'24 Aus Open Day 13 Order of Play & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
Suliso Latvia

Re: '24 Aus Open Day 13 Order of Play & Discussion

Post by Suliso »

From extended highlights I saw Novak was indeed flat, but Jannik was serving superbly.

So far Zverev is dominating the second SF... If it stays like this means we'll at last have a new GS champion.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

This Sinner is about 20% better than last year ..Zverev is playing very well too but I think Sinner will still have the edge..he is more aggressive...
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Really think zverev needs to finish in this breaker and not get into an extended sets slog.

It's like boxing Rocky - he wants it to devolve into a street fight
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

It worked out against Alcaraz despite losing the third set tiebreak... Same for Sinner vs Djokovic.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

All my talk about Zverev vs Sinner was useless, not that I particularly mind!

Sinner's record vs Medvedev is also negative (3-6), but the dynamics is very different. Daniil started out 6-0, but Jannik has won the last three times (all last fall). I think he has it slightly easier in this match up.

5th GS final for Medvedev and hoping for this 2nd title. He has lost twice to Djokovic and twice to Nadal in the final. Of course this is also his 2nd straight GS final.
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

No Grand Slam for Djokovic this year. I'd prefer neither the Russian nor the Belarussian win anymore matches here. Nice to see Hsieh grab a trophy here too.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:57 pm All my talk about Zverev vs Sinner was useless, not that I particularly mind!

Sinner's record vs Medvedev is also negative (3-6), but the dynamics is very different. Daniil started out 6-0, but Jannik has won the last three times (all last fall). I think he has it slightly easier in this match up.

5th GS final for Medvedev and hoping for this 2nd title. He has lost twice to Djokovic and twice to Nadal in the final. Of course this is also his 2nd straight GS final.
Medvedev has come back from 2 sets down twice in this tournament. He's not at his best but also not going down easily. I picked him at the beginning, when I thought Djokovic wasn't 100% physically, and I'm sticking with him. He has the belief. I'm not sure where Sinner's belief is yet. Maybe he has it after beating Djokovic twice last fall.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Fastbackss wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:26 am Really think zverev needs to finish in this breaker and not get into an extended sets slog.

It's like boxing Rocky - he wants it to devolve into a street fight
I wish I had taken a look at the live odds for Medvedev instead of posting this :bang:

Post by meganfernandez »

Medvedev yelling KARMA! KARMA! after the match is the moment of the tournament for me. Was down 2 sets to love and not looking good, evidently. i didnt see the match.

Edit: that's what Tennis Twitter SAID he was mouthing. He said in the press conference that it wasn't - he was saying something about mentality to his team. I believe it - it actually doesn't look like he's saying "karma" in the clip.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

Suliso wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:57 pm All my talk about Zverev vs Sinner was useless, not that I particularly mind!

I think he already has 5 (US19, AO21, US21, AO22, US23). So this will be his 6th. And if he loses (which looks quite likely given the load disparity) he'll be the one-slam winner with the most GS-finals, separating himself from Roddick.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Sinner was simply better in every department today than Djokovic. True that Djokovic did not play well but I don't know what he could have done..he must have felt he was playing a younger, quicker version of himself...

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:49 pm Sinner was simply better in every department today than Djokovic. True that Djokovic did not play well but I don't know what he could have done..he must have felt he was playing a younger, quicker version of himself...
I think he was so far off his level, something must have been wrong. Illness or injury mostly likely... twitter is speculating about the humidity, but I think illness is more likely. That wasn't even his C level.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Novak of course saying he’s never played so badly at a grand slam, to sort if denegrate Sinner’s victory. Not the first time he’s done that after a slam loss either.

When I went to bed last night, Zverev was up 2 sets to love, so Medvedev helped the ATP avoid a PR nightmare. The probably should put a domestic abuse policy in place going forward, but I know they won’t.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:45 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:49 pm Sinner was simply better in every department today than Djokovic. True that Djokovic did not play well but I don't know what he could have done..he must have felt he was playing a younger, quicker version of himself...
I think he was so far off his level, something must have been wrong. Illness or injury mostly likely... twitter is speculating about the humidity, but I think illness is more likely. That wasn't even his C level.
I also think that Sinner has his number. If Novak was sick or seriously injured he would have talked about it ad nauseum in his pressers like he usually does. This match felt a little like the changing of the guard and Novak’s domination period might be reaching its expiration date.

Post by meganfernandez »

JTContinental wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:04 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:45 pm
I also think that Sinner has his number. If Novak was sick or seriously injured he would have talked about it ad nauseum in his pressers like he usually does. This match felt a little like the changing of the guard and Novak’s domination period might be reaching its expiration date.
I've only seen clips, not the whole match, but my impression is that Novak was not even close to himself. He was clearly sick or off. I'm guessing sick. I don't think it means Sinner has his number or Novak is slipping. We don't know yet.