Racquets/Strings

Talk about your racquets, your strings, shoes and yes, your balls.
LilMissBubbles United States of America

Re: Racquets/Strings

Post by LilMissBubbles »

{color=#FFFFFF].[/color}
Ainsley United States of America

Post by Ainsley »

Racquet: Wilson Clash 100
Strings: Wilson NXT 17/1.24 mm
Scoob Canada

Post by Scoob »

When I first started playing the game of tennis, I used a Donnay Wooden Pro Racquet. Then as I got older I switched to the Prince Pro Racquet. I finally for Christmas one year in the 80's got the Prince Boron Racquet which I have had and used since the mid 80's. I am actually thinking of finally retiring that Racquet, but still sticking with the Prince brand of Racquets and purchasing the Prince Textreme Tour 100.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Just noticed that several players have switched from the Wilson Blade (recognizable by the polarized green color) to the new Pro Staff v14 (in a gorgeous golden polarized). But they are rather different racquets, so the switch is not trivial.
I gather that with Roger no longer playing, they have to find new players to push the PS. At $279, a top of the line product. Wonder how it plays (will never be able to afford it).
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

^ As I've said many times, it's a very safe bet that the racquet has not changed - only the paint job has changed.
Pro players notice all differences in feel - even small ones - and once they get accustomed to a feel they like, they're not going to be switching to a racquet with a different feel and different characteristics very often.

This is all about marketing and racquet companies trying to sell their new models to the public through the dishonest deception of pretending that the pro players are changing racquets every 2 years because the new racquets are 'better'.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Noticing more players using Technofibre's racquets. Today I saw that Bublik is using them, and Grenier too.
I know, nothing to write home about, but these racquets were virtually unknown a couple of years ago. Maybe a story like Babolat (which only made strings 25 years ago).
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I posted this in another thread because I couldn't find this one. The last time I tried to move something it did not go well so I'm reposting it here.

Thanks Ponchi!
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And I posted that the days of players like Borg (80 lbs), Pete (80 lbs) and Lendl (72.5) are long gone.
People talk a lot about the balls and racquets. We do not talk about how much the strings have changed the game. For us oldies, stringing a racquet with cat-gut (really, sheep gut) at such low tensions was a recipe for disaster. Now, you can string this low and get the control you need.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I got technifibre strings after hearing Medvedev praise them ..they are really good, in fact.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

He is signed with TF, so of course he praises them.
They were excellent in the past; I played with them for a while and were great, so I don't think that they would have gone down on quality.
And the racquet must be good, because both him, Iga and a few others are playing with it.
tennisking24 United States of America

Post by tennisking24 »

Tennis racquets are fascinating pieces of equipment, evolving over time to optimize player performance. I'm curious about the ongoing advancements in materials and design, such as carbon fiber frames and varying string patterns, and how they affect play style. Are traditional wooden racquets making a comeback among purists? How do manufacturers balance power, control, and maneuverability in their designs? Furthermore, with the rise of customization options, how do players navigate the multitude of choices to find the perfect racquet for their game? This depends on the skill level and age group of the players to explore more about this topic do check out this page: tennislocation.com/skill-specific-tennis-rackets

ADMIN EDIT:
Link removed due to violation of forum policies (no links in first five posts)