TBA

Day session - From 12:00am EST

Day session - Not before 12:00am EST

Junior Boys' Doubles • Final

Scheduled

Day session - Not before 2:00am EST

Junior Girls' Doubles • Final

Scheduled

by Irena2 Last year to see the magic of Su-Wei Hsieh! I love watching her play.

by texasniteowl So, how are we feeling? Sinner has been playing really well...but this is Djokovic...in a semifinal. Is Sinner playing well enough? Will Djokovic up his game? Zverev came out smoking against Alcaraz (though admittedly Alcaraz seemed flat to start too). Can Zverev play at that level again against Medvedev? Will Zverev run out of gas after playing back to back 5 set matches before the 4 against Alcaraz?

by ashkor87 krawczyk really showing leadership out there...dictating plays and challenging her opponents. Great to see

by Irena2
texasniteowl wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:47 am So, how are we feeling? Sinner has been playing really well...but this is Djokovic...in a semifinal. Is Sinner playing well enough? Will Djokovic up his game? Zverev came out smoking against Alcaraz (though admittedly Alcaraz seemed flat to start too). Can Zverev play at that level again against Medvedev? Will Zverev run out of gas after playing back to back 5 set matches before the 4 against Alcaraz?
Love how Sinner has come out ready to play. I am cheering for him - but feel like Djokovic will come through at his favorite slam. Medvedev has a good record against Zverev; perhaps the mental energy required to beat Medvedev might be the biggest factor in a Zverev loss. (Fingers crossed, at any rate.)

by ashkor87 I fully expect Sinner to win this title ..

by ashkor87 A new star has risen

by nelslus

by jazzyg Sinner should be the heavy favorite in the final regardless of what happens in the second semifinal.

by Suliso Wow, that was as impressive as it gets. It would be a shame if Jannik doesn't win a title now. I give him 70-30 in the final regardless of who the opponent is.

by ashkor87
Suliso wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:14 am Wow, that was as impressive as it gets. It would be a shame if Jannik doesn't win a title now. I give him 70-30 in the final regardless of who the opponent is.
80-20 is my guess

by Suliso Sinner has a good shot to be the best ever Italian player of either gender. The bar is not that high with Nicola Pietrangeli's two RG titles in '59 and '60 being the current best.

by Suliso
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:42 am
Suliso wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:14 am Wow, that was as impressive as it gets. It would be a shame if Jannik doesn't win a title now. I give him 70-30 in the final regardless of who the opponent is.
80-20 is my guess
On the other hand maybe we should be a bit more cautious about it. Sinner is 1-4 vs Zverev and has lost the last four including last year at USO (R4)

by texasniteowl I know these guys are fit. but they cannot do this all night, right? 51 shot rally...after a 40 shot rally a point or 2 previously. Zverev's got to come to the net more, right?

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:16 am
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:42 am
80-20 is my guess
On the other hand maybe we should be a bit more cautious about it. Sinner is 1-4 vs Zverev and has lost the last four including last year at USO (R4)
Interesting stat. I would say that Zverev needs to come out flat on his BH for Sinner to be able to exploit that. But by now, this slam is a success.
OTOH. With that score, you do have to admit that Novak was not at his level. I don't mind that he is close to invincible here at the Aussie. But dropping two sets by 1 & 2, it means he was off, not that Jannik was on fire.

by Suliso From extended highlights I saw Novak was indeed flat, but Jannik was serving superbly.

So far Zverev is dominating the second SF... If it stays like this means we'll at last have a new GS champion.

by ashkor87 This Sinner is about 20% better than last year ..Zverev is playing very well too but I think Sinner will still have the edge..he is more aggressive...

by Fastbackss Really think zverev needs to finish in this breaker and not get into an extended sets slog.

It's like boxing Rocky - he wants it to devolve into a street fight

by Suliso It worked out against Alcaraz despite losing the third set tiebreak... Same for Sinner vs Djokovic.

by Suliso All my talk about Zverev vs Sinner was useless, not that I particularly mind!

Sinner's record vs Medvedev is also negative (3-6), but the dynamics is very different. Daniil started out 6-0, but Jannik has won the last three times (all last fall). I think he has it slightly easier in this match up.

5th GS final for Medvedev and hoping for this 2nd title. He has lost twice to Djokovic and twice to Nadal in the final. Of course this is also his 2nd straight GS final.

by Owendonovan No Grand Slam for Djokovic this year. I'd prefer neither the Russian nor the Belarussian win anymore matches here. Nice to see Hsieh grab a trophy here too.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:57 pm All my talk about Zverev vs Sinner was useless, not that I particularly mind!

Sinner's record vs Medvedev is also negative (3-6), but the dynamics is very different. Daniil started out 6-0, but Jannik has won the last three times (all last fall). I think he has it slightly easier in this match up.

5th GS final for Medvedev and hoping for this 2nd title. He has lost twice to Djokovic and twice to Nadal in the final. Of course this is also his 2nd straight GS final.
Medvedev has come back from 2 sets down twice in this tournament. He's not at his best but also not going down easily. I picked him at the beginning, when I thought Djokovic wasn't 100% physically, and I'm sticking with him. He has the belief. I'm not sure where Sinner's belief is yet. Maybe he has it after beating Djokovic twice last fall.

by Fastbackss
Fastbackss wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:26 am Really think zverev needs to finish in this breaker and not get into an extended sets slog.

