by JazzNU Huge news. It would be big at any time, but especially with the NBC Sports announcement earlier this year.

by ponchi101 They must be securing the last possible sports before all of them move to their own Online platforms. I don't know if the NHL has something like the NFL or NBA passes, where you stream all the games online.

by JazzNU NHL does have NHL pass like the other leagues. But hockey fans don't tend to get the coverage they want for their sport, and not getting a lot of attention on ESPN has been one of their steady complaints. And they are right, I hear more about the UFC on ESPN than I do about the NHL. If they have a contract with you, they will cover you more, so this is a big deal. And also just easier access on TV. But in particular, since they were about to start having to try to figure out when USA Network was a sports network instead of a channel airing hour-long dramas, this is truly an upgrade.

by JazzNU Even bigger than I was thinking. ABC? Hulu too? Wow. NHL is horrendous at marketing itself, let's see if this tips the scale in their favor.

by JazzNU In case you hadn't heard. And it's the Brazilian variant.

by ti-amie I can't like your last post Jazz but wow.

by Deuce It is said that it's the Brazil variant that has hit the Canucks hockey team.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/kn ... eek-later/

by JazzNU
ti-amie wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:43 am I can't like your last post Jazz but wow.
Oh it's scary. It's apparently been eye opening for at least hockey fans in Canada but sounds like people in BC in general are paying attention too especially to the variants being a different animal, because people have been telling themselves for the last year that young and healthy don't get sick. But several on the team have been described as very ill. So very scary.

A story that should be getting much more attention in the sports world than it is.

by Deuce B.C. was the envy of Canada during the 1st wave of the virus, as they had the fewest cases per capita among the more populated provinces.
By the 2nd wave, B.C. was no longer better than the rest of the country.
Now, in this 3rd wave - particularly over the past week or so -, B.C. is among the worst provinces in the country in terms of cases per capita. The Brazil variant seems to be hitting hard there.

It's quite remarkable, really - all it takes is 1 or 2 people to come back from another country, and within weeks, that 1 or 2 cases has spread to become thousands.

by ptmcmahon They weren’t the envy of us Atlantic Canadian provinces ;)

by Deuce More populated provinces, I said. :)

You guys in the Maritimes have been really good from the start. A bad day for you (per capita) would be a great day for the other provinces.
Keep it up!

by ti-amie

by Deuce Things are looking a bit better for the Canucks... The plan is for some players to get back on the ice practicing tomorrow, and for the team to play a game on Friday - pending the results of more COVID tests.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nh ... -1.5983059

by JazzNU Still not out of the woods unfortunately. Canucks have to keep all their facilities closed. Another player put into the protocol. Hopefully this will be the last one for them.

by ptmcmahon Season has been extended a week, mostly for the Canadian division. Montreal had a few games missed due to a couple positive tests a couple of weeks ago as well.

Also, trade deadline day! A little weird this year as usually am at work with it on all day...not the same with it hidden on one of my monitors.

by JazzNU

by JazzNU Very sad. Sounds like he was trying to get away from fireworks gone awry and fell.

by ti-amie There's an update to the above:

by JazzNU Yikes! Sounds very painful.

by ptmcmahon And hopefully that's the only newsworthy event from the NHL today!

by skatingfan
ptmcmahon wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:03 pm And hopefully that's the only newsworthy event from the NHL today!
You're absolutely right, because the Canadiens being swept would not be news. It's a 'Dog Bites Man' type of headline.

by JazzNU
ptmcmahon wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:03 pm And hopefully that's the only newsworthy event from the NHL today!
Newsworthy event! It was a good one, a very close one. They missed a prime opportunity in the beginning of OT, but made up for it soon after. Congrats on not getting swept.

by Fastbackss The mayor of Tampa publicly stated how she wanted the Lightning to lose game 4 so they could win at home. Hopefully for her sake karma isn't a you know what.

As for the blue Jackets goalie, he apparently was only 10 feet from it when it went off in his direction. He died from a "percussion" injury. Since it happened local (to me) they have been reporting on it a lot ( but couldn't bother to say the results of the game)

by ptmcmahon I wont lie, I had a similar reaction last night (to the goal.) Of course, part of it was also because overtime ending, was after midnight here and this AM daughter had swimming at 5...so I was also slightly happy I could go to bed :D

by ptmcmahon
skatingfan wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:39 pm
You're absolutely right, because the Canadiens being swept would not be news. It's a 'Dog Bites Man' type of headline.
Where's the dislike button! :D It's funny all my Bruins and Leafs fan friends seem to have woken up this week...the Leafs fans are the funniest as if they've completely forgotten round one.

by patrick
Fastbackss wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:26 am The mayor of Tampa publicly stated how she wanted the Lightning to lose game 4 so they could win at home. Hopefully for her sake karma isn't a you know what.

