Racquets/Strings

Talk about your racquets, your strings, shoes and yes, your balls.
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Re: Racquets/Strings

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

The Wilson Clash racquets are awesome. I use the Clash 108 from Wilson with the Wilson NXT 16G string. I also use Wilson bags to hold all of my tennis gear.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I would guess you are a baseliner with two-handed BH. I have not tried that Clash, but that would be too much power for me. I am thinking of moving UP and that to me means going from 95 to 98. I need a lot of control on my volleys and, when I tried the Clash 100 I felt it a bit too spongy and flexible for my FH volley.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:11 pm I would guess you are a baseliner with two-handed BH. I have not tried that Clash, but that would be too much power for me. I am thinking of moving UP and that to me means going from 95 to 98. I need a lot of control on my volleys and, when I tried the Clash 100 I felt it a bit too spongy and flexible for my FH volley.
I am more of a baseline player and I use my speed to my advantage. I do have a two handed BH who loves to move my opponent all over the court. My coach tells me that my two hand BH is my more consistent of my shots. My forehand can be deadly at times, but it can also disappear at times. I work on my strength all the time and I have come a very long way with that. I certainly don't overpower my opponents that I play that are my age and I find myself struggling sometimes against girls that are older than me. I guess that will improve over time. My speed however is what really gets me the results a lot.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I was also a speedster, but I used it to come to net and finish with a volley.
But I also lacked power, so I could get blown off court by more powerful players. So, later in life, when I could see that my speed was starting to wane, I actually started to put more power, specially on my FH (my one handed BH was my best shot). And guess what? I was able to start hitting with more omph and eventually my FH, which was my weak side, became my new weapon. I could, against the people I was training with, hit two or three inside out FH's into their BH and then go inside in. I would say I was able to do that successfully 50% of the times.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:39 pm I was also a speedster, but I used it to come to net and finish with a volley.
But I also lacked power, so I could get blown off court by more powerful players. So, later in life, when I could see that my speed was starting to wane, I actually started to put more power, specially on my FH (my one handed BH was my best shot). And guess what? I was able to start hitting with more omph and eventually my FH, which was my weak side, became my new weapon. I could, against the people I was training with, hit two or three inside out FH's into their BH and then go inside in. I would say I was able to do that successfully 50% of the times.
I am still working on my volleys and even though I wouldn't say I was awful at it, I am not going to change my game to start serving and volleying now after all these years of tracing the baseline. I really feel my strength will build as I work on it and as my body continues to fill out. I am not looking to really bulk up, but more just add muscle instead of I guess just bones and skin. Another thing my coach is really working with me is my mental game. I mentioned my forehand from time to time flies out the window. Sometimes when this happens and especially when I am playing a more experienced player everything else seems to go out the window as well. That is something I really need to work on. I suppose every young player no matter what level they are playing at goes through that. I just have to have a more solid mental game if I want to be successful in the college game. Now a lot of times I can get by talking and yelling at myself on court, but when I am in college that isn't going to fly.

I also enjoy playing with older players with more experience than myself because I learn a lot from them. In many ways I don't care if I lose to say an 18 year old girl if I learn something. Many times I learn how to play differently against stronger opponents and how to tweak my game a little to try and help me through the match. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I remember one match when I was 14 and the girl I was playing was 17 and much stronger. At the end of the match I lost 6-3, 6-4. We came to the net and she told me I played a great match. I said to her I lost. She said it doesn't always have to do with Wins and Losses. I didn't know what she meant at the moment, but now I do. I learned a lot from her and that match that day.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I would agree with your opponent that day. It took me a long time to get what I consider is the proper balance: if your goal out there is to WIN, you will be disappointed a lot of times. If your goal is to play as well as you can, and learn a bit more that day, your success on court will be always there.
Heck, I feel that my improvement in the last few years, in which I learned so many more little tricks, was way better than my improvement when I was in my twenties. I could not cover up mistakes by simply getting to everything, so I had to develop a better game. My FH, nowadays, is at its best ever.
It is just that I don't get to the same amount of balls as before :D

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:26 pm I would agree with your opponent that day. It took me a long time to get what I consider is the proper balance: if your goal out there is to WIN, you will be disappointed a lot of times. If your goal is to play as well as you can, and learn a bit more that day, your success on court will be always there.
Heck, I feel that my improvement in the last few years, in which I learned so many more little tricks, was way better than my improvement when I was in my twenties. I could not cover up mistakes by simply getting to everything, so I had to develop a better game. My FH, nowadays, is at its best ever.
My grandpa told me every time that I step out on the court there should be 3 things I set out to accomplish. I should learn at least one new thing, play the best I can, and always have the most fun I can. I always keep those things in my mind when I play and it really keeps the pressure of the competition down for me.

