krejcikova -- Svitolina -- Andreeva

Mrdarnley: Tsurenko -- Mertens -- Stephens -- Haddad Maia -- Svitolina -- Andreeva -- Paolini -- Timofeeva

Naughtyt: Fernandez -- Mertens -- Stephens -- Tsurenko -- Noskova -- Frech -- Svitolina -- Kostyuk -- Azarekna

Oliver0001: Krejcikova -- Hunter -- Kasatkina -- Haddad Maia -- Paolini -- Anisimova -- Svitolina - Gauff -- Azarenka

Omess: Dolehide -- Kostyuk -- Cocciaretto -- Tsurenko -- Noskova -- Haddad Maia

Verbalvolleys: Tsurenko -- Kostyuk -- Trevisan -- Krejcikova -- Raducanu

by Grancordero I´m sorry... Didn´t Pavlyuchenkova lost to Badosa last night?

by ponchi101
Grancordero wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:00 pm I´m sorry... Didn´t Pavlyuchenkova lost to Badosa last night?
Indeed. I was running the parser myself and the spelling was not correct, saw that JT was not red, and added the picks.
Not Megan's fault.
Sorry.

by Grancordero Don´t mention it. It´s a hell of a job you´re doing here, thanks for everything.

by meganfernandez Day 5 Summary - only 11 people survive, down from 125 who started. That's 90% of the pool out in four days.

Noskova - 6
Raducanu - 1
Paolini - 1
Navarro - 1
Svitolina - 1
No pick - 1

REACTIONS
Noskova - She's already through, but it wasn't straightforward. Since she's next to Iga in the draw, you're in good shape unless... unless... Collins is up 5-1 in the second. Don't look now.

Raducanu - Unnecessary risk.

Paolini - Best pick of the day, I think, unless you have already taken her.

Navarro - Why use her so soon? She would be the favorite in the next round and have a real shot at the quarters.

Svitolina - I would have saved her. She's too tough of an out. Sure, Iga's section, but I'd give Svitolina a good shot vs Iga - she beat her at Wimbledon.

by meganfernandez Day 6 Summary - 9 of you could barely agree

Andreeva - 2
Frech - 2
Krejcikova - 2

Haddad Maia - 1
Anisimova - 1
Badosa - 1

The only thing I'm going to say is that several people still have Kostyuk and didn't use her. Sorry for abbreviated comments. I'm more tired than Medvedev and Ruusuvuori.

by naughtyT .... and then there were 7....

by naughtyT ... of course if we all make the same picks... everyone wins... win or lose. Just sayin'

by meganfernandez
naughtyT wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:05 pm .... and then there were 7....
You Andreeva pickers are living on borrowed time! What a comeback. Were you guys already texting friends to have your hemlock ready in the Losers Lounge? Incredible that you're still alive. Also the Frech picker - but that wasn't quite the heart attack that Andreeva was.

Six of you still have Kostyuk available and EVERYONE has Timofeeva! Does anyone dare pick her? Don't get too comfy, though, because you know the carnage isn't over! What surprises will happen this weekend?

by Suliso If I were alive which I long since am not I'd be tempted to go with Swiatek. Risky picks will just not survive.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:15 pm If I were alive which I long since am not I'd be tempted to go with Swiatek. Risky picks will just not survive.
I would pick Iga because I think she will lose to Svitolina, as she did at Wimbledon. :) I do think you have to make a bold pick somewhere along the lines to win an SP, usually. Or maybe that's just me and how I play these things (and tennis).

by ptmcmahon
Suliso wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:15 pm If I were alive which I long since am not I'd be tempted to go with Swiatek. Risky picks will just not survive.
It's hard to do that often since then if there aren't upsets... later on you're the one who was to pick an upset while others get Swiatek.

But especially in WTA it may work out quite well. Or you say "I'll pick Jabeur ... or Rybakina because she's safe." Then you look real foolish. :)

by Suliso I don't think I buy Svitolina beating Swiatek narrative. They have never played on hard and Iga's class is higher.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:56 pm I don't think I buy Svitolina beating Swiatek narrative. They have never played on hard and Iga's class is higher.
Swiatek should have lost to Collins, and Svitolina is a better player who won't be intimidated, and has better defense. I think it's 50/50! But what do we know? There are a lot of experts in the Losers Lounge. :)

by ponchi101 Svitolina is a retriever/defender. Collins is an attacking player, whose shots stopped landing in.
If Elina decides to play nothing but defense, eventually her shorts balls will allow Iga to step in and hit the winner. On grass, the low bounce did Iga in. At the Aussie, the ball will not stay low

by Suliso If Iga is really underperforming this week she'll go down tomorrow morning to Noskova. I don't think she's in such a poor form, but I could be mistaken!

