Curling! (the sport, not your hair)

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Curling, Marbula 1 and any other activity that we can think of!
Deuce Canada

Re: Curling! (the sport, not your hair)

Post by Deuce »

If I were an elite level curler, I'd make my official address an RV, and rent myself out to the highest bidder from whatever province.
:)
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

I imagine this year many curlers looking for teams will do something not terribly different than that.

So our three Brier finalists from last six years all made the playoffs, including snagging both first place byes. Today's tiebreakers will be (funny enough) 2 Manitoba teams, and 2 Saskatchewan teams.
:steven:
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

After barely squeaking into a tiebreaker in an extra end yesterday, Flasch wins the TB today and then knocks off Jacobs 10-3.

With Bottcher comfortably ahead, looks like will be the 3 previous finalists from last 6 years and Flasch..so I know who to cheer for...not that i really have anything against the other teams (well Bottcher probably deserves some bad karma this year.)
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Just goes to show how good these guys are, and how well they all know the game.
Flasch was a Second for Koe a few years ago.
People often look at front-enders as kind of 'hired muscle' - good sweepers who can throw well, but who simply do what they're told. Many of them are either former or future Skips, though.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Good point, all the skips have been in finals in last few years then. Flasch also has Simmons as his alternate, wonder if his sometimes golden touch is rubbing off on them too.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Nichols tested positive for COVID-19 (because, contrary to the pretty illusion that governments are trying to sell us, COVID-19 is far from finished with us), so Gushue's team was reduced to 3 players vs. Bottcher. Not ideal, obviously.
They hung in there, though, and lost on the last rock.
Have to wonder why Gushue didn't come with a 5th player. In this time of COVID, there is an ever-present threat that anyone could test positive...

Koe, as expected, beat Flasch.

So Flasch plays the 3 person Gushue team this afternoon.
R.I.P. Amal...

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

The (3 man) Gushue - Flasch game was excellent. Very high quality.
Won by Gushue with a perfect 10 foot angle raise on the last shot of the game.
Tough one for Flasch, who made a perfect draw behind the centre guard on his last shot, which was the only thing he could do.

So the Gushue 3 are through to tomorrow afternoon's game vs. the loser of tonight's Koe - Bottcher game.
Got to wonder how far they can go with just 3 players...
R.I.P. Amal...

ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Yes just finished that game and it was a great game from both teams. Having first hammer May have been the big difference.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Unreal to win a Brier title with 3 players - Gushue's 4th win.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Yeah, that is the bigger feat than doing it coming off the Olympics.

With both teams possibly blowing up - interesting to see if either will be able to make it to 5 to set the (skip) record.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Indeed, it was quite an accomplishment to win with a team of only 3 vs some pretty good opposition. 3 times.

I feel really bad for Nichols, though... imagine how he was feeling watching his team win from the loneliness of an isolated hotel room. This was perhaps his last chance at winning a Brier - and to do it right after the disappointment of the Olympics... and to not be able to be on the ice and contribute and then celebrate the win with your team...
Man, that's got to be tough...
R.I.P. Amal...

ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

True, although he does have three on-ice Briers, one Olympic Gold (where we curled maybe the best game I've ever seen anyone curl), and a bronze to console him :)
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ptmcmahon wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:29 am True, although he does have three on-ice Briers, one Olympic Gold (where we curled maybe the best game I've ever seen anyone curl), and a bronze to console him :)
And a trip to Vegas next month. ;)
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

When they announced Dawn MacEwen was retiring, I figured Lisa Weagle would just slip into the lead and not much else would change... but sounds like they are splitting up:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/curling/articl ... f7A0aPKXcs

Apparently Peterman is moving to Alberta (so have to assume that definitely means Gallant or Walker is leaving Gushue then?) I'm guessing the bridges were burnt by Homan and Weagle wouldn't return to that team that has an opening at lead with Courtney taking some time off.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ptmcmahon wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:01 pm When they announced Dawn MacEwen was retiring, I figured Lisa Weagle would just slip into the lead and not much else would change... but sounds like they are splitting up:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/curling/articl ... f7A0aPKXcs

Apparently Peterman is moving to Alberta (so have to assume that definitely means Gallant or Walker is leaving Gushue then?) I'm guessing the bridges were burnt by Homan and Weagle wouldn't return to that team that has an opening at lead with Courtney taking some time off.
Right - I don't see Weagle returning to Homan, either.
Some are saying that Homan might play out of Alberta...

It's difficult to predict where the various dominoes will fall with both the women's and men's teams in the coming months. The players themselves have said that there will be 'a lot of changes' to teams this year...

Best comment from the article you linked to was this one - had me laughing...
"First the Beatles break up and then team Jennifer Jones. When will it end?"
:lol:
R.I.P. Amal...