Supreme Court Watch

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
the Moz Canada

Re: Supreme Court Watch

Post by the Moz »

For shame SCOTUS.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

AOC (and I am not a fan of her) is making a very good point. The SCOTUS/GOP are not coming after abortion ONLY. This is just a first step to take away all the federal protections involving LGBT rights, and all the other rights that have been won in recent years and which are deemed "sinful" to the religious zealots in both organizations.
Case in point. A less recent positions by the SCOTUS has granted a county the right to fly a flag with a cross over County Hall. A clear violation of the separation of State/Church, but a clear indication of where these psychos stand.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

But Hillary's emails...
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

dryrunguy wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:18 pm But Hillary's emails...
Lock SCOTUS up.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Elections do matter. Elect people like Trump and even worse things could happen.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

McConnell is after blood, saying that whoever leaked the document, which Roberts has confirmed is valid, should be prosecuted. I think that the last thing the party formerly known as the GOP wanted was an energized, angry group of people who will vote.

After denying Garland even a hearing he and his ilk should just have a seat.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The myopia of these guys, or in reality, the twisted mentality, is off the scale. A reversal of RvW is what it is being talked about, and they are talking about the "terrible thing" of somebody leaking the decision.
Now, if only some other people were as brave and would leak the full Mueller report, and somebody at Deutsch Bank would leak Tiny's tax returns. If only somebody else were that patriotic.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

About the justices talking about Roe V Wade in their confirmation. What a shocker! "GOP nominated Justices willing to lie during confirmations!"
Again, I do consider this to be an assault on women and basic human rights. But, why is this a surprise? I wrote about it early in 2020. I was wrong in believing that some case would challenge R.v.W to be used as a campaign talking point, but I was not wrong on the overall scheme: the GOP will use abortion as a campaign tool. Now, as they prepare for the midterms, they will use it as such. Some people are talking about this energizing the Dems; well, it will also energize the right. ALL religious fanatics in the USA see The Handmaid's Tale not as a dystopian piece of literature, but as the way things should be. A LOT of women in the USA see abortion as a sin. Tiny will now (and he will be right) claim that the justices that overturned R.v.W were his appointees (which is factual), which will galvanize more people around him.
Yes, this is an abomination, but you have to see the roots. And the roots are clear: this stems from the religious underbelly of the USA, and the impossibility by many people to accept the separation of State and Church. In a sense, all the little religious things in USA culture are coming back to haunt you: your president taking his oath of office over a bible, your currency carrying an IN GOD WE TRUST bumper sticker, people on court also swearing over bibles and claiming "so help me god".
For the rest of us, this is a civilian matter. For many people in the USA, this is straight from their religious beliefs.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

And Roe v. Wade is just the beginning. I thought about listing what's next, but the list is far too long. Yes, this is just the beginning.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Please, do help me out with what else is in the cross hairs:
ALL LGBTQ rights (marriage, adoption, non discrimination, etc)
Voting rights
Marihuana?
Certain civil rights?
What other women's rights can be affected?

The thing is that the LGBTQ rights "group" is huge. It encompasses so many issues.
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

If THIS isn't a tipping point, this country is done for.
(the leak of it is the least of my concerns)
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

Owendonovan wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:51 am If THIS isn't a tipping point, this country is done for.
I'm more pessimistic than you are. The current division in this country is unreal. No one tries to see other points of view or considers compromise.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

texasniteowl wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:28 am
Owendonovan wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:51 am If THIS isn't a tipping point, this country is done for.
I'm more pessimistic than you are. The current division in this country is unreal. No one tries to see other points of view or considers compromise.
I've read thoughts similar to yours and I'm curious about exactly what a compromise would look like in some of the issues that were mentioned above. So let's take abortion. Would a compromise be something like a woman can only have an abortion if she is raped? Or only up to say 8 weeks along in her pregnancy? Because it seems to me that fundamentally either you believe in the idea that a woman has the right to control her reproductive choices and her body, or you don't.

Or let's take same sex marriage. What is the compromise? I'm not trying to be argumentative or confrontational. I know that tone is hard to discern in written media, but I just want you to know that I'm genuinely curious. Does compromise mean that only people of a certain age can get married to someone of the same sex? Or only once? Or only if they make a certain amount of money? Again, it seems to me that either you believe in the right to marry whomever you want, or you don't.

So I don't mean to put you on the spot, and if I am, just ignore this message, but I'd be interested in hearing examples of compromise if you want to help me out. Thanks. :)

Kevin