As for the blue Jackets goalie, he apparently was only 10 feet from it when it went off in his direction. He died from a "percussion" injury. Since it happened local (to me) they have been reporting on it a lot ( but couldn't bother to say the results of the game)

If Montreal wins the next 3 games(2 of them would be in Tampa), fans will be out to get her. People already are not happening with her stance on police issues, which she used to be the police Chief. She made that statement after the Canadian government would not waive the 14 day requirement which would have allowed the team family to come on short notice and celebrate with family

by skatingfan
ptmcmahon wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:46 am Where's the dislike button! :D It's funny all my Bruins and Leafs fan friends seem to have woken up this week...the Leafs fans are the funniest as if they've completely forgotten round one.
Leafs fans have definitely not forgotten round one - we're still furious - just because the Canadiens suck doesn't mean that the Leafs don't suck worse. :D

by JazzNU @ptmcmahon, I assume you already aren't a fan of his, but just in case you don't sufficiently hate him enough, thought I'd make sure you saw this. That t-shirt says "$18 M Over the Cap."

by ptmcmahon As a Packers fan too, Tampa Bay may be replacing Boston as my least favorite sports city. :) Although he is nowhere near Brad Marchand for my most hated player yet.

by JazzNU

by JazzNU

by JazzNU

by skatingfan Blackhawks investigation has ended, and Stan Bowman is out as General Manager.

The Hockey Guy gives a good run down here of the main players, and the timeline so far.

by skatingfan This podcast gives more of a breakdown of the findings of the report & a discussion of how things might be affects moving forward. Full disclosure, the host is my cousin.

by skatingfan Kyle Beach identifies himself as John Doe in Chicago Blackhawks scandal

Kyle Beach has identified himself as one of the victims alleging he was sexually assaulted by a former Chicago Blackhawks video coach.

Beach, who was identified as John Doe in legal filings, revealed his identity in an interview with TSN's Rick Westhead on Wednesday night. The accusations have not been heard or proven in court.

"I’ve suppressed this memory and buried this memory to chase my dreams and pursue the career that I loved and the game that I love of hockey," Beach said. "And the healing process is just beginning and yesterday was a huge step in that process. But until very recently, I did not talk about it, I did not discuss it, I didn’t think about it. And now that I’m beginning to heal, I begin to look back and it definitely had impacts on my life. I did stupid things, I acted out, I snapped … I did things that I never could imagine doing. I relied on alcohol, I relied on drugs and … I’m just so relieved with the news that came out yesterday, that I’ve been vindicated, and I can truly begin the healing process."

An independent review in response to two lawsuits filed against the franchise was revealed on Tuesday. The lawsuits allege former video coach Brad Aldrich sexually assaulted a player during the Blackhawks' run to the Stanley Cup in 2010.

Seeing Aldrich remain with the team during the Cup celebrations after the incident was reported was particularly hard for Beach to accept.

"The only way I could describe it was that I felt sick, I felt sick to my stomach," he said. "It was like his life was the same as the day before. Same every day. And then when they won, to see him paraded around lifting the Cup, at the parade, at the team pictures, at celebrations, it made me feel like nothing. It made me feel like I didn’t exist. It made me feel like, that I wasn’t important and … it made me feel like he was in the right and I was wrong."

The 31-year-old Beach was a member of the Blackhawks' AHL affiliate in 2010 and was called up to skate with the NHL squad. The native of Kelowna, B.C., was a first-round pick (11th overall) of the Blackhawks in the 2008 NHL Draft.

The forward stayed with Rockford through the first part of the 2013-14 season before heading to Sweden to play. He never suited up for the Blackhawks in a regular season or playoff game.

Telling his family the summer after it happened was also extremely difficult, Beach said.

"My mom cried for days," he said. "She felt responsible, like she should have protected me and there was nothing could do. After that first conversation with them, we never spoke about it again until very recently. I never brought it up and they respected my privacy. They asked if I was OK and let me talk about what I wanted to talk about.

"I did what I thought I had to do to survive, to continue chasing my dream and it was to not think about it, to not talk about it, ignore it, and that’s all I could do. I was threatened and my career was on the line. And if I had that in my head, there was no way I was gonna perform at the top of my capabilities."

The team issued a statement after the interview aired, commending Beach's "courage" for coming forward.

