Curling! (the sport, not your hair)

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Curling, Marbula 1 and any other activity that we can think of!
ptmcmahon Canada

Re: Curling! (the sport, not your hair)

Post by ptmcmahon »

Not where I was picturing her winding up....

https://www.tsn.ca/jennifer-jones-to-sk ... -1.1772252

Might be a nice fit - geographically at least it makes sense - as long as it doesn't mess up the team's existing team chemistry. They barely missed playoffs at Scotties this year despite being ... maybe the youngest? ... team in the field.

Now, where does Lawes wind up?

As for more breakups:

https://www.tsn.ca/brad-jacobs-tracy-fl ... -1.1771870

Koe was expected, although surprised to here Morris retiring (and guessing we may see him again later anyway.) Jacobs is a big surprise (sounds like mainly because he is taking a year off.) Fleury is the biggest surprise for me, considering the success they've had last couple years - except for closing it out when it counts of course.
:steven:
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Honestly, I don't see the Zacharias kids tolerating Jones for more than one season. Her being with them for 4 years will paralyze their growth more than help it. Even if Jones throws Lead rocks and skips, I still see it as a negative circumstance.
Take one year and learn from her - ok. Then it'll be time for them to learn to make their own decisions.

It'll be interesting to see what Lawes does. People have been saying for 5 or 6 years that she'll go and skip her own team. Maybe now she finally will.

I knew Morris was 'retiring'. He does that every few years :) .
I'm surprised by Jacobs taking (at least) a year off - but then, we have no idea what's going on in the off ice lives of these people. I say that he and the Harnden brothers will get back together at some point in the next few years.
Perhaps I should let them know that I'm available for next season... :D

The Fleury team may seem like a surprise on the surface... but remember what happened at the Scotties... They were on a roll and playing really well without Fleury. They settled into a good team dynamic, and things were 'clicking' really well. When Fleury returned to the team, they deflated.
I'm not suggesting that Fleury is bad for the team, of course... but I think that experience may just have given the rest of the team the confidence to go out on their own. I wouldn't be surprised if 3 of them stick together - maybe even all 4 who were playing without Fleury at the Scotties.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Quite the 180 considering they were one missed shot away from making Olympics. Fleury is the out of province import and the other three played together before she was around … so perhaps this shouldn’t be quite as much of a surprise.

Maybe Lawes could join them? :)

Four years does seem long for experimenting adding Jones to team. A better model may have been when Gushue added Russ Howard for the Olympics (only) and he threw second stones.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I've seen reports of:
Bottcher team breaking up - bringing in Kennedy at Third, Gallant at Second, Hebert at Lead. That team won't work. Hebert won't be able to deal with Bottcher, and vice versa. Gallant and Bottcher will clash, as well.

Koe, Tardi, Theissen, and Martin... Tardi is not developed enough yet. He'll learn from the experience, but it will cost the team wins.

Miskew and Weagle getting back together on a team that Miskew will skip. This sounds strage given that Miskew was reportedly in on the 'firing' of Weagle.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Interesting. Herbert has always seemed a team player type so I’d guess he may be fine. Koe often seems controlling in the same way Bottcher can be, on the ice at least. Hard to tell with Gallant.

Will be fun seeing a team with Koe and a Martin :)

I also would be surprised with a Weagle / Miskew team. I assumed Homan and Miskew were tight. Maybe that bridge wasn’t fully burned after all.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

This is interesting from Gushue...

https://www.tsn.ca/olympic-medallist-an ... IlD2Im42Ew

R.I.P. Amal...

ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Next new team:

Dunstone - Neufeld - Lott - Ryan Harden - "Manitoba" apparently even though they represented four different provinces this year :) Will be weird to see Brush Brothers not together.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I finally stumbled on live curling. It was Korea vs Norway in the women's championships. I recorded the rounds played yesterday and hope to watch some today.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:36 pm I finally stumbled on live curling. It was Korea vs Norway in the women's championships. I recorded the rounds played yesterday and hope to watch some today.
Scotland had to drop out of the Women's Worlds due to the players testing positive for COVID-19. At first, it was 2 of their players, and they played a game or 2 with 3 players... then positives came back for 2 more on the team, and so they simply could not continue.
Eve Muirhead was not playing in the Worlds - which, of course, makes no sense at all, unless it was her choice to not play.

Canada (Einarson) has not looked particularly good - losing to Norway and then to the Swiss (losing badly, stopping after 6 ends).
Russia has been prevented from participating, and have been replaced by my friends from the Czech Republic, who had to scramble at the last minute to get to the Worlds, and who did so without their skip, who is unable to play.
R.I.P. Amal...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Thanks for the background Deuce!
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:39 pm Thanks for the background Deuce!
No problem.
If you have any curling related questions, feel free to ask them here, and one of us will give you the answer if we know it...
R.I.P. Amal...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

They focused on the US women. They easily beat the Czech team 9-2.

They joined Korea vs Norway with Korea up 4-3.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Deuce wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:24 pm Scotland had to drop out of the Women's Worlds due to the players testing positive for COVID-19. At first, it was 2 of their players, and they played a game or 2 with 3 players... then positives came back for 2 more on the team, and so they simply could not continue.
Eve Muirhead was not playing in the Worlds - which, of course, makes no sense at all, unless it was her choice to not play.
Scotland's entry is the winner of the Scottish Championships, which like the Scotties, were held last month and so Muirhead couldn't participate.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The olympic Network shows a mix of live and recorded Curling. The Korea vs Norway was the one I watched live the day before. I'm watching a replay of Japan vs the US now.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

skatingfan wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:34 am
Deuce wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:24 pm Scotland had to drop out of the Women's Worlds due to the players testing positive for COVID-19. At first, it was 2 of their players, and they played a game or 2 with 3 players... then positives came back for 2 more on the team, and so they simply could not continue.
Scotland's entry is the winner of the Scottish Championships, which like the Scotties, were held last month and so Muirhead couldn't participate.
Regardless of why, it's still ridiculous that the skip/team who won last year's European championships and who is also the current Olympic champion is not the Scottish representative at the World Championships.
That's not to say that she'd be immune to contracting COVID-19, of course - but she is acknowledged everywhere as the best that Scotland has - and so she should be at the World Championships.
R.I.P. Amal...