by naughtyT
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:26 pm Svitolina is a retriever/defender. Collins is an attacking player, whose shots stopped landing in.
If Elina decides to play nothing but defense, eventually her shorts balls will allow Iga to step in and hit the winner. On grass, the low bounce did Iga in. At the Aussie, the ball will not stay low

That's what I am banking on... at any rate I find it hard to look past Sabalenka after yesterday's performance

by jazzyg Svitolina was hitting the ball hard in her 3-set loss to Gauff last week. She played quite well, but Gauff played better.

Svitolina's history is to back off in slams. If she goes against instinct she will have a shot against Swiatek.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:26 pm Svitolina is a retriever/defender. Collins is an attacking player, whose shots stopped landing in.
i think Svitolina's serve usually dooms her.

by meganfernandez Day 7 Picks for the 7 survivors

Svitolina - 5
Navarro - 1
Paolini - 1

REACTIONS
No one wanted to touch Burel-Dodin? Are you saving Yastremska?

Svitolina: The obvious pick. Heavy favorite and then might Iga. But I would have tried to save her in case Noskova upsets Iga, or Svitolina does later, as she did at Wimbledon.

Navarro - it was a good guess based on her form this month. Only her second loss this year, and the other one was to Gauff.

Paolini - A toss-up to me considering Blinkova fought so well to beat Rybakina. If she wins, you'll be in good shape going forward.

by naughtyT ....6.....

by Grancordero If Svitolina loses today, we´d already have a winner here!

by patrick If Svitolina does lose, only the WTA Survivor winner will have a pick left in the entire contest as ATP is done and dusted,

by Grancordero True. I wasn´t even paying attention to ATP since Shelton ruined me over yesterday.

by texasniteowl I seriously can't believe that at the end of round 3...3!...that the ATP SP is over and done...and only 5 remain here. Wow. Just...it's Australia?

by naughtyT
texasniteowl wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:36 pm I seriously can't believe that at the end of round 3...3!...that the ATP SP is over and done...and only 5 remain here. Wow. Just...it's Australia?
It's a well known fact that everything can kill you here in Australia!

by naughtyT I've just realized I am the last Australian still standing downunder... well apart from the Demon.

by meganfernandez
naughtyT wrote:I've just realized I am the last Australian still standing downunder... well apart from the Demon.
Didn’t know you are Australian! Were you pulling for Hunter? Such a tough loss. She had it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by naughtyT
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:23 pm
naughtyT wrote:I've just realized I am the last Australian still standing downunder... well apart from the Demon.
Didn’t know you are Australian! Were you pulling for Hunter? Such a tough loss. She had it!

yes it was such a shame! I have been impressed how much she has improved as a singles player.
Also... tomorrow's pick is really really hard.

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:34 pm If Iga is really underperforming this week she'll go down tomorrow morning to Noskova. I don't think she's in such a poor form, but I could be mistaken!
Good call! We usually joke about your jinxing powers. We seldom :clap: :clap: :clap: for your spot on commentary.

by ptmcmahon
Like Swiatek! This is one of the main reasons I can't ever do that. I already feel dumb when I lose, this would make me feel dumber :)

And for those who said they don't see Svitolina beating Swiatek... you were all right :)

by ptmcmahon
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:13 pm
Suliso wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:34 pm If Iga is really underperforming this week she'll go down tomorrow morning to Noskova. I don't think she's in such a poor form, but I could be mistaken!
Good call! We usually joke about your jinxing powers. We seldom :clap: :clap: :clap: for your spot on commentary.
Suliso's jinxing has been next level so far this year :D

by patrick Be nice to Suliso :)

by meganfernandez
naughtyT wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:35 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:23 pm

yes it was such a shame! I have been impressed how much she has improved as a singles player.
Also... tomorrow's pick is really really hard.
Tomorrow's as in top half R16? Ot today's, bottom half? you have almost all your options left, so it shouldn't be too bad. I know what I would do. :)

by meganfernandez Day 8 summary for 6 survivors

Gauff - 2
Andreeva - 2
Timofeeva - 1
Kostyuk - 1

REACTIONS
Gauff - Neither picker was forced. They both have Kostyuk and Timofeeva available, plus one has Andreeva available and the other has Krejcikova available. So they think Gauff is going to lose in the quarters to the winner of Kostyuk/Timofeeva. A surprising decision. Coco has shown no signs of weakness so far. Her sets as of this writing: 6-3, 6-2, 7-6, 6-2, 6-0, 6-2, 6-1. I think you picked your way into a corner. But again, I've been WFH in the Losers Lounge since Day 1, so what do I know?