This season my 10th grade year was my first year of tennis at my school because Covid cancelled my 9th grade year. I was awarded the Girls #1 Singles player this past season which doesn't happen very often to an underclass student. I could have had a ton of pressure on me, but my regular coach told me to just focus on my game and not worry about the results. He said if I play my game the results will come. He was correct as I went all the way to the Private School Girls QF this past season.

Getting back to the racquets though, I do feel that the Wilson Clash 108 gives me the power and control and feel that I need and would recommend it for any intermediate to advanced player.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Oh, racquets are so personal. It is like a dress/suit. What fits you, will not necessarily fit somebody else.
I am very partial to Wilson. My very first racquet was a little something called the Wilson Match Point. An aluminum contraption, machine made, pre-strung. From then, on to a T-2000 (we are talking 70's here). On and on, so I am still stuck with NCodes II right now, because I really don't need to change and I like that frame (it is the same that was started with the Pro Staff's Classic). But the important thing is how you feel about it.
Also, I will say that I looked it up (your Clash 108) and it is s gorgeous frame. That also counts :)
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:56 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:26 pm I would agree with your opponent that day. It took me a long time to get what I consider is the proper balance: if your goal out there is to WIN, you will be disappointed a lot of times. If your goal is to play as well as you can, and learn a bit more that day, your success on court will be always there.
My grandpa told me every time that I step out on the court there should be 3 things I set out to accomplish. I should learn at least one new thing, play the best I can, and always have the most fun I can. I always keep those things in my mind when I play and it really keeps the pressure of the competition down for me.

This season my 10th grade year was my first year of tennis at my school because Covid cancelled my 9th grade year. I was awarded the Girls #1 Singles player this past season which doesn't happen very often to an underclass student. I could have had a ton of pressure on me, but my regular coach told me to just focus on my game and not worry about the results. He said if I play my game the results will come. He was correct as I went all the way to the Private School Girls QF this past season.
Your grandpa sounds like a wise man.

Leylah Fernandez's father had a similar approach with her. When she was younger, he didn't care if she won or lost matches, as long as she continued to learn, and as long as she tried her best and enjoyed herself.
The approach obviously worked with Leylah.

As for racquets... I'm currently using Head Prestige Classic 600 frames, along with iPrestige Mids (same size as the 600). The iPrestige is slightly stiffer in feel. The Prestige Classic is a racquet which first appeared in the '80s... and the iPrestige came out in 2001. I haven't found anything that plays close to these two frames in anything that's been made in the past 20 years.

If you ever have the chance to hit with an old frame - be it wood, fibreglass, or one of the early graphite frames from the '70s or '80s, I encourage you to do so (except the T2000 - that would probably turn you off of tennis forever :lol: ). Most of the old frames have so much more feel than the racquets made after about the year 2000. And they're heavier, too - which I personally like, as they tend to absorb more of the shock.

Let us know if ever you try an old frame at some point.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Deuce wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:26 am

Leylah Fernandez's father had a similar approach with her. When she was younger, he didn't care if she won or lost matches, as long as she continued to learn, and as long as she tried her best and enjoyed herself.

As for racquets... I'm currently using Head Prestige Classic 600 frames, along with iPrestige Mids (same size as the 600). The iPrestige is slightly stiffer in feel. The Prestige Classic is a racquet which first appeared in the '80s... and the iPrestige came out in 2001. I haven't found anything that plays close to these two frames in anything that's been made in the past 20 years.

If you ever have the chance to hit with an old frame - be it wood, fibreglass, or one of the early graphite frames from the '70s or '80s, I encourage you to do so (except the T2000 - that would probably turn you off of tennis forever :lol: ). Most of the old frames have so much more feel than the racquets made after about the year 2000. And they're heavier, too - which I personally like, as they tend to absorb more of the shock.

