Country Cups (Davis Cup, Fed/BJK Cup)

Davis Cup, BJK Cup, ATP Cup, Olympics and Laver cup, plus maybe a few others
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Country Cups (Davis Cup, Fed/BJK Cup)

Post by ponchi101 »

Well, but you are talking about the winningest US player of all time, in DC :) (I think). By definition, no one compares :D
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Agassi, his own contemporary, was 30-6!
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I posted this here and in the C19 and tennis thread.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Didn't want to say but here is the confirmation of who the player is.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I wish the team the best - but Pedro's a long way from his prime with the Expos and Red Sox...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Doubles seems to matter a lot in this format..a welcome change! On paper, Croatia and France have the best doubles teams? But Davis Cup sometimes brings out heroic performances, some great singles players play doubles for the first time, with an unfamiliar partner, and still win..Nadal used to do that, I remember..maybe Djokovic this time? would be interesting..
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The new format makes it almost impossible for heroic performances. Best of three does not lend itself to matches that are in that category. Plus not having a "home crowd" (only the Spaniards could claim that) makes it less than vociferous crowds.
If they were going to have all ties played in one place, they should have rotated them. The current champs get to host the event. Let's have everybody go there and try to knock them down.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

Don't you think that this topic shall be not a single discussion, but rather a folder on the level with "ATP/WTA tournaments" and "Grand Slams"? This way Laver Cup and such can also be discussed under this roof. And also some historical events (Dusseldorf Team Cup, World Cup of the 70s (matches between USA and Australia).
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Sure. Sounds like a good idea. Let's do something: you tell me how you want to call that Sub-forum, and which topics should go there, and I will do the moving.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

As discussed in the first few posts of this thread, I'd prefer to keep the Fed/BJK Cup and Davis Cup separate in some way from the Laver Cup and ATP Cup.
The latter two are simply gimmick creations of the powers that be for the purpose of making extra money.
The Fed/BJK Cup and Davis Cup have a lot of history behind them.

Although the powers that be have been trying their best in recent years to ruin the Fed/BJK Cup and Davis Cup, there is still an obvious distinction to be made between them and the other two.

I guess having a forum - or folder - for the various 'Country Cups', and then separate topics (threads) for each one would work.
But what would this thread here become? Would it remain for Davis Cup and Fed/BJK Cup? Or would those two events be separated into two different threads (retaining each post in this thread, but just separating them) - which I guess is feasible, but I'm not sure it's necessary to go to the trouble of doing that.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:48 pm Sure. Sounds like a good idea. Let's do something: you tell me how you want to call that Sub-forum, and which topics should go there, and I will do the moving.
The name of this thread - "Country Cups" is fine with me. Let's create a folder (Sub-forum) with such name. Inside this folder you could create separate threads for Davis Cup, Fed/BJK Cup, Laver Cup, ATP Cup, what have you. This way these tournaments will be easier to navigate to in the site structure and they will be separated from each other (for those who consider some of them "more exhibition" than others).

This existing thread could be moved inside this folder and called "original thread" or "old thread".

Otherwise (if you leave everything as is) in the middle of the season this thread is likely to get buried somewhere in other WTA/ATP threads.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Ok. This topic has been moved to a new subforum, which you can see the name.
No posts or attachments should have been lost, as it was just a simple move to a new folder.
Three topics were moved: this one, LAVER CUP and OLYMPICS. I gather that once we start a topic for the January ATP CUP it should be started here.
This topic could be split in two, but that would mean a lot of searching for DAVIS CUP and then BJK cup. I don't want to do that, so it remains for either event.
Hope this works :thumbsup:

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This is why you can't compare eras in tennis.