College Basketball Thread

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Curling, Marbula 1 and any other activity that we can think of!
JazzNU United States of America

Re: March Madness 2021

Post by JazzNU »

ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Well that was supposed to be the interesting game.
:steven:

Post by JazzNU »

I don't know who came up with the bright idea of having Miley Cyrus perform like 10 covers in between the Final Four games, but whoever they are, I'm very okay with them being fired. There must be consequences for mistakes this severe.

Post by JazzNU »

Really not happy with officiating down the stretch. Didn't call the foul on the hand against Gonzaga when he was driving to the basket AND Suggs was out of bounds and then the first to touch the ball, but did call a charge on UCLA which didn't give allow them an extra shot at the end. Really think this likely was a UCLA win in regulation and they helped Gonzaga into overtime.

I know they've been hyping Gonzaga all year. They get way too excited anytime they have anything remotely close to a good team. But still annoying when they give an assist like this. Just as it was annoying when the UConn women got an assist they didn't need at the end of their game the other day.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

JazzNU wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:28 am Really not happy with officiating down the stretch. Didn't call the foul on the hand against Gonzaga when he was driving to the basket AND Suggs was out of bounds and then the first to touch the ball, but did call a charge on UCLA which didn't give allow them an extra shot at the end. Really think this likely was a UCLA win in regulation and they helped Gonzaga into overtime.

I know they've been hyping Gonzaga all year. They get way too excited anytime they have anything remotely close to a good team. But still annoying when they give an assist like this. Just as it was annoying when the UConn women got an assist they didn't need at the end of their game the other day.
As a University of Washington graduate, I approve of this message.

A program as successful as Gonzaga should not be playing in a mid-major conference.

Post by JazzNU »

JTContinental wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:46 am
As a University of Washington graduate, I approve of this message.

A program as successful as Gonzaga should not be playing in a mid-major conference.
Yes, though I've rarely heard it mentioned as part of their success, I did hear one of the TV commentators talk recently about their ease during the regular season schedule in their conference makes it so their bodies don't break down the same way as many other top programs because they just aren't playing that kind of competition game after game and it greatly aids them to have that setup. I hadn't thought about it in quite those terms, but it's a good point. Also, I don't think all mid-major conferences are created equal. The West Coast Conference is really on the lower end of the mid-majors in terms of competitiveness.
Togtdyalttai United States of America

Post by Togtdyalttai »

I think being in a mid-major conference has probably hurt Gonzaga in the past because they weren't tested before having to play the best teams. This year their nonconference schedule was one of the strongest ones, and the WCC was a bit better. According to this article, which I believe is taking the average of the KenPom efficiency ratings of each team in the conference, the WCC is the 8th best conference, either the best or second best mid-major one depending on whether you count the American as a mid-major conference or not.

But as someone who grew up in Eastern Washington, rooting for Gonzaga, I have the opposite bias of JTC.

Post by JazzNU »

When BYU is your next best basketball team, I have strong objections to calling that a strong mid-major. And I'm also not talking about just this year, that's been a very weak conference that Gonzaga runs through just about every single year unimpeded for a long while.
Togtdyalttai United States of America

Post by Togtdyalttai »

JazzNU wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:31 pm When BYU is your next best basketball team, I have strong objections to calling that a strong mid-major. And I'm also not talking about just this year, that's been a very weak conference that Gonzaga runs through just about every single year unimpeded for a long while.
For this year, there were 11 conferences that had multiple bids in the NCAA tournament: the eight that have been mentioned plus the Mountain West, Missouri Valley, and Atlantic 10. The second best teams from those conferences were Utah State, Drake, and VCU, respectively. I think BYU was better than all three of those (and better than Wichita State of the American too).

Ordinarily, Saint Mary's is a good team which is at least in contention for at-large bids. BYU has been good the last few years as well. If the NCAA tournament had been held last year, all three of BYU, Saint Mary's, and Gonzaga would have been in. Is the WCC on the level of the top 7 conferences? Well no, but I'm not saying it is. Beyond that, what more could you want from a decent mid-major conference? If you want to say that Gonzaga should be in one of the top conferences (specifically the Pac 12) based on how good they are, sure, they should be. But outside of that, the WCC is about as good as it could get for them.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

UCLA is my favourite team and it looked like a charge to me at the end of regulation... but I don’t watch as much basketball as some here. Missed the other thing that was mentioned though.

As disappointing as watching my team lose, has been great for getting youngest into it. I saved the end of game and overtime for her to watch ... she has Gonzaga to win the tournament. If they win tomorrow she wins the in house pool... if not wife does, so despite Beating my team I’ll be cheering for Gonzaga tomorrow. :) I am going to finish fourth out of six of us.

Post by JazzNU »

I would've been okay with the call of a charge, if they had also called the hand foul and the out of bounds and first to touch turnover against Gonzaga as well. When they are going to make a hard call against one team down the stretch, and not against the other, that's when it looks like an assist.

Rooting for something other than a blowout tonight.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

I've never been one to say "they shouldn't have called it because of another call that was or wasn't made." Regardless of anything else that happened, to me that clearly looked like a charge and think it should have been called one. But I'm generally a referee sympathizer (partly since I regularly umpire field hockey, but I think I always was.)

I'm definitely going for the Zags, mainly because I know how excited our seven year old will be to win (and then wife won't be able to brag to me too :) )
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

A few minutes in and looks like neither of us going to get what we hoped for.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Sees game is starting at 9:20 eastern - "I'm not staying up for this."

9:19 - "okay , I will, what if something happens and I don't see it live. "

11:03 - "this is a blowout, go to bed - no - what if it is an epic comeback?"

Post by JazzNU »

I enjoyed it even though it was a blowout, but I also don't care about Gonzaga, so them losing wasn't bothering me a bit. Baylor doing their thing was fun to watch, I've seen very few of their games this season, the most I watched was the game against Villanova, which I think may have been their most competitive for a long stretch of the game. Happy for them. And happy for all of us that Baylor didn't wear their uniforms of years past and forcing us to see footage of them in those highlighter yellow eyesores for the next 20 years of clips they'll surely play of this game.