ATP & WTA rankings

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: ATP & WTA rankings

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:13 pm ...

I think WTA slam winners make the Finals automatically, but not ATP. Or vice versa. But I think the Tennis Podcast said it's the former, that she will get in based on her US Open win.
That is the ATP. That one I am clear. If you are a Slam winner, but ARE NOT in the top 8, you get the spot. The player ranked #8 gets bumped out.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:13 pm I think WTA slam winners make the Finals automatically, but not ATP. Or vice versa. But I think the Tennis Podcast said it's the former, that she will get in based on her US Open win.
I believe it's ATP not WTA and Tennis Podcast is wrong. I'm only 90% sure, though.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:18 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:13 pm I think WTA slam winners make the Finals automatically, but not ATP. Or vice versa. But I think the Tennis Podcast said it's the former, that she will get in based on her US Open win.
I believe it's ATP not WTA and Tennis Podcast is wrong. I'm only 90% sure, though.
I could be misquoting Tennis Podcast. I usually only half-listen. :) I finally caught on to the Tennis Podcast. I tried it a while back and just never latched on. Now I love it.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:18 pm

I think WTA slam winners make the Finals automatically, but not ATP. Or vice versa. But I think the Tennis Podcast said it's the former, that she will get in based on her US Open win.
That is the ATP. That one I am clear. If you are a Slam winner, but ARE NOT in the top 8, you get the spot. The player ranked #8 gets bumped out.
Okay, then I think the WTA doesn't do that, like suliso said. The podcast was saying the tours treat this differently.
Omess Canada

Post by Omess »

WTA gave itself some discretion to use a WC for 8th place until 2018 but they changed that rule now it is the top 8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

WTA slam winners don't make the final unless they qualify normally, and the ATP has one spot for a slam winner that is ranked in the top 20.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:48 pm Fernandez reached 3R at Cincy.
^ No. She had to play qualies, and won her 2 matches there (vs. Begu and Ruse). Then she lost 1st round of main draw to Riske.
I was watching her matches, and she did not look good in her loss to Riske.
She lost 1st round in Montreal, as well, to qualifier Dart, after getting a WildCard into the main draw. The Olympics didn't go well, either.

But her dad took her home after Cincinnati, got her back to playing her more creative game of variety, and then the magic happened in N.Y.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:18 pm

I think there is a condition though that Slam winner shall be inside top 20 to qualify. At least it used to be.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

joshil wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:56 pm Hello everyone, recently i bought a new site https://www.wtafans.com/ and will publish all the female tennis player's related news and personal details. If you guys have any suggestions, please PM me..
Will you publish date of birth or like ITF - hide it and only show an age in years? Are you planning to have players database and results database?
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Here are junior year end rankings top 10 for both boys and girls 2016-2018 with those who have reached pro top 100 bolded.

Girls

Anastasia Potapova (RUS)
Olesya Pervushina (RUS)
Kayla Day (USA)
Rebeka Masarova (ESP)
Amanda Anisimova (USA)
Kaja Juvan (SLO)
Amina Anshba (RUS)
Dayana Yastremska (UKR)
Claire Liu (USA)
Taylor Johnson (USA)

Whitney Osuigwe (USA)
Marta Kostyuk (UKR)
Elena Rybakinka (KAZ)
Xinyu Wang (CHN)
Olga Danilovic (SRB)
En Shuo Liang (TPE)
Emiliana Arango (COL)
Maria Camila Osorio Serrano (COL)
Simona Waltert (CAN)
Carson Branstine (CAN)

Clara Burel (FRA)
Coco Gauff (USA)
Xiyu Wang (CHN)
Clara Tauson (DEN)
Maria Camila Osorio Serrano (COL)
En Shuo Liang (TPE)
Xinyu Wang (CHN)
Caty McNally (USA)
Qinwen Zheng (CHN)
Eleonora Molinaro (LUX)

Boys

Miomir Kecmanovic (SRB)
Stefanos Tsitsipas (GRE)
Yosuke Watanuki (JPN)
Felix Auger-Aliassime (CAN)
Ulises Blanch (USA)
Yibing Wu (CHN)
Geoffrey Blancaneaux (FRA)
Jurabek Karimov (UZB)
Benjamin Sigouin (CAN)
Nicola Kuhn (ESP)

Axel Geller (ARG)
Yibing Wu (CHN)
Alexei Popyrin (AUS)
Timofei Skatov (KAZ)
Emil Ruusuvuori (FIN)
Zsombor Piros (HUN)
Marko Miladinovic (SRB)
Jurij Radionov (AUT)
Yuta Shimizu (JPN)
Uisung Park (KOR)

Chun Hsin Tseng (TPE)
Hugo Gaston (FRE)
Sebastian Baez (ARG)
Adrian Andreev (BUL)
Brandon Nakashima (USA)
Facundo Diaz Acosta (ARG)
Nicolas Meija (COL)
Lorenzo Musetti (ITA)
Sebastian Korda (USA)
Gilbert Klier Junior (BRA)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

A bit of a good example that making it to a top 10 in juniors carries little guarantee of professional success. It is interesting for the class of 2016/Boys, from which only 3 have made it to the top 100.
Txs
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Leylah got to #1 in Juniors in 2019 after she reached the Final of the Junior Aussie Open (lost to Tauson), and then won the Junior Roland Garros, which was her last Junior tournament.
In 2018, Leylah lost in the Semis of Roland Garros to Cori Gauff, and I believe she (Leylah) was in the top 10 at some point during 2018.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Wasn't it Tauson who got it to #1 after junior AO and Fernandez replaced her after RG? At least that's how I remember it..
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I guess... I don't know when exactly Tauson reached #1 - but I know that Leylah got to #1 toward the middle of the year.
What I meant was that the Junior Aussie Open Final and winning the Junior Roland Garros helped get Leylah to #1.

I believe that Tauson didn't play the Junior Roland Garros that year (2018), because she was injured - is that right?
R.I.P. Amal...

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

First of all 2019 not 2018. Not sure about injury, but I think 2019 AO junior title was her very last junior tournament.

The weird part is that neither is found in 2019 year end rankings. Understandable for Tauson, but Fernandez should have been in still. I guess I just don't know how junior rankings work in detail...