Explaining how the new forum works

Are you seeing ANY of these issues?

The recent topics list is ON THE SIDE
31%
The recent topics list is ON TOP
15%
The recent topics list shows ALL NEW TOPICS
8%
The recent topics list shows THE NEW UNREAD TOPICS (it shrinks)
15%
I had problems loading my avatar (had to resize)
15%
I had no problems loading my avatar (lucky me)
15%
Other (please write it down)
No votes

Total votes: 13

Deuce Canada

Re: How are we doing?

Post by Deuce »

Ponchi, I notice that going to the 'Talk About Tennis' forum defaults to the ProSilver theme, no matter what theme we've selected in our user control panel (I've tested this). For example, if the ProSilver Dark Edition, or X-Creamy theme is selected, all forums will appear in those colours EXCEPT the Talk About Tennis forum, which appears in ProSilver.

Also, I've selected 'On The Side' for the 'Recent Topics' area, but it displays on the top. It displayed on the side for a couple of days last week, but has been on the top for the past several days, though 'On The Side' is still selected in my user control panel. I've played around with it, but I cannot get it to display on the side at all anymore.
Not a serious matter, obviously - just want to let you know, as you mentioned you were experiencing something similar with the 'Recent Topics' display.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Togtdyalttai United States of America

Post by Togtdyalttai »

Deuce wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:56 pm Ponchi, I notice that going to the 'Talk About Tennis' forum defaults to the ProSilver theme, no matter what theme we've selected in our user control panel (I've tested this). For example, if the ProSilver Dark Edition, or X-Creamy theme is selected, all forums will appear in those colours EXCEPT the Talk About Tennis forum, which appears in ProSilver.

Also, I've selected 'On The Side' for the 'Recent Topics' area, but it displays on the top. It displayed on the side for a couple of days last week, but has been on the top for the past several days, though 'On The Side' is still selected in my user control panel. I've played around with it, but I cannot get it to display on the side at all anymore.
Not a serious matter, obviously - just want to let you know, as you mentioned you were experiencing something similar with the 'Recent Topics' display.
Can you see if it's any different now please?
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Togtdyalttai wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:49 am
Deuce wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:56 pm Ponchi, I notice that going to the 'Talk About Tennis' forum defaults to the ProSilver theme, no matter what theme we've selected in our user control panel (I've tested this). For example, if the ProSilver Dark Edition, or X-Creamy theme is selected, all forums will appear in those colours EXCEPT the Talk About Tennis forum, which appears in ProSilver.

Can you see if it's any different now please?
Yes - the Talk About Tennis forum no longer defaults to ProSilver - it's fine now.
Thanks much, Tog.

('Recent Topics' is still on top, though.)
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Deuce:
Try to update your USER CONTROL PANEL/DISPLAY OPTIONS. Switch to pro-silver or pro-silver se, the set the recent topics to the side.
The other themes may be note set up for that extension. It is not an official one.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Still on the top with ProSilver when set to 'on the side'.
I can set it to 'on the bottom' in any theme, and that works (it's on the bottom). But it won't go to the side no matter what I do.
As I said - it's not an important thing, so don't spend too much time on it.

I see that the posts displayed per page has seemed to increase from 10 to 15. Getting it to be user-set, with the option to go to 30 or 40, would be nice - when you have time. Again, not a hugely important thing to be done immediately.
R.I.P. Amal...

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Hey Deuce.
The number of posts per topic/page cannot be adjusted personally, or at least I have not found the way. I did increase it to 15, as an intermediate value. In some topics the posts are usually small, but in others sometimes we do write very long posts. So I felt that 30 posts per page was a bit too much if we run into a long discussion.
Your issue with the RECENT topics extension are puzzling. Let's see if they go away.
:)
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Oh hey just found this site. I'm on TAT about every day and it took me forever to see the note at the top about TAT2.0
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:04 pm Oh hey just found this site. I'm on TAT about every day and it took me forever to see the note at the top about TAT2.0
Well, I was wondering what took you so long :)
Welcome. Take a look around, as the forum is not exactly like TAT1.0. The posting and customizing is a bit different :yD
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:54 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:04 pm Oh hey just found this site. I'm on TAT about every day and it took me forever to see the note at the top about TAT2.0
Well, I was wondering what took you so long :)
Welcome. Take a look around, as the forum is not exactly like TAT1.0. The posting and customizing is a bit different :yD
I was over on Reddit all by my lonesome! :) Thanks for doing this! Love this.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:57 pm Hey Deuce.
The number of posts per topic/page cannot be adjusted personally, or at least I have not found the way. I did increase it to 15, as an intermediate value. In some topics the posts are usually small, but in others sometimes we do write very long posts. So I felt that 30 posts per page was a bit too much if we run into a long discussion.
I found this (link below), ponchi. Looks like it does exactly what I'm referring to. I trust that you or someone knows how to install it, because I certainly don't.
If you could set the default to 10 or 15, and set the maximum to 50, that would be good, and would allow everyone to set it to their personal preference.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ay options

Oh... and hello, Megan. Nice that you finally found your way over here.
R.I.P. Amal...

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Tog found that extension too and gave me the link. I downloaded it and installed it in my test site (locally in my laptop).
It just caused a crash so bad I could not recover the site, not even after deleting the files from the extension library in my drive.
I then looked for another, and it did the same. It seems those extensions have not been updated for phpBB 3.3.x (what we are using) and, as they are not official, they are only set up for 3.1.3 (what the developer states).
I left a not on the phpBB board for that person to know. Let's see if they update soon enough.
Now, I have to go and reconstruct my fake TAT2.0 :cry:
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

That's unfortunate.
I'm looking around for one that will work...

In looking around, I saw your request (note), and see that the OP of the thread has replied with what seems to be a fix that makes it work in 3.3 - take a look...
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... pic/211551

I also saw this... This one successfully works with 3.3, according to the thread (don't be fooled by the title of the thread - read all 8 posts to see success at the end...
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... pic/213341

Here is that extension...
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2292621
R.I.P. Amal...

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Deuce.
It seems I got it working, but as I had to re-install an entire new forum, it only has this extension now.
Let me re-build the extensions' library, just to see if this one may cause conflicts. I don't want to load this one up, and then find our it clashes with others and crashes the REAL board.
I believe I may give it a try tomorrow, after I am able to make a proper back-up of this board, and make sure that if I really stick the wrong finger on the wrong key, I can recover this one.
KYP
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Ok, great - thanks. Much appreciated.

Let me know if I can help - which, based on my technical knowledge, would basically consist of typing "Come on ponchi, you can do it... you're the best... three cheers for ponchi..." :)
R.I.P. Amal...

Kirkus United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by Kirkus »

Deuce wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:42 am Ok, great - thanks. Much appreciated.

Let me know if I can help - which, based on my technical knowledge, would basically consist of typing "Come on ponchi, you can do it... you're the best... three cheers for ponchi..." :)
:lol:
Thank you, Ponchi.