Curling! (the sport, not your hair)

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Curling, Marbula 1 and any other activity that we can think of!
ptmcmahon Canada

Re: Curling! (the sport, not your hair)

Post by ptmcmahon »

Lawes will be skipping team next year with Njegovan, Peterman (assume she count as the "import"), and MacCuish. Should make for some interesting provincial finals with Team Zacharias in the next few years...oops I mean "Team Jones"

I had missed news that Laura Walker's team is also breaking up too.
:steven:
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ptmcmahon wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:55 pm Lawes will be skipping team next year with Njegovan, Peterman (assume she count as the "import"), and MacCuish. Should make for some interesting provincial finals with Team Zacharias in the next few years...oops I mean "Team Jones"

I had missed news that Laura Walker's team is also breaking up too.
I'm not convinced that Lawes's team will have a significant impact. It'll be her first season skipping at this level... A lot of people still see her as 'the kid' who Jones picked to replace Overton - because, though that was some 8 years ago, she still looks like a 16 year old kid...
It'll all depend on the chemistry and dynamic the team has while playing at this level against good teams - and that will only be seen once they begin playing together.

Laura Walker is not a natural skip. She doesn't have the vision or the command/confidence to be the general out there. Her natural position is Third, where I think she would be one of the best (again if the team chemistry wherever she ends up is right).
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Yeah, in the commercials with Lawes for Rocks and Rings, she still looks barely older than some of the kids in the commercial!

I always remember has an ex-skip, so sometime have to remind myself that she only skipped at Junior Level. But I always assumed someday she would have her own team again.

Wonder who's still a free agent and we can combine with Laura Walker. I wonder what Chelsea Carey's plans are now, and if maybe they could team up since they are both Alberta.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

No... Chelsea only comes in in relief in emergency situations now. :D

As for Laura...
https://twitter.com/walkermuyres/status ... 2649523204

One has to think that this is a result of her not being able to find a team that she's comfortable fitting into.
I'll miss seeing her play, as she always seemed like a genuinely nice person (I can't watch mixed doubles, as I find that it's basically just curling for the short attention span generation).
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Deuce wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:51 am
Miskew and Weagle getting back together on a team that Miskew will skip. This sounds strage given that Miskew was reportedly in on the 'firing' of Weagle.
According to Team Homan page, they're announcing their lead tomorrow (and Homan looks like she's still skip.)
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ptmcmahon wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:16 pm
Deuce wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:51 am
Miskew and Weagle getting back together on a team that Miskew will skip. This sounds strage given that Miskew was reportedly in on the 'firing' of Weagle.
According to Team Homan page, they're announcing their lead tomorrow (and Homan looks like she's still skip.)
Yeah - I saw a few days ago that the team is staying together. The Miskew/Weagle thing was something I read somewhere. The other combinations I read in the same place were accurate, but not this one.

It's always best to let the teams themselves confirm what changes they are and are not making. It's fine for us to speculate on various forums, etc. - but when known people have a popular platform and start spilling rumours, etc., that's not right. Respecting the teams and letting them announce their own plans is more important than getting the 'scoop'.
R.I.P. Amal...

ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

And the new member (likely playing third ) … is Fleury. Wasn’t expecting that.

I haven’t flipped it on yet , but sounds like CAnada still has chance for second bye to semis at womens worlds. Last nights loss stung, up one after nine with hammer and giving up back to back steals to lose in an extra.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ptmcmahon wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:23 am And the new member (likely playing third ) … is Fleury. Wasn’t expecting that.

I haven’t flipped it on yet , but sounds like CAnada still has chance for second bye to semis at womens worlds. Last nights loss stung, up one after nine with hammer and giving up back to back steals to lose in an extra.
Yeah, they certainly finished poorly in that Korea game. Einarson said she didn't sleep very well after that.

Fleury with Homan is indeed a strange one. I can't imagine her displacing Miskew at Third - Miskew and Homan have played together since they were in kindergarten or something... and the chemistry between Skip and Third is very important. So Miskew has the big advantage there over Fleury.
They might do something like Miskew throwing second stones and being the Vice Skip in the house when Homan throws... though I doubt they'd even do that.
I see Fleury simply playing Second.
R.I.P. Amal...

ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

They’ve already said in the announcement that Wilkes and Miskew will be the front end. Sounds like only thing to be decided is who is throwing fourth. Pretty sure Homan is skipping either way. It’ll be a team of two skips and two thirds… but hey an all skip team has worked out well, so who knows.

The funniest note was from Wayne Middaugh who replied to their tweets, “announcement news” etc (you would’ve loved how much they tried to hype this announcement up,) Middaugh replied saying he had been asked but wouldn’t be joining them as lead, but was considering an offer from Al Hackner :)
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ptmcmahon wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:30 pm They’ve already said in the announcement that Wilkes and Miskew will be the front end. Sounds like only thing to be decided is who is throwing fourth. Pretty sure Homan is skipping either way. It’ll be a team of two skips and two thirds… but hey an all skip team has worked out well, so who knows.

The funniest note was from Wayne Middaugh who replied to their tweets, “announcement news” etc (you would’ve loved how much they tried to hype this announcement up,) Middaugh replied saying he had been asked but wouldn’t be joining them as lead, but was considering an offer from Al Hackner :)
Many people are very surprised by this news about the Homan team - especially that Miskew will move down to play second. On the face of it, it makes little sense... replacing a third who has a long history of being the Vice Skip for this skip, and replacing her with someone who has never played with the Skip (has she?).
But, obviously the team has 'inside information' that we don't have :) .
I still find it to be a big gamble, though - and I still wouldn't be surprised if Miskew remains Vice Skip while throwing second stones.
Also, if ever whatever arrangement they make doesn't work out, they can always revert to Miskew playing Third/Vice.

So... it looks like we'll have a situation where Fleury, who is from Ontario, will be an import on the Homan team, which plays out of Ontario!

Middaugh's reaction is something I'd have expected more from a guy like Guy Hemmings... :D
Last edited by Deuce on Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
R.I.P. Amal...

ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Due to circumstances beyond my control I haven't finished watching the women's curling championships. UGH
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:16 am Due to circumstances beyond my control I haven't finished watching the women's curling championships. UGH
That's perfectly fine... given that they're not finished yet!
Korea vs. Canada and Sweden vs. Swiss in the Semis being played right now.

If you can't move to Canada before it's over, or can't get it on TV or find a stream somewhere, you can try this - I think it's free...

https://the.recast.app/user/5pYk0?referrer=5pYk0

This is an amazing shot by Hasselborg in the 10th to take the win from the U.S. this afternoon. This is the definition of 'papering' the guard! The U.S. team were stunned, as it looked like they were going to steal 1 for the win.

R.I.P. Amal...

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I am watching it.
I am having a great time.
I have no idea how you play the bloody thing.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Just shuffleboard on ice with sweepers :)

I fell asleep before the semis started last night (11 pm local here) and missed them. Then when I set games to record today of course the guide had updated to say who was in in match. Doh :)
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ptmcmahon wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:28 pm Just shuffleboard on ice with sweepers :)

I fell asleep before the semis started last night (11 pm local here) and missed them. Then when I set games to record today of course the guide had updated to say who was in in match. Doh :)
The Canada vs. Korea Semi was basically a replay of the round robin game between the two teams a few days earlier - Canada gave up a couple of late steals to lose it.

In the closing stages of the bronze medal game now... Trying to watch curling and tennis at the same time... and will try to tune into the second half of the Canada - Jamaica soccer game, too, a little later. :!:
R.I.P. Amal...