Leylah is only 3 years older than me and seems so mature on the court. That right there is amazing to me. Players like her Emma Raducanu and Coco Gauff amaze me with that. They all must have all had some great influences in their lives to be that way. I know I wouldn't be as far as I am with my game without the people that have supported me along the way and I just don't mean coaches. My family even includes my two goofy older brothers who have come to a lot of my matches. They both have gone the Lacrosse way and I have sat through their games as well. My mom is really my #1 supporter and drives me everywhere I need to go. My dad was also a great supporter of me and my game and even though he lost his life while working as a Police Officer, I know he is still looking down on me and I hope I am making him smile. My grandpa has not only helped me with supplying me with just about all the equipment I need and lessons, but he has taught me so much over the years with his stories about the game and just his love of the game. He is the one who really has shown what it means to love the game. Then of course there are my coaches that I have had since I was 5 years old and even my school coach. All amazing people who have shown me what true leadership is and how to make my game better.

I think finding a frame that feels comfortable for you sometimes is hard work in itself, especially when you are learning the game. Once you become more of an intermediate to advanced player than I think it becomes easier to find something that works with your game.

I am not sure if I would ever use an olde wood or fiberglass, or early graphite racquet in a tournament, but to mess around with I think I would get some enjoyment out of that.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:10 am
Deuce wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:26 am

Leylah is only 3 years older than me and seems so mature on the court. That right there is amazing to me. Players like her Emma Raducanu and Coco Gauff amaze me with that. They all must have all had some great influences in their lives to be that way. I know I wouldn't be as far as I am with my game without the people that have supported me along the way and I just don't mean coaches. My family even includes my two goofy older brothers who have come to a lot of my matches. They both have gone the Lacrosse way and I have sat through their games as well. My mom is really my #1 supporter and drives me everywhere I need to go. My dad was also a great supporter of me and my game and even though he lost his life while working as a Police Officer, I know he is still looking down on me and I hope I am making him smile. My grandpa has not only helped me with supplying me with just about all the equipment I need and lessons, but he has taught me so much over the years with his stories about the game and just his love of the game. He is the one who really has shown what it means to love the game. Then of course there are my coaches that I have had since I was 5 years old and even my school coach. All amazing people who have shown me what true leadership is and how to make my game better.
^ Sounds like you've got good people around you. That's incredibly important. Tennis may be a solo sport on the court... but it definitely takes a support system (financially, physically, emotionally, psychologically).

No doubt your dad is proud of you. :D
How old were you when your father passed away?
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:10 am I think finding a frame that feels comfortable for you sometimes is hard work in itself, especially when you are learning the game. Once you become more of an intermediate to advanced player than I think it becomes easier to find something that works with your game.

I am not sure if I would ever use an olde wood or fiberglass, or early graphite racquet in a tournament, but to mess around with I think I would get some enjoyment out of that.
^ Yes - I didn't mean that you should use those racquets in a tournament (unless you're playing some sort of 'retro' tournament ;) ). But just if you have the opportunity to hit with one, you should - to see what they feel like compared to today's racquets.

I like taking old racquets with me to tournaments I go to watch - whether it's a pro tournament or a Junior tournament. I sometimes try to convince the players to hit with one of my oldies - and I'm sometimes even successful in convincing them.
Other times, people see me walking around with an old racquet, and they'll come and ask questions about it, or comment that they used to play with it...
A few years ago, at a Challenger tournament, I was carrying around a Head Vilas (wood) racquet (in great condition), and one of the player's coaches came up to me and said "Wow... Wow... I can't believe it... Wow... Can I hold it?" I said "Sure." He gently took the racquet in his hands and said "Oh... this brings back so many memories! I got to #18 in the world with this racquet."
But I had no idea who he was - and still don't know! :oops: :lol:
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

I was 12 years old when he passed away so it wasn't that long ago.

Yes, I do have an awesome family.

