Curling! (the sport, not your hair)

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Curling, Marbula 1 and any other activity that we can think of!
ptmcmahon Canada

Re: Curling! (the sport, not your hair)

Post by ptmcmahon »

Was doing the same and also watching NCAA tournament. AS a result, just finished the bronze medal match today - knew which sport I'd be least likely to hear about :)
:steven:
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ptmcmahon wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:19 pm Was doing the same and also watching NCAA tournament. AS a result, just finished the bronze medal match today - knew which sport I'd be least likely to hear about :)
:lol:
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

And just on the weekend did I ... try to watch the gold medal match. I started recording, had a bunch of minutes of "not available in your region" ??? and then it picked up the match... in the tenth end. Got to see the end at least I guess.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

And now it's time for the men's Worlds...

Canada at this point is 4-0... but it's been a struggle. I watched the 2 games yesterday, and they could have lost both those games were it not for gifts from the other team. Apparently they weren't very convincing in their first 2 games, either.

The ice is said to be quite difficult - and I know from experience that when the ice is not good or relatively consistent, it's like you have to re-learn the game...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

The breaking up/staying together news is still flowing.

Also breaking up:

- McEwen
- Gunmlaugson ( Wozniak + Casey taking time off for family)
- Carey (shocker!)
- Epping

Lisa Weagle is also apparently focusing on mixed doubles - wonder if that goes for Epping as well

Sticking together:

- Einarson
- McCarville
- Howard
- Rocque
- Birt
- Duncan
- Galusha ("one more year")

Some of the sticking together announcements were amusing:

McCarville: "Our team has had 6 incredible yrs together. We’ve shared highs and lows, tears of sorrow and tears of joy. After much consideration we made the difficult decision that we needed a change. Unfortunately, with so many teams staying together, there were no free agents to pick up"

Howard:

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Canada are looking good going into the playoff weekend at the Men's World's. They finished the week in 1st place.
Both the ice and the rocks have been difficult in Vegas... Apparently, Canada had to throw out the book they had on the rocks going in because all the rocks were re-labelled/re-numbered!

Canada has adapted to the difficult conditions best, it seems, and are essentially the favourites to win it at this point. But Edin and Sweden are always a very legitimate threat, of course. The other teams, by my account, are at least a level below these two.
R.I.P. Amal...

ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Gushue-Edin final tomorrow..no big surprise there.

Couple new lineups announced too...

- Carey will be skipping team with Jolene Campbell, Rachel Erickson, and Liz Fyfe (from Fleury's team)
- Carruthers will skip the team with Gunnlaugson at third, Derek Samagalski at second and Connor Njegovan at lead
- Scheidegger (and her sister) will be playing with Kate Cameron and Taylor McDonald (from Walker's team)

Mike McEwen hasn't announced his team yet, but hints are he'll be with Ryan Fry.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Yes... Edin - Gushue - as it should be.

I've read that McEwen might team up with Epping and they'd play out of either Manitoba or Ontario.
That might bring up a situation similar to what he and Carruthers had, though, with the two of them trying to figure out who the leader of the team is. Mike and Reid took more than 2 years to figure it out - and even after they settled on McEwen, they still rarely played up to their potential, because, though Mike was skipping and the team was in his name, he was never the outright leader.
Mike and Reid are good friends, and I think both were afraid to take on the absolute leader role, for fear of offending the other.
It was a very interesting team dynamic - one that unfortunately never really worked.
R.I.P. Amal...

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Congratulations to Team Sweden.
It's quite unfortunate that the championship game was marred by terrible ice. The players definitely deserved better from the WCF.

Drawing from my own curling experience, bad ice completely zaps the enjoyment out of the game - because all of your natural instincts are eliminated. You have to forget almost everything you've learned over 'X' number of years of curling, and re-learn from scratch in a very short time.

Credit to Sweden, who figured out the terrible ice a bit better than Canada did today.
R.I.P. Amal...

ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

I only watched tonight and unfortunate was the same word I thought for how the final played out.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Bottcher announced new team and it's ... very different.

Bottcher/Kennedy/Gallant/Hebert.

Lots of experience and everyone is in their usual role, and Koe and Hebert have played together so seems like could work out well. Depends on how well Bottcher plays with others I guess.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ptmcmahon wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:57 am Bottcher announced new team and it's ... very different.

Bottcher/Kennedy/Gallant/Hebert.

Lots of experience and everyone is in their usual role, and Koe and Hebert have played together so seems like could work out well. Depends on how well Bottcher plays with others I guess.
Yes... that's kind of old news. I heard about it a few weeks ago, and I think it was confirmed shortly after.
This was my comment then, and I still feel this way - it won't work...
Deuce wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:51 am I've seen reports of:
Bottcher team breaking up - bringing in Kennedy at Third, Gallant at Second, Hebert at Lead. That team won't work. Hebert won't be able to deal with Bottcher, and vice versa. Gallant and Bottcher will clash, as well.
Gallant likes to have a certain degree of control. Gushue could manage that - though it frustrated him at times, he knew when to put Gallant in his place, and Gallant accepted that. I think he'll be much less likely to accept it from Bottcher, who is closer to his age.

And Benny and Bottcher on the same team is asking for trouble. I cannot see how these two will possibly tolerate each other. Ben worked with Koe because Koe is - again - older than Bottcher, and commanded a certain degree of respect. If Bottcher thinks he will get the same respect from Ben - or from Gallant - he's in for a rude awakening.

Ben and Bottcher are polar opposites. Ben is full of emotion on the ice, often banging brooms and swearing, etc. Bottcher loves his 'squeaky clean' image as someone who is never flustered and always appears calm, without so much as a hair out of place. These two will clash big time.

Personally, I see Bottcher as a phony - desperately trying to give himself the 'perfect' image and reputation, but it's all a grand illusion.
Last edited by Deuce on Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R.I.P. Amal...

ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

True, I guess this was just the official confirmation of the news and I'd missed it as a rumor before.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Provincials for Brier and Scotties well under way. Unfortunately doesn't look like any of it will be televised...hoping to find a stream or two (one person at curling today has a daughter at the NS playdowns and said a lot of the teams there have personal streams?)

The big match today ... well interest wise ... Jennifer Jones vs Kaitlyn Lawes in Manitoba. Both are 6-0 so winner probably goes to the Manitoba final. Of course both are in the top 3 of the rankings so both will get into the Scotties anyways with 3 wild cards. But I'm sure both will be eager to win this one.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

And Glenn Howard is about to make the Ontario final undefeated so far… including beating Epping and McEwen. He just keeps going.