Andreeva - Both pickers had already used Krejcikova and one had used Kostyuk, too. This is as good a bet as any, but Andreeva was lucky to escape the last round. It was an impressive fight, but Krejcikova is a better player than Parry.

Timofeeva - Finally, someone caught the Feeva! This is her first pick in the entire SP. The picker had Kostyuk and Krejcikova available. This could be a winning pick - if Coco also advances, you would still have her, Anisimova, Sabalenka, and Krejcikova available. I say the kid has a real shot in this one, though I know nothing about how she matches up with Kostyuk. Can Timofeeva pull a Raducanu and go 10-0? How about at least 7-1? She was so impressive vs, Wozniacki once she got her nerves under control.

Kostyuk - This picker had everyone available except Frech and was in the best position going into this round, Well positioned to win the SP if Gauff also wins.

by ptmcmahon Or maybe the Gauff pickers decided to be safe as we were discussing? :)

by Grancordero Hahaha! I was just trying to survive one more day, yeah. Wasn't comfortable with any of the other choices.

by Suliso Gauff pickers with a solid medal chance. Risky pickers not so much...

by meganfernandez We're down to 3 - about the number of women's seeds left, too. I think only one person - Naughty, who still hasn't used Gauff - has a solid chance to beat the draw, but if Kostyuk beats Gauff, all three still could.They still have to survive today, and all of them have already used Svitolina.

Good luck and congratulations for surviving this far. Wasn't easy!

by naughtyT It's been a heady first week. Hopefully Vika gets a couple of us through.

by Grancordero I think Naughty is a heavy favorite here, but, come on, top 3 in my first WTA SP is a great success already! :-)

And, who knows? A great match from Yastremska or a clumsy performance from Vika and I get at least a share of a medal...

by ponchi101 Indeed, a great success. My last SP medal was about 10 years ago, and I have not even come close to another.
Hope you enjoyed your experience here :handshake:

by meganfernandez
Grancordero wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:12 pm I think Naughty is a heavy favorite here, but, come on, top 3 in my first WTA SP is a great success already! :-)

And, who knows? A great match from Yastremska or a clumsy performance from Vika and I get at least a share of a medal...
Amazing performance for your first SP! I didn't know it was your first one. Great job, indeed.

by naughtyT
Grancordero wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:12 pm I think Naughty is a heavy favorite here, but, come on, top 3 in my first WTA SP is a great success already! :-)

Truly is a fantastic effort.
I beat the pool in my 1st SP with Kvitova's Wimbledon debut but I have been an abject failure since then.
Good luck to us all!

by meganfernandez Boy, you guys got LUCKY that Svitolina withdrew because you have all used her already. What deal with the devil did you make? Buy only Gran didn't take Azarenka today - and could still beat the draw because Gran hasn't used Yastremska yet. We could have a winner in a few minutes.

by naughtyT <sad trombone> Vika.
Good luck to Gran!

by meganfernandez
naughtyT wrote:<sad trombone> Vika.
Good luck to Gran!
You all could tie if Kalinskaya loses.

by naughtyT All done. Congratulations Gran.

by Grancordero Thanks, Naughty!

by meganfernandez Well done! It was fun to watch all of you do well.

by meganfernandez Day 10 Summary - Grandcordero took Kostyuk, having already taken Gauff. Let's see! I think it could be competitive. Kostyuk evidently hired a female coach last year and says it's going really well now. Coco will have a good game plan but I don't think she is overwhelmingly powerful.

by Grancordero The two first sets could have gone either way. I had to choose between Kostyuk and Krejcikova if I wanted to beat the draw, but I didn´t even expect such a competitive match, tbh

by meganfernandez
Grancordero wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:53 am The two first sets could have gone either way. I had to choose between Kostyuk and Krejcikova if I wanted to beat the draw, but I didn´t even expect such a competitive match, tbh
You were soooo close! And then set up to win. Who would you have taken today out of curiosity? What was the rest of your SP going to look like? Guessing you'd take Yastremska and then Zheng to make the final and lose to Sabalenka?