I am pretty sure my grandpa has some old metal and maybe even some wooden racquets stored in his basement. I have no idea what type of racquet they are, but I bet he does. It would be fun just to hit some tennis balls up against a wall with one. I wonder if I would have the control I have now with the racquet I use? I highly doubt it. I also doubt I could generate the speed with one of those racquets like with the Wilson Clash 108. It would be fun just to get the feel of one. Do those old time racquets use the same sort of strings or was it all nylon or polyester strings back then?
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:39 am I was 12 years old when he passed away so it wasn't that long ago.
That's really too bad.
I like this quotation...
"Death may end a life, but it doesn't end a relationship."
You will carry your father with you everywhere you go for the rest of your life. You'll know what he would say in situations... what he would think... what he would do... And so the relationship continues.
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:39 am I am pretty sure my grandpa has some old metal and maybe even some wooden racquets stored in his basement. I have no idea what type of racquet they are, but I bet he does. It would be fun just to hit some tennis balls up against a wall with one. I wonder if I would have the control I have now with the racquet I use? I highly doubt it. I also doubt I could generate the speed with one of those racquets like with the Wilson Clash 108. It would be fun just to get the feel of one. Do those old time racquets use the same sort of strings or was it all nylon or polyester strings back then?
It was mostly gut and a pretty basic nylon for strings. Lots of pro players who weren't in the top 30 or so used basic nylon. Polyester only became popular in about the late '90s, I think.

Don't be afraid to use an old racquet on a court, not just against a wall - you'll get a better idea of its strengths and weaknesses as compared to your current racquet if you hit on a court.
No, the old racquets did not have nearly the power that the current racquets have. But they can help you to concentrate more on hitting the ball squarely, due to the smaller sweet spot - they're much less forgiving than the bigger racquets of today. But when you hit the sweet spot, it feels great.
R.I.P. Amal...

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Deuce wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:26 am
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:39 am I was 12 years old when he passed away so it wasn't that long ago.
That's really too bad.
I like this quotation...
"Death may end a life, but it doesn't end a relationship."
You will carry your father with you everywhere you go for the rest of your life. You'll know what he would say in situations... what he would think... what he would do... And so the relationship continues.
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:39 am I am pretty sure my grandpa has some old metal and maybe even some wooden racquets stored in his basement. I have no idea what type of racquet they are, but I bet he does. It would be fun just to hit some tennis balls up against a wall with one. I wonder if I would have the control I have now with the racquet I use? I highly doubt it. I also doubt I could generate the speed with one of those racquets like with the Wilson Clash 108. It would be fun just to get the feel of one. Do those old time racquets use the same sort of strings or was it all nylon or polyester strings back then?
It was mostly gut and a pretty basic nylon for strings. Lots of pro players who weren't in the top 30 or so used basic nylon. Polyester only became popular in about the late '90s, I think.

Don't be afraid to use an old racquet on a court, not just against a wall - you'll get a better idea of its strengths and weaknesses as compared to your current racquet if you hit on a court.
No, the old racquets did not have nearly the power that the current racquets have. But they can help you to concentrate more on hitting the ball squarely, due to the smaller sweet spot - they're much less forgiving than the bigger racquets of today. But when you hit the sweet spot, it feels great.
Thank you so much.

I will definitely ask my grandpa if he has an old racquet of some sort lying around that I can hit around with for fun. I guess I am a bit spoiled with the equipment technology of today compared to what they had to use in the past. I wonder if a player like Borg or McEnroe had this sort of equipment today if they would be just as good as like a Nadal, Djokovic or Federer? Or even on the ladies side with Chris Evert or Martina Navratilova playing against a Serena or Venus?
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:47 am Thank you so much.

I will definitely ask my grandpa if he has an old racquet of some sort lying around that I can hit around with for fun. I guess I am a bit spoiled with the equipment technology of today compared to what they had to use in the past. I wonder if a player like Borg or McEnroe had this sort of equipment today if they would be just as good as like a Nadal, Djokovic or Federer? Or even on the ladies side with Chris Evert or Martina Navratilova playing against a Serena or Venus?
It's nice to see a 16 year old who knows the names of players who played 20 years before she was born...

The game was played differently back then. There was less power, so players had to rely more on variety and creativity.
And there was the wonderful contrast between the baseliners and the serve & volley players. Because of that contrast of styles, it was so much fun to watch Evert vs. Navratilova, and Borg or Lendl vs. McEnroe...

I put this up in another thread a few days ago... Here, you can see tennis from the '80s - and compare it to today's tennis...

R.I.P. Amal...