ATP & WTA rankings

Our main board to talk about our sport
Deuce Canada

Re: ATP & WTA rankings

Post by Deuce »

That's great for Clara. And she did it without losing a set all tournament, I think - good stuff.
The others can now welcome her to the top 100 group.

One more thing about Leylah... she has a sister - younger by about a year - who is also a tennis player. Her name is Bianca (which will cause some confusion here in Canada if she makes it to the 'big time').
After a doubles match that Leylah and Bianca played together a couple of years ago, I complemented Leylah on her drive and determination, then I turned to Bianca and said "Do you have that same desire and passion for the game as your sister?" Bianca replied "Ummm... No."
And that could be seen, as well. Leylah's level of determination is quite rare.

I remember thinking "Leylah will make it (as a pro), but Bianca won't." I haven't seen Bianca since then, but her results at the lower levels haven't been attention grabbing. She's less serious and more of a goofball than Leylah is - not as disciplined. But who knows? Maybe Leylah's success will inspire her - maybe she'll see Leylah doing well, doing interviews, getting sponsorships, and she'll say to herself "That looks like a lot of fun - I'm going to work toward that." But she'll have to fight through her goofy nature to get it done.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Big day in ATP rankings - on March 15th Daniil Medvedev will become the first man outside Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray to ascend higher than #3.
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

Let's enjoy this week then :lol: :lol: :lol:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Aryna Sabalenka in Dubai with her Doubles World #1 Trophy

ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Nole will stay there for a long time, but I don't see Rafa coming back to #2. Roger less.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

It's not like Medvedev did anything all that special to get there. Could easily lose to someone else like him or maybe even Rafa.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

That works better for him. He has one slam final, the ATP Champs, and another slam semi (USO). So he can still add points to his total.
I don't see Rafa driven for the #1 spot, which Nole was. He will go the Serena approach: selective scheduling, trying to peak for the slams.

Post by JazzNU »

It's a lot of hoopla for #2 if you ask me. I know it's been a long time, and I'm not saying don't write an article or something acknowledging it. But he won the silver medal, is it worth this much attention? Hope the coverage of this is coming to an end.

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:51 pm

They are going to try to drag Ash to her grave any way they know how. I truly do not know why they hate her so much. If this was just about trying to make a point about the rankings in general and not target Ash, they would've left off Kvitova and Svitolina and added in Andreescu and Bencic, two players ranked very high that also haven't played much since the hiatus but never get mentioned because it doesn't actually seem like it's about just the rankings, but who they like and who they don't.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I think a valid point is being lost in the Barty-hate to but Kvitova and Svitolina are on the list. Both tours can be called to task for how they've handled their ranking systems but I think it's only the ATP that has gone out of its way to protect one player and you hardly hear anything about that from many fans and none of the "credentialed media".

Still Tennis Australia went out of its way to protect Barty with a cakewalk draw that she still didn't take advantage of.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I would not go with hatred, but if she were around 2500+ points it would be more acceptable. By now, there have been enough tournaments for the system to be tweaked once more.
And I guess nobody is talking about Bianca or Belinda because they are not #1.
I would say that at a minimum, something had to be done to get Naomi to #1. There is very little doubt where she stands right now.