Curling! (the sport, not your hair)

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Curling, Marbula 1 and any other activity that we can think of!
Deuce Canada

Re: Curling! (the sport, not your hair)

Post by Deuce »

I think they've been using that approach for several years in Great Britain - rather than selecting established teams, they select what they feel are the best individuals, and put them together.
It's a gamble, of course - if the chemistry works, it works out well enough; if the chemistry is bad - or if there is no chemistry - it doesn't work out well.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

The last two Olympic trial spots (for Canada) to be decided this weekend. It’s less than two hours from me in Halifax so if I had about four less kids would totally be going to it. Glad to see TSN will be covering most of the weekend.
:steven:
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Yes, it's nice to see live curling back on TV - on both TSN and Sportsnet.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

I’m definitely a bit biased, but the Canadian Olympic Trials (final at least not necessarily this week) has to be close to the strongest field in curling… top to bottom maybe even more so than the Olympics. Although recent results on the world stage is making that claim look a little more dubious.

Tonight’s game on tv was very nervy. Score five in second end to lead 5–1… and then be down by the break. Ouch.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

The Brier and Scotties fields are usually pretty good, as well - and many claim are stronger than the fields at the World Championships. But there is the restriction of just one team per province there (though the recent addition of the WildCard team has changed that to a small degree).

Of course, the balance has been changing gradually over the past 15 years or so as many countries are improving significantly. I don't think Canada is becoming weaker overall - although it can appear that way. I think it's more that other countries are improving a lot, and rather quickly.
R.I.P. Amal...

ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Yes that’s definitely a better description of it. Some countries that decades ago would have had no chance do have 1-2 quite good teams now. Not just 3-4 countries with a chance at worlds/Olympics like before.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Maybe Canada's 3 Territories will be the next to improve significantly - with various coaches going up there now to help.
I hope so, as that would make the Brier and Scotties even more competitive and interesting than it is now.
R.I.P. Amal...

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Jacqueline Harrison's team beat Rachel Homan's team today, in what can only be described as being a major upset.
I used to really like Homan - and I used to defend her against those who claimed that she was arrogant, egotistical, etc. - until she pulled that very cheap unsportsmanlike stunt at the Olympics a few years ago. Since then, I want to see her lose every time I see her play. So I'm quite happy that she lost to a relative unknown today.

Glenn Howard also lost today (in the pre-trials). You've got to wonder how long he'll keep going before he transfers the team over to his son.
R.I.P. Amal...

ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

I've definitely soured on Homan as well. Cutting Lisa Weagle seemed especially cold.

Glenn Howard didn't lose today though, he lost a couple of weeks ago though right? Every year I'm surprised to see he's still going....assume he's just waiting until he assume Scott is ready. With this the end of an Olympic period, this may be the year. I know they had a nice run at the Briar last time, but wouldn't mind another one this year. Easy team to cheer for.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ptmcmahon wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:52 am I've definitely soured on Homan as well. Cutting Lisa Weagle seemed especially cold.
^ Indeed. Five years ago, I would have been shocked if Homan did something like that to a longtime team member. But when she did it to Weagle, I wasn't surprised at all, after seeing what she did at the Olympics. 'Cold' is a good word for her.
(Rachel looks exactly like her mom, by the way. I saw both of them in person at an event 2 years ago, and the resemblance was amazing.)
ptmcmahon wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:52 am Glenn Howard didn't lose today though, he lost a couple of weeks ago though right? Every year I'm surprised to see he's still going....assume he's just waiting until he assume Scott is ready. With this the end of an Olympic period, this may be the year. I know they had a nice run at the Briar last time, but wouldn't mind another one this year. Easy team to cheer for.
^ You're right - Glenn lost a few weeks ago to Horgan. But that game was on TV today, so I assumed that they were doing a few pre-trial games before the actual trial games began today.
I've never been good at following anything but relatively simple playdown formats. :)

Glenn is turning 60 next summer - he's by far the oldest player in Canada that I can think of at this level of curling - and maybe the oldest at this level in the world.
He's the 5th for John Epping at these trials, apparently. I guess that basically means that he'll be the coach, barring any injuries.
R.I.P. Amal...

ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

As long as he doesn’t take anyone out on snowmobiles …

Homan now 0-2 and already in a big hole.

All former Olympic teams at 2-0 so far on both sides… Jones, Jacobs, and Gushue. Surprised to see Bottcher at 0-2 … but it is a strong field.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Thanks for these updates. I always end up watching the reruns later in the week.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Jacqueline Harrison's team has become a 'giant killer' - first they knock off Homan, and now Einarson. Good for them - it's always good to have new teams join the elite level. I hope they stay around for a while.

Unfortunately, Laura Walker, who I like, just lost to Jennifer Jones when her draw for the win on her last rock in the extra end was swept too much. Jones is now 3-0.
R.I.P. Amal...

ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

I feel about Jennifer Jones the same way I always did in Federer’s heydays. Nothing personal against them but they just have won so much and keep beating other people I want to see win :)
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Absolutely wild game tonight for Jones vs. Einarson... Einarson up 6-0 after 3 ends, and all 6 points were stolen - 2 in each end!
Then Jones was somehow ahead 9-8 after 9.
Final score: Einarson 10, Jones 9. Crazy.

Ahead by a lot early in the game, it takes a high level of discipline to remain focused and concentrated. And the Einarson team certainly proved tonight that they didn't have that discipline.
Sadly, Jacqueline Harrison has come back down to Earth...

Great game between Gushue and Jacobs today, as well.

Meanwhile, my friends the Czech women's team are not doing well in the European Championships in Norway. They are without their skip, Anna Kubeskova, who is sick at home (not COVID-19), and they've struggled without their captain.
They'll have to turn it around quickly if they want to play in the World Championships in March, I think.
R.I.P. Amal...