Supreme Court Watch

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
skatingfan Canada

Re: Supreme Court Watch

Post by skatingfan »

My condolences to all of our American members.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Indeed, but it was very predictable...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And it will not stop there:
Justice Thomas says the Supreme Court should reconsider rulings that protect access to contraception and same-sex marriage as the court overturns Roe v. Wade

Now, this supreme court will remain in place for a very long time. They are young so, for example, ACB will be there for a good 25 more years. And they will come after all these rights, and after all these people, with no way anybody can stop them.
So, unless people in Texas and all the other states that will ban abortion really gang up and vote DEM (and a lot simply won't), this is where the USA stands. And all the liberals and democrats that stay at home for the midterm elections now really have something to do.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

This is where we are now.

ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

All of the folks who, in 2016, said there was no difference between the candidates for President should be very happy.

I'm with Blanche.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

There is a legal podcast I listen to that emphasizes that the right wing radicals on the court do not use settled law as a reference point the way it was done in the past. This is why Thomas is now talking about going after contraception and gay marriage.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Excuse me but, what is "uncertain" about Florida banning abortion?
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

dryrunguy wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:54 pm This is where we are now.

Our company is providing lodging and travel as well (for reproductive health access and also for gender affirmation) and a lot of our clients are working on doing this.

Who would have thought corporate citizenship is here to guard our civil rights? Is this is what SCOTUS planned for when it ruled Corporations are people?
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:08 pm Excuse me but, what is "uncertain" about Florida banning abortion?
https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/20 ... rtion-yet/
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

...yet.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

dmforever wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:44 pm
Your view of gender as being 100% biological is different from how other people view it, which is a combination of biology and psychology. They aren't confused. The just take more than biology into account. Sexuality is based on who you are attracted to. Gender is how you feel about yourself. There are many cultures that have had more than 2 genders for millennia. It's not a new concept at all.

I actually used to think that gender was what was between a person's legs, or in their chromosomes, but I found that talking to people or reading about their experiences changed my mind. And a good example is a transgender person. If that person's sexuality were solely based on biology, why would they want to transition? It's because their gender feels wrong to them. How they feel is a part of their gender identity. It's a part of a cisgendered person's gender identity too. It's just that we don't realize it, because we've never had to examine it.
I'm not going to be as nice as DMForever because it's not that kind of day.

The question around gender, transgender people and the various definitions is at this point a known scientific question with plenty of research available and publicized. Gender dysphoria is on the DSM-5, which is the standard for identifying mental health conditions. While there may be questions on whether it's a biological or mental health condition or where it comes from (and some countries no longer categorize it as a mental health disorder), there is no question that gender affirmation is valid medical need and also that one's gender has nothing to do with one's sexuality. There is frankly no excuse for anyone that is confused by the concept to not research more to understand it, the information is out there and it's scientifically backed.

Every time we make a joke about "67 genders," it empowers people who want to not only joke about but eradicate people they don't like or understand. A joke like that holds up very real and serious discrimination as normal, denying people medical access and economic opportunities and this has put transgender people disproportionally at risk for both being killed by others and for suicide.

<rant over and yes I know I'm a month late>
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

So I need a gun, claim Jesus as my savior, be a caucasian heterosexual cis male, and fly an American flag to be a true American? I marched with 1,000's of people tonight in NYC, most would not be described like those above, but seemed so much more American.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I have no religious or political affiliation. All of my ideas, perspectives, beliefs, values, etc. are entirely my own, and are not merely adopted from some group or other...

I believe that abortion should be allowed in situations like rape, incest, some cases of teenage pregnancy, etc...
But I don’t think that anyone should use abortion as a form of birth control.
There are enough efficient methods of birth control available that refusing to use one, and instead figuring that one can just get an abortion if they become pregnant, is irresponsible and wrong in my view.

In the end, I am pro-education and pro-choice - but the choice should be made before conception whenever possible, not after. That's where the education comes in.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Deuce wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:37 am I have no religious or political affiliation. All of my ideas, perspectives, beliefs, values, etc. are entirely my own, and are not merely adopted from some group or other...

I believe that abortion should be allowed in situations like rape, incest, some cases of teenage pregnancy, etc...
But I don’t think that anyone should use abortion as a form of birth control.
There are enough efficient methods of birth control available that refusing to use one, and instead figuring that one can just get an abortion if they become pregnant, is irresponsible and wrong in my view.

In the end, I am pro-education and pro-choice - but the choice should be made before conception whenever possible, not after. That's where the education comes in.
All the education in the world won't matter when they take contraception away too, which they are now considering. This isn't about saving unborn lives, being educated or responsible, it's about repressing women. (LGBTQ's are on the menu too)