WTA 500 Stuttgart 4/15 - 4/21 2024

To talk about both tours
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: WTA 500 Stuttgart 4/15 - 4/21 2024

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:12 pm Ryba pretty much outclassed Kostyuk..didn't expect that .
If you're Kostyuk, is it deflating to knock off three Top 10 opponents and then lose by that score, thinking you're still so far away from winning titles? Or do you take away the positives and know you can be more competitive against the very best soon? Ther are factors like managing your energy in these one-week events, after so many big wins. There's the matchup. There are plenty of reasons for Kostyuk to be encouraged and know she can still improve. But it's easy to be deflated, too.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

meganfernandez wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:30 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:33 am Absolutely no surprise that Elena has no driver's license.
Just in character.
isn't it expensive is some countries to get a driver's license, unlike the US? It's not a given you'll get a license the day you're legally old enough, like it is here. For you non-Americans, do you have to pay a lot annually or just once?
So far as I now, every country requires you to pass a test..sometimes it is cursory...I have young friends who have a license but dont actually know how to drive..a pretty dangerous situation, actually. The UK is very strict, and the test is also very tough..
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I think Rybakina showed the difference in class between the big 3 and the rest...Kostyuk clearly isn't in that class yet, and may never be..but she will win points, make a ton of money, earn a high rank . Not a bad future to contemplate.

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:44 pm I think Rybakina showed the difference in class between the big 3 and the rest...Kostyuk clearly isn't in that class yet, and may never be..but she will win points, make a ton of money, earn a high rank . Not a bad future to contemplate.
Of course, she will have a great career but I'm sure she wants to win big titles. She should have that ambition - she's good enough. She and her team can manage the disappointment - it's one of the things elite athletes have to do. But I wish I knew how she was feeling about this. Maybe it's in the transcript, but we have to work so hard as fans to find out. Most of this information just isn't available.

When I was at BJK Cup, I was astounded at how happy Hanne Vanderwinkle was after losing the last rubber, against Pegula. She had played Navarro super, super close the night before, and I thought the team had a chance in the tie after those close singles matches on day 1. But Pegula was looser on Saturday and Vanderwinkel was overwhelmed. I thought she might be upset that she wasn't even competitive and lost the tie for the team, but she wasn't at all. She was happy about the whole experience, and Wim Fisette probably managed their expectations, and Pegula was just too good that day anyway. Very different to Kostyuk's circumstances, but it was a good reminder that I really can't relate to pro tennis players or assume I know how they would feel.

And of course Vanderwinkle had nothing to be upset about, but she was in much better spirits after a beatdown to lose the tie than I expected.

She was also delightful and is a great athlete. Just 19 years old. I hope she gets into the Top 100, but she's also in med school and taking it year by year. She might not choose tennis in the end.

Sorry, I got off topic re: Stuttgart.

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:39 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:30 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:33 am Absolutely no surprise that Elena has no driver's license.
Just in character.
isn't it expensive is some countries to get a driver's license, unlike the US? It's not a given you'll get a license the day you're legally old enough, like it is here. For you non-Americans, do you have to pay a lot annually or just once?
So far as I now, every country requires you to pass a test..sometimes it is cursory...I have young friends who have a license but dont actually know how to drive..a pretty dangerous situation, actually. The UK is very strict, and the test is also very tough..
Have to pass a test in the US, too, but it's easy. And it's cheap... just pay when we renew the license every 5-10 years or something, I can't remember, a nd it's less than $100 and we don't have to retake the test. I thought a license costs over $1,000 in some European countries, and I wondered if that's just once.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Yes, very true that none of us will ever know how it feels inside, as a professional player, to be thrashed by someone, even by a top player...which is why I really liked the essay about Michael Joyce in String Theory. ..
How your aspirations are shaped, and managed, is so different from player to player. .
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:55 pm ...

Have to pass a test in the US, too, but it's easy. And it's cheap... just pay when we renew the license every 5-10 years or something, I can't remember, a nd it's less than $100 and we don't have to retake the test. I thought a license costs over $1,000 in some European countries, and I wondered if that's just once.
Colombia.
Have to pass a test, and you must have a certificate from a driving school that you have received training. The driving school is mandatory for the first time, from then on, if you always renew you don't have to do it again. If you let your license expire for over one year, you start from scratch.
The test is actually very complex, and it includes a physical. Sight, hearing, reflexes and phycological profiling.
Total expenditure is about $350, which is considerable in Colombia.

But I don't think Elena can't pay for her license ;)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Wow, she smiled after MP. What an outburst!
I can only say that I saw only that point, but there is a lot more topspin in the FH than before. if that point was indicative.

WTA 500 Stuttgart 4/15 - 4/21 2024

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote:Yes, very true that none of us will ever know how it feels inside, as a professional player, to be thrashed by someone, even by a top player...which is why I really liked the essay about Michael Joyce in String Theory. ..
How your aspirations are shaped, and managed, is so different from player to player. .
I watched Kostyuk’s press conference. She said her level was 90% about her fatigue. She also said she never thought she could have a week like this week … which I find so strange, like Navarro saying she never thought she would win a WTA title. They really don’t think they are capable of these things?

Kostyuk isn’t deflated, btw. And she doesn’t consider this a breakthrough week. Just doesn’t think about her results that way, like an outsider (for lack of a better word) would. It doesn’t feel like that to her. She looks at it as a great week she is proud of, and next week she has another goal.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Good to know that about Marta
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:42 pm
To me, "My mom and my coach will be driving......" Is just weird to me. My mom and my coach did not share things like cars.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:55 am
ashkor87 wrote:Yes, very true that none of us will ever know how it feels inside, as a professional player, to be thrashed by someone, even by a top player...which is why I really liked the essay about Michael Joyce in String Theory. ..
I watched Kostyuk’s press conference. She said her level was 90% about her fatigue. She also said she never thought she could have a week like this week … which I find so strange, like Navarro saying she never thought she would win a WTA title. They really don’t think they are capable of these things?

Kostyuk isn’t deflated, btw. And she doesn’t consider this a breakthrough week. Just doesn’t think about her results that way, like an outsider (for lack of a better word) would. It doesn’t feel like that to her. She looks at it as a great week she is proud of, and next week she has another goal.
I believe that is a good approach. She had a better week than all other players, except one. So, don't boast of anything (you did not win the tournament) but remember how well you did.
A proper balance.