Curling! (the sport, not your hair)

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Curling, Marbula 1 and any other activity that we can think of!
ptmcmahon Canada

Re: Curling! (the sport, not your hair)

Post by ptmcmahon »

Maybe Bottcher wasn’t the bad guy all along?

Son can’t see if I’m recording so I just pretend it’s good and bad luck. They aren’t serious enough yet that they feel any pressure… still just for fun and if they make a good shot all the better.
:steven:
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Good for your son.
I wish I had started curling as a kid, rather than a few decades later!

I think Bottcher still comes off like a control freak - stories about him not distributing the money winnings fairly, too...

Here's the Moulding kicking the rock thing...

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

As close to a dust up as we’ll get in curling!
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Was thinking “oh Brier starts today, I should see when Bottcher plays Grattan” … and sure enough they’ve already started. Hope I didn’t miss any first end drama !
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ptmcmahon wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:06 am Was thinking “oh Brier starts today, I should see when Bottcher plays Grattan” … and sure enough they’ve already started. Hope I didn’t miss any first end drama !
Yeah - not surprising that they scheduled this one for Saturday night...
I'm recording it to watch after Leylah's match.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Didn't see it, but apparently Dunstone - Koe was a good match between undefeated teams. I said it a couple of years ago, but it sure feels like it's just a question of when Dunstone will win a Brier, not if...perhaps this is the year.

Bottcher still rolling undefeated as well.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ptmcmahon wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:36 pm Didn't see it, but apparently Dunstone - Koe was a good match between undefeated teams. I said it a couple of years ago, but it sure feels like it's just a question of when Dunstone will win a Brier, not if...perhaps this is the year.

Bottcher still rolling undefeated as well.
Yes - the Dunstone - Koe game was high quality curling throughout. Both Koe and Dunstone made perfect long angle raises in successive ends. In between those two shots, there was the Koe quadruple take-out - an incredible shot that I hope you've seen in the highlights.

Yes - the Bottcher team haven't seem to have suffered at all from losing Moulding - or from the fallout of that (like the booing, for example).
Getting ready to watch Gushue vs. McEwen now...
R.I.P. Amal...

skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Deuce wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:35 am Yes - the Dunstone - Koe game was high quality curling throughout. Both Koe and Dunstone made perfect long angle raises in successive ends. In between those two shots, there was the Koe quadruple take-out - an incredible shot that I hope you've seen in the highlights.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Bottcher - Dunstone playing in a battle of the two undefeated A teams, likely will decide who wins this group (and avoids the 2-3 elimination games, assuming same format as Scotties.) Sure feels like a future Brier final. (Not much of a stretch I know.)
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Bottcher wins in an extra end.

Think he would tie the record for most Brier finals in a row (5) with Ferbey if they make it. Also, interesting stat I heard last other night, last 6 Briers have only had 3 different skips (Koe, Gushue, Bottcher). Of course Koe has had 6 different teammates during that time with him.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ptmcmahon wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:38 pm Bottcher wins in an extra end.

Think he would tie the record for most Brier finals in a row (5) with Ferbey if they make it. Also, interesting stat I heard last other night, last 6 Briers have only had 3 different skips (Koe, Gushue, Bottcher). Of course Koe has had 6 different teammates during that time with him.
And the 3 teammates Kevin Koe has this week won't be with him next year - not even Ben, apparently.
Meanwhile, I don't think his brother has won a game this week.

I suppose the Gushue team is one of the big surprises at this year's Brier. Not because no-one thinks they're good, of course - but simply because everyone expected them to be tired both physically and emotionally/mentally from their Olympic experience.
They're the class of the field so far, though (along with Bottcher, who is now tied 3-3 with Kevin Koe in the 8th).
R.I.P. Amal...

ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

I saw a lot of people expecting that (Vic Rauther has them as his "sleeper" pick????) but not I agree. In most seasons, most of the top teams would be playing 2-3 events a month through the winter with grand slams, Brier, etc. And depending on the jet lag, probably not much reason for them to be physically tired either.

A Bottcher win tonight should clinch first in that group. A Koe win and the top three may all wind up 7-1
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Gushue's team is another one I keep hearing may go through some big changes. Probably not a big surprise, given Geoff Walker is living in Alberta (with wife Laura of course) and Brett Gallant is engaged to Jocelyn Peterman who lives in Manitoba - guessing Gallant probably only pretend lives in NL right now.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ptmcmahon wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:52 pm Gushue's team is another one I keep hearing may go through some big changes. Probably not a big surprise, given Geoff Walker is living in Alberta (with wife Laura of course) and Brett Gallant is engaged to Jocelyn Peterman who lives in Manitoba - guessing Gallant probably only pretend lives in NL right now.
The residency stuff has gotten way out of hand and far too complicated with all of the bending of the rules (both by players and by Curling Canada).
Pretty soon, Edin, Muirhead, etc. will be able to pretend they live in Canada and represent Canada at the Olympics...
R.I.P. Amal...

ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

I don't know if they'd want to though :) I couldn't find any real info about where Gallant really lives now hence me guessing he's only pretending to live in NL still.