Earlier, the Chicago Sun-Times reported the Blackhawks will begin settlement talks with Susan Loggans, the lawyer representing Beach, next week.

The Blackhawks filed documents to dismiss two lawsuits on Wednesday, but the team told the Sun-Times it was simply following legal protocol.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/ky ... s-scandal/

by JazzNU It's quite shocking that the the Panthers allowed Quenneville to coach last night. I know they are off to a winning start in a way they never have been before, but man oh man is this an absolutely horrible look to not fire him immediately. Were they just, hoping no one would notice?

by skatingfan
JazzNU wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:32 pm It's quite shocking that the the Panthers allowed Quenneville to coach last night. I know they are off to a winning start in a way they never have been before, but man oh man is this an absolutely horrible look to not fire him immediately. Were they just, hoping no one would notice?
That is one of many shocking details that are coming to light in this case. Brad Aldrich, the offender in this case, was allowed to be on the ice when the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup, which was after the allegations had been made. Aldrich was allowed a day with the Cup in the Summer, which included bringing the Cup to his former High School. The Blackhawks apparently gave Aldrich a letter of recommendation, which allowed him to get a job at a high school in Michigan as an assistant coach where he later assaulted a 17 year-old. The reason that no one can confirm the existence of the recommendation letter is that Aldrich's employment file, and only Aldrich's employment file with the Blackhawks is missing.

by Deuce
JazzNU wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:32 pm It's quite shocking that the the Panthers allowed Quenneville to coach last night. I know they are off to a winning start in a way they never have been before, but man oh man is this an absolutely horrible look to not fire him immediately. Were they just, hoping no one would notice?
They have no grounds to fire him based only on the accusation of being involved in the cover-up. I suppose they could have removed him from his coaching position for a few games while the investigation continues - but I think that's all they could have done.
The law states innocent until proven guilty - not the other way around (although it's sometimes acted upon as if it were the latter).

In any case, the situation with Quenneville's coaching is now resolved - at least for the time being:

Quenneville Resigns as Panthers Coach

by skatingfan
Deuce wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:31 am The law states innocent until proven guilty - not the other way around (although it's sometimes acted upon as if it were the latter).
This isn't a legal process so that standard doesn't apply, and because the Blackhawks kept everything secret the statute of limitations has expired so there will be no criminal prosecution.

by JazzNU
skatingfan wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:19 pm
Deuce wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:31 am The law states innocent until proven guilty - not the other way around (although it's sometimes acted upon as if it were the latter).
This isn't a legal process so that standard doesn't apply, and because the Blackhawks kept everything secret the statute of limitations has expired so there will be no criminal prosecution.
Exactly. And the investigation and resulting report is also done, which is what the NHL is using. He lied and he helped to cover it up and his role has been outlined in there. For all intents and purposes, this is the guilty finding and he deserved to be fired, as does everyone else who was found to have contributed to the handling and coverup. Pretending we are still in the accusation phase is a joke.

by Deuce
It's not a legal process, but the standard of innocent until proven guilty would apply in a firing. If Quenneville were fired based only on the accusation of being involved in a cover-up, I believe he would have legal recourse to contest the firing. That is likely the reason that he wasn't fired.
But the Panthers probably saw this situation as a P.R. disaster which would only get worse - with the inherent losses of revenue that come with it -, and created a situation whereby Quenneville would 'resign' (with a 'push' from the organization).
JazzNU wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:45 pm
Exactly. And the investigation and resulting report is also done, which is what the NHL is using. He lied and he helped to cover it up and his role has been outlined in there. For all intents and purposes, this is the guilty finding and he deserved to be fired, as does everyone else who was found to have contributed to the handling and coverup. Pretending we are still in the accusation phase is a joke.
No, actually, it is not a joke. I believe it is fact. No official conclusion or verdict has been made or pronounced.
Guilt is not a "for all intents and purposes" thing. It is absolute.
Quenneville has neither admitted his guilt in helping to cover up the situation, nor has he been proven or found guilty of same. Based on some information, as well as his resignation as Florida's head coach, one can say that he "appears guilty", etc. - but that's all. Therefore, all there is concretely is the accusation that he was part of the cover-up.
Did he know of the incident? Possibly.
If he knew, how much did he know? We have no idea.
Did he have accurate information about the incident? We have no idea...

In the 'court of public opinion', people typically allow their emotions - and media stories - to help them reach conclusions - which can at times be premature, dangerous, as well as inaccurate.