It's like boxing Rocky - he wants it to devolve into a street fight
I wish I had taken a look at the live odds for Medvedev instead of posting this :bang:

by meganfernandez Medvedev yelling KARMA! KARMA! after the match is the moment of the tournament for me. Was down 2 sets to love and not looking good, evidently. i didnt see the match.

Edit: that's what Tennis Twitter SAID he was mouthing. He said in the press conference that it wasn't - he was saying something about mentality to his team. I believe it - it actually doesn't look like he's saying "karma" in the clip.

by mick1303
Suliso wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:57 pm All my talk about Zverev vs Sinner was useless, not that I particularly mind!

I think he already has 5 (US19, AO21, US21, AO22, US23). So this will be his 6th. And if he loses (which looks quite likely given the load disparity) he'll be the one-slam winner with the most GS-finals, separating himself from Roddick.

by ashkor87 Sinner was simply better in every department today than Djokovic. True that Djokovic did not play well but I don't know what he could have done..he must have felt he was playing a younger, quicker version of himself...

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:49 pm Sinner was simply better in every department today than Djokovic. True that Djokovic did not play well but I don't know what he could have done..he must have felt he was playing a younger, quicker version of himself...
I think he was so far off his level, something must have been wrong. Illness or injury mostly likely... twitter is speculating about the humidity, but I think illness is more likely. That wasn't even his C level.

by JTContinental Novak of course saying he’s never played so badly at a grand slam, to sort if denegrate Sinner’s victory. Not the first time he’s done that after a slam loss either.

When I went to bed last night, Zverev was up 2 sets to love, so Medvedev helped the ATP avoid a PR nightmare. The probably should put a domestic abuse policy in place going forward, but I know they won’t.

by JTContinental
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:45 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:49 pm Sinner was simply better in every department today than Djokovic. True that Djokovic did not play well but I don't know what he could have done..he must have felt he was playing a younger, quicker version of himself...
I think he was so far off his level, something must have been wrong. Illness or injury mostly likely... twitter is speculating about the humidity, but I think illness is more likely. That wasn't even his C level.
I also think that Sinner has his number. If Novak was sick or seriously injured he would have talked about it ad nauseum in his pressers like he usually does. This match felt a little like the changing of the guard and Novak’s domination period might be reaching its expiration date.

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:04 pm
I also think that Sinner has his number. If Novak was sick or seriously injured he would have talked about it ad nauseum in his pressers like he usually does. This match felt a little like the changing of the guard and Novak’s domination period might be reaching its expiration date.
I've only seen clips, not the whole match, but my impression is that Novak was not even close to himself. He was clearly sick or off. I'm guessing sick. I don't think it means Sinner has his number or Novak is slipping. We don't know yet.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by JTContinental
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:17 pm
JTContinental wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:04 pm

I've only seen clips, not the whole match, but my impression is that Novak was not even close to himself. He was clearly sick or off. I'm guessing sick. I don't think it means Sinner has his number or Novak is slipping. We don't know yet.
I've also only seen clips, but Novak is always sick or injured and still wins. To me, it's part of his cult of personality legacy now. As for Sinner maybe having his number, time will tell, but I imagine it's a short list of people who have beaten Novak 3 of their last 4 meetings.

by Owendonovan I wish Medvedev said, "Yes, I was screaming Karma. What about it?"

by ashkor87
could be just the heat.. not easy for someone who generally plays in cooler night time conditions..

by Suliso It's not very hot in Melbourne this year.

by SpeakNoEvil Sinner looked excellent. Yes, Djokovic came out a little flat and made errors you wouldn't normally expect him to make, but Sinner playing so well made it difficult for him to find any sort of rhythm. And when Djokovic did raise his game in the third, Sinner was still largely playing better. To allow Djokovic no break points at all is really quite something. Also, good composure on Sinner's part to close it out.

It's obviously too soon to write Djokovic off, though you have to think at some point that sharp decline everyone's been expecting for years now is coming. 37 this year. There were signs last year he was struggling to match some of the younger players physically, though more often than not he still found a way to win. Then again, it was only a couple of months ago that he looked as good as ever in the ATP finals. Will be very interesting to see if he can bounce back at Roland Garros, where I favour Alcaraz to triumph.

Medvedev's really ridden his luck but credit to him for digging down and coming out on top in another five-setter.

by jazzyg
JTContinental wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:03 pm Novak of course saying he’s never played so badly at a grand slam, to sort if denegrate Sinner’s victory. Not the first time he’s done that after a slam loss either.

When I went to bed last night, Zverev was up 2 sets to love, so Medvedev helped the ATP avoid a PR nightmare. The probably should put a domestic abuse policy in place going forward, but I know they won’t.
You cherry picked a quote to validate your hatred of Djokovic. He was very complimentary of Sinner's game a minute later. Anyone who has followed Djokovic at all knows he is very respectful of his opponents after matches--far more so than Federer, who was much worse in the sour grapes department.

The fact is Djokovic did play terribly. I have a feeling Sinner would have beaten him no matter his level, but for him to pretend he did not play horribly out of deference to Sinner would be disingenuous.