College Basketball Thread

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Curling, Marbula 1 and any other activity that we can think of!
JazzNU United States of America

College Basketball Thread

Post by JazzNU »

Just getting this thread started for the year since conference tournaments are in full swing and we're approaching Selection Sunday.

Last edited by JazzNU on Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
ptmcmahon Canada

Re: March Madness 2021

Post by ptmcmahon »

I have paid zero attention to college basketball this season... is the usual full March Madness going ahead? The tournament is perhaps the most universally enjoyed sport in our house. Been a few years since one of the kids didn't win the in house bracket challenge too :)
:steven:

Post by JazzNU »

Well, it's semi-regular. Depending on how old your kids are, I don't think the changes will be noticed by them much other than crowd size, but hopefully they've gotten used to that at recent sporting events.

Conference championships taking place this week. Some things changed for those, but not much. Locations were the biggest changes across the board. Some teams are using their own schools areas to play their games, so it could tip the balance a touch at times. Others aren't playing at their own arenas, but did change locations for a better setup to host the tournament. Like the Big Ten consolidated the men's and women's to the Big Ten home base to have a more centralized setup for testing and protocols.

The NCAA Tournament will take place entirely in Indiana (NCAA HQ are in Indy). There will be multiple sites, but nothing out of state like it usually is. We will be lacking somewhat in the atmosphere because of this with limited regional advantages at play. But there will be fans. I don't remember how many, but I think it depends on the actual size of the area. I don't remember the makeup of the fans, like family and friends, students, or general public.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

We were watching curling (I know I know :) ) last night and the cardboard cut out fans were first thing they noticed. As long as there are the games though that's the main thing.

Post by JazzNU »

There will be real fans, so hopefully that'll make it a bit better for them. It'll be a few thousand I think at most venues, many more than that for the late rounds at the largest venue. Most places here do attendance by a percentage of capacity to limit crowd size. Indiana isn't off the rails like Florida or Texas easing of restrictions to my knowledge, so I'd think they'd have a 10-25% attendance allowed.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

The first thing I do every year is pick where Duke will lose. Bummer I won't get to do so this year
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Fastbackss wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:46 pm The first thing I do every year is pick where Duke will lose. Bummer I won't get to do so this year
The first think I do is pick who they will beat in the final--pretty gutted about this season in general. That said, I will joylessly fill out a bracket. 8-)

Post by JazzNU »

JTContinental wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:00 pm The first think I do is pick who they will beat in the final--pretty gutted about this season in general. That said, I will joylessly fill out a bracket. 8-)
JT, you're a Duke fan? I like you a little less than I thought I did now. 😏

Post by JazzNU »

There is absolutely talk of Duke faking this positive covid test. Can't lose something or be eliminated if you can't play.

Post by JTContinental »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:22 pm
JTContinental wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:00 pm The first think I do is pick who they will beat in the final--pretty gutted about this season in general. That said, I will joylessly fill out a bracket. 8-)
JT, you're a Duke fan? I like you a little less than I thought I did now. 😏
Huge Duke fan since the 90's--like Novak fans, I'm used to the slings and arrows :mrgreen:

I'd give it a zero percent chance the covid test is faked given the momentum they were having in the ACC tournament.

Post by JTContinental »

Virginia also out of the ACC tournament with a positive covid result. They haven't pulled the plug on their season yet, though, but must have 7 days of negative tests prior to the start of the tournament.

Post by JTContinental »

Yikes, now Kansas out of the Big 12 semis after a positive test

Post by JazzNU »

It's almost as if, now hear me out...the pandemic is still ongoing.

And on the real. Kansas must be quietly thrilled. They want to not be required to answer press questions for a week, and they likely have a 5 or 6 day break from it during a time when their house is on fire.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Did I get excited about this tournament for nothing? :D

Post by JazzNU »

No, I don't think so. There were bound to be some positives as there have been all season. But the conference tournaments are mostly taking place without too many issues this week. Things will consolidate to Indiana in the next week. I'm sure we'll get some more positives at that time. I'm not sure how it will be working once they get there. But they are treating it very much like it's a pro sport, and ignoring the elephant in the room, so it will likely result in not as many surprises once they get to their bubble setups in Indy and Indiana.

And honestly, this is callous, but covid has ripped through college basketball teams since practice began in the fall, including several of the best teams in college basketball this season. I'd think by now certain teams are very unlikely to get eliminated because there have got to be so many antibodies flowing through those teams, a positive test is fairly unlikely.