Kevin Cheveldayoff was investigated for possibly being part of the cover-up, as well - he was the Assistant General Manager in Chicago at the time of the incidents. He is now the General Manager of the Winnipeg Jets. Yesterday, it was announced that he will not be punished by the NHL.
Does this mean he is guilty? No.
Does it mean he is not guilty? No.

We here have very little information on this subject compared with those who are investigating it - and certainly compared to those directly involved. And so it's not for us to pronounce absolute guilt or innocence.

by JazzNU Fans I've seen on social media are getting a little out of hand with how they are talking about this guy, but this is indeed great. But pump the brakes on the rest.

by ptmcmahon Out of hand in what way? He is legitimately one of the top players in the game (maybe #1 depending who you ask) so not sure what would be out of hand… not that I’ve looked.

Reminds me of a Bobby Orr goal, except by a forward.

by JazzNU
ptmcmahon wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:04 pm Out of hand in what way? He is legitimately one of the top players in the game (maybe #1 depending who you ask) so not sure what would be out of hand… not that I’ve looked.

Reminds me of a Bobby Orr goal, except by a forward.
There are typically several replies with hundreds of likes on highlights of him like this saying he's better than Gretzky. Better than Lemieux. I haven't seen Bobby's name mentioned much, but he's not better than him either. It's a bridge much too far for him at this point to even approach mention of him in the territory of the greatest of the greats.

by ptmcmahon I was going to say unless they are calling him the best of all time it’s not out of hand. But obviously they are :D so yes brakes should be pumped on that.

I more was saying the goal itself reminded me of one of Bobby Orr’s end to end rush goals (the ones Don Cherry gushed about.) Both basically start by one net and cover a full length of ice. This one just starts from the other teams net. :)

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ptmcmahon NHL shut down until at least December 26th... although I'm not 100% sure if the one game left for tonight is cancelled or not?

by Deuce ... and the Montreal Canadiens are desperately hoping that the entire remainder of the season is cancelled...
:D

by ptmcmahon We may win as many games either way (...yes I'm a Habs fans ...)

by mmmm8
ti-amie wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:03 pm
Can the NHL legally do that? Can the players not choose to go to represent their countries like some do for the World Championships?

by JazzNU
mmmm8 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:22 pm
Can the NHL legally do that? Can the players not choose to go to represent their countries like some do for the World Championships?
Yes, they did it in 2018 too.

by ptmcmahon I'm not a legal person but I imagine the contracts they signed with their NHL teams can control when/if they play.

by mmmm8 I had it mixed in my head about some players going in 2018, but it was just past World Championships where that happened.

by Deuce When the Olympics occur in the midst of the NHL season schedule, as is the case pretty much always, I imagine that the players are first and foremost bound to their NHL teams contractually.

As well, the NHL did clear space in their schedule to accommodate the Olympics - but with so many games over the past few weeks postponed due to matters directly relating to COVID-19, they need that clear time in the schedule to make up those games (assuming the virus situation allows it).
When they cleared the space in the NHL schedule, this scenario was understood as being a possibility due to things being unpredictable owing to the pandemic.

by skatingfan
mmmm8 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:22 pm Can the NHL legally do that? Can the players not choose to go to represent their countries like some do for the World Championships?
mmmm8 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:13 pm I had it mixed in my head about some players going in 2018, but it was just past World Championships where that happened.
The IIHF World Championships usually are played after the regular season of the NHL concludes so players on teams that missed the playoffs can play.

by ptmcmahon The NHL is also more accommodating to letting players play Olympics when they are in "good" time zones for North America...Asia isn't that.

by JazzNU Rocky Wirtz is the owner of the Chicago Blackhawks

by JazzNU

by JazzNU And NHL All Star Weekend is starting (with the very odd during the Olympics timing)

by JazzNU

by Scoob The NHL Playoffs are just a little more than a month away and it is probably my favourite time in sports. My question is when will a Canadian team hoist the Stanley Cup again. This season the Canadian Teams that have a chance of making the playoffs are the Toronto Maple Leafs, and outside chance for the Ottawa Senators, the Winnipeg Jets, The Edmonton Oilers, and an outside chance for the Calgary Flames. There really are only 2 Canadian teams this season that don't have a chance at making the playoffs and they are Vancouver and Montreal.

