The psychological characteristics of tennis players - research study

Our main board to talk about our sport
ralucaionescu96 Romania

The psychological characteristics of tennis players - research study

Post by ralucaionescu96 »

Hello everyone!

First the link: https://forms.gle/xRj3f8trjVhxV2VRA

And now, the explanation: We are a small, but enthusiastic team of researchers in sports psychology and we are currently working on a research study which focuses on understanding how several psychological factors influence the performance of tennis players.
If you are one of the many professional tennis players out there, we are kindly inviting you to fill in the questionnaire from above and contribute to a better understanding of the mental side of our sport! Your help would be very much appreciated :) If you are not a professional tennis player, but you know some of them and you would like to help, please share this message within your community.

Contact: raluca.ionescu96@gmail.com or mariastefaniaionel@psychology.ro

The study is conducted by the Exercise&Sport Psychology Circle within the Research In Individual Differences and Legal Psychology Lab - Riddle Lab, Universitatea Babeş-Bolyai, Cluj-Napoca, being coordinated by MA student Raluca Ionescu and supervised by Laura Visu-Petra, PhD, Departamentul de Psihologie, UBB Cluj-Napoca, and Maria Stefania Ionel, PhD, Departamentul de Psihologie, UBB Cluj Napoca.
Best regards, and a wholehearted thank you,
Raluca Ionescu
Deuce Canada

Re: The psychological characteristics of tennis players - research study

Post by Deuce »

I am not a professional player, but I am a psychological character...

The psychological element of tennis (and of life in general) fascinates me. I can rather easily identify the psychological fragilities and weaknesses of others on the tennis court, and advise as to how to overcome them - but when it comes to my own rather pitiful psychological state on the court, I seem powerless to find the remedy.
It's a very delicate balance between over-thinking and not thinking enough...

If you can help me understand how it is possible that, after 40 years of playing this game they call tennis, I am psychologically more defective on the court now than I was 20, 30, 35 years ago, I would be extremely grateful.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Dear all:
I have contacted Raluca. I went into the link and the survey seems legit. However, you know yours-truly is not short on paranoias and I want confirmation from Raluca about the legitimacy of this survey. Raluca is new and I want to make sure this is harmless.
It seems it is and maybe Raluca can provide a lot of us with cyber-straightjackets, because we know we need some. Or a lot.
I will post you.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Does she think that actual professionals are associated with this site? Charlie was kind of a professional tennis player, or at least he talked about playing in a few tournaments, but that's about it. The rest of our just wannabes.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I have explained that to her. That in the imaginary line starting from everybody's grandmother and ending in Roger, Rafa and Novak, we are somewhere in between Stevie Wonder, Cheo Feliciano and Steven Hawkins, when it comes to our tennis abilities.
On the other hand, I can assure that my frustrations and insecurities while I am on a court are world class. NOBODY chokes a match point while serving like I do. NOBODY.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Both Raluca and the survey seem legitimate to me. I've seen her do the same on a couple of other tennis message boards that I happened to be perusing a couple of weeks ago (something I rarely do). So when I saw her name as the newest member here a week or so ago, I knew the survey would soon be showing up here, too.

And that's fine.
I just hope she'll be open to hearing from more than just pro players, because us non-pros have mental problems, too. In fact, from the sounds of it, between ponchi and I, we could probably provide her with every tennis related psychological defect known to humankind - and probably a few from off of the court, too.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Deuce wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:03 am Both Raluca and the survey seem legitimate to me. I've seen her do the same on a couple of other tennis message boards that I happened to be perusing a couple of weeks ago (something I rarely do). So when I saw her name as the newest member here a week or so ago, I knew the survey would soon be showing up here, too.

And that's fine.
I just hope she'll be open to hearing from more than just pro players, because us non-pros have mental problems, too. In fact, from the sounds of it, between ponchi and I, we could probably provide her with every tennis related psychological defect known to humankind - and probably a few from off of the court, too.
Aaaah, that changes everything. If you know this is legit, then all my worries about spam are unfounded. I will wait for her to reply (because the last thing would be that she is trying to SPAM several sites) and then my sole request is for the board to have a copy of her results. They may be very interesting.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

I'm sure she's legit, but I still wouldn't fill it out. I did the first few pages with fake info just to see what's on the survey and it asks for way too much personal data - birthday, income level, education level, occupation, place of residence, specific health issues...no way. And I'm not even paranoid about my data. I also just got through 4 or 5 of 27 pages. Who knows what else it asks for.

The survey is for amateur players, too. There's a spot to indicate your level and amateur/rec is on there, not just professional.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I found her in Tennis Forum too, so I have activated the link. She posted there too so it seems to be harmless.
Having said that, thanks for going over it, Megan. If it is asking all those questions, not for me either. And you know I AM paranoid, so having the Romanian Secret Services tailing me is one paranoia too many.
Let's see if she replies. It might be fun to have her explain some of the results (she will get some from TF).
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Of course, one can fill out the survey using a fictional name, birth date, income, etc., etc.
It's not like it will be verified.
For the sake of accuracy, those who do give fictional information should give information that is somewhat close to the real information, though.
R.I.P. Amal...

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

If we are going that way, we can do:
"Pete Sampras. DOB August 81, Income: I have no idea, skill level: kinda good, accomplishments: best I did at RG was a semi..." ;)
Let's see if Raluca comes back and explains a bit about it. She posted the same subject in TF and then nothing else.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Yes, I, too, saw that she tends to post a link to her survey/study, and nothing else.
She would better serve her purpose if she didn't simply disappear from whichever forum she posts in, but instead became a contributing member - if only temporarily.

I can't help but wonder if Kyrgios has - or will - fill out the survey. If yes, he would skew everything - Raluca would need to throw his results out if she wants to get an accurate view of the psychological state of the tennis playing community - pro or amateur.
R.I.P. Amal...