I expect once again that the Maple Leafs will be considered the best chance for a Canadian team to win it all, but we all know what happens every year with them. Edmonton has arguably the best player on the planet, but like in the past do they have the Goaltending to get them there? Winnipeg has a great Goalie and could be a team that shocks other teams in the playoffs in Hellebuyck gets hot. The problem is do they rely on him too much and will he burn out come playoff time? The Ottawa Senators are an interesting team and if they do get in they could cause some trouble for other teams. They are young and can be explosive at times and are streaky. They are also really inexperienced. The Calgary Flames if they get in could also cause trouble. They have a well rounded team and although the team is different then they have been in the past, they could cause trouble for other teams. They also have playoff experience.

I hope a Canadian team can pull this off and hoist the Stanley Cup this year.

by ptmcmahon As a die hard Hans fan I’d rather American teams keep winning it before the Leafs ever win another.

by Scoob
ptmcmahon wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:59 am As a die hard Hans fan I’d rather American teams keep winning it before the Leafs ever win another.
The way the Leafs are usually 1 and done in the playoffs you don't have to worry much about that. :lol:

I am a Winnipeg Jets fan so I am hoping for a good showing from them.

by patrick Regular season means nothing as Florida rallied from 3-1 deficit to eliminate the regular season record team in Boston. Florida tied the game with one minute left in regulation then won in overtime

by JazzNU Here's video of the final goal if you weren't watching.

by JazzNU
patrick wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:55 am Regular season means nothing as Florida rallied from 3-1 deficit to eliminate the regular season record team in Boston. Florida tied the game with one minute left in regulation then won in overtime
Indeed. The odds on favorites in both NHL and NBA bounced in the first rounds, with the Bruins being the overwhelming favorites given their record-setting season. Playoffs bring a different level of focus and intensity.

by JazzNU

by ptmcmahon As a die hard Habs fan I love it :D

Now, just need the Maple Leafs to lose next round. At least I won't have to choose who to cheer for between Leafs and Bruins!

by ti-amie I...

BLACKHAWKS GM
Corey Perry Getting Cut ...
UNRELATED TO BEDARD'S MOM

11/28/2023 3:44 PM PT

Chicago Blackhawks GM Kyle Davidson addressed the wild rumors surrounding Corey Perry shortly after he was kicked off the team ... saying the winger's contract termination had nothing to do with superstar Connor Bedard's mother.

Perry was placed on unconditional waivers following an internal investigation on Tuesday ... in which the team determined he "engaged in conduct that is unacceptable" and violated the terms of his contract and the Blackhawks' internal policies.

The move came on the heels of speculation Perry was involved in a personal relationship with Bedard's mom, Melanie ... and while the talk didn't hold much weight, many ran with it on social media.

Davidson cleared the air after the team washed its hands of Perry ... and even though he did not mention Bedard by name, it's clear that's what he was addressing.

"This does not involve any players or their families and anything that suggests otherwise or anyone that suggests otherwise is wildly inaccurate and, frankly, it's disgusting," Davidson said.

"This has been a tough situation and I understand you wanted answers. It was important that we took all the necessary steps before sharing more. I hope you understand that I may not be able to answer everything today, but I am going to be as open and honest as I can be given the situation and out of respect for those involved."

Davidson referred to the nature of Perry's violation as a "workplace matter."

As the Blackhawks statement said, Perry's contract will be terminated ASAP if he clears waivers.

https://www.tmz.com/2023/11/28/blackhaw ... edard-mom/

by ti-amie BTW I did not hear this from TMZ. It's all over NHL related social media.

Some are talking about a prior scandal relating to this team involving someone named Kyle Beach.

by skatingfan

by ti-amie What the NHL should be worried about:

Kris Jenner found Chicago on a map and is taking a private jet to that city as I type this.
/s

Seriously they pulled this guy off the ice mid game?

I understand what the guy in the center is trying to do and say but someone like me, who only becomes aware of the NHL during Stanley Cup time, was casually scrolling and saw a post about a team trying to deny a player slept with another players mother. No matter how mature you are or how much you understand that attractions happen and that these were two adults allegedly having an affair you are going to read that story and go WHOA! Who knew the NHL had this much ish going on?

When I saw Bedard's face I knew he was young but 18? Wow.

Thanks for the video!

BTW does the Blackhawks organization really s**k that badly?

by skatingfan
ti-amie wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:31 am BTW does the Blackhawks organization really s**k that badly?
Most of the previous management is gone, but the ownership is still there from this incident.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/new ... gggrch4x1g

by ti-amie Thanks @skatingfan. I went down a bit of a rabbit hole and it amazes me how this man kept being hired even after a sexual assault conviction in 2012. I don't remember this scandal making national sports news either but the current one is everywhere.

Kyle Beach deserved better.

by ptmcmahon Definitely was national news in Canada.