ATP & WTA rankings

Our main board to talk about our sport
3mlm United States of America

Re: ATP & WTA rankings

Post by 3mlm »

Lindsey Davenport suggested today that they should have counted the best of 2021 or 2022 Wimbledon scores instead of not counting 2022 scores. That happened with some tournaments during the pandemic scoring.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

That would strongly disadvantage younger players who were not yet playing well in 2021.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The best that the AELTC and LTA could have done would have been to read all the reasons that were posted IN THIS FORUM (for example) about why banning Russian and Belarusian players was a dumb idea. Wrong and dumb. Anyway, water under the bridge.
Now, Novak will be seeded at #7 for next year's RG (USO and Aussie seem off the table, still). Rafa and him, again, in the QF's.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:58 pm The best that the AELTC and LTA could have done would have been to read all the reasons that were posted IN THIS FORUM (for example) about why banning Russian and Belarusian players was a dumb idea. Wrong and dumb. Anyway, water under the bridge.
Now, Novak will be seeded at #7 for next year's RG (USO and Aussie seem off the table, still). Rafa and him, again, in the QF's.
The Novak being seeded #7 is completely silly, but the USO and AO being off the table is because of one person and he could change that situation but he will not. So that is his decision. Those countries are not going to make an exemption for one person. In the end it is going to hurt his chances of passing Rafa in the total Slams. I sadly do not see Roger winning anymore Slams and Rafa can still win the French Open regularly until he retires. That leaves Wimbledon for Novak. Rafa can also be in the running for the AO and the USO as well. So the advantage for the total slams as I see it as these 3 players reach the end of their careers is definitely in Rafa's favor right now. Of course there are the other younger players like Medvedev, Zverev, Tsitsipas, Sinner, Alcaraz, Ruud,Rublev, FAA, Berrettini and the rest that want an impact.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And I did not realize that with the title at Bastad, Cerundolo climbed to #30. I was paying more attention to Baez. Now they both could be seeded at the USO, together with Diego. :thumbsup:

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Even though Bastad was on Clay and I don't really know how well Cerundolo will do on the hard courts at the USO, but he is playing great tennis right now. Someone to keep an eye on.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Although Argentine produces a lot of clay courters, their last two slams have been at the USO (Delpo 2009, Gaby 1990). Add to that Nalbandian's ATP Champs Vs Roger, and they do well on hard courts.

EDIT. I always forget Gaudio's 2004 RG, which is odd because I liked the guy, especially his BH. But anyway, they are not shabby on hard courts. Gaby made two USO finals, as did Delpo. They play well there.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I have nothing against Pegula but how is she ranked this high? Am I missing something?
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:26 pm

I have nothing against Pegula but how is she ranked this high? Am I missing something?
I like Pegula and it seems like when she enters a tournament she always wins a few matches in the tournaments. I rarely see her go out in the 1st round. Not sure if that is one of the reasons she creeps up in the rankings. She just never seems to do awful and she also seems and this just might be me to enter a lot of tournaments.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

She flipped positions with Collins. A new American #1, which is not a shabby accomplishment.
Last "1st round" exit: IW, after a real 1st round bye. If you consistently make it two or three rounds, I guess you end up at #7. She is solid. What Cuckoo says.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:40 pm She flipped positions with Collins. A new American #1, which is not a shabby accomplishment.
Last "1st round" exit: IW, after a real 1st round bye. If you consistently make it two or three rounds, I guess you end up at #7. She is solid. What Cuckoo says.
I also know Collins lost in her 1st round in her last tournament last week. It really isn't that Jess is doing a smash up job, but she does win a few matches in each tournament and I guess that is good enough to scoot up one spot or two.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

You all are correct but this is why the WTA draws collapse during the first week of a major. Pegula in the top 20 is fine. Top ten?
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

I don't really think that Pegula is a better player than Raducanu, Coco Gauff, Collins, Kasatkina, Bencic, Leylah, Halep, & Ostepenko. So yeah in the top 20 is about right for Jess Pegula , but not the top 10.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Pegula has made the QFs of two slams this year, plus the semifinals of Miami and the finals of Madrid. That's better than a top 20 performance. Since she's been working with David Witt, the level of her game has upped considerably. She's definitely a more consistent player than any of those listed above, and much less likely to have an off day.

Also, she plays every week, and the WTA ranking system greatly favors showing up for the Open(ing) of an Envelope.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And remember who we have in the top 10 at the moment.
The two winningest players in that group? Mugu and Aryna: 10 tournaments wins (career). You have three players with 1 tournament win: Emma, Sakkari and Pegula. Total number of slams: 5.
And why can't Jessica be better than: Coco, Kasatkina, Bencic and Leylah? That group: highest ranking: 11, 10, 4 and 14. Ok, Bencic has done better, but the other three are about the same standard of players.
It is so even that we can be sure that by the end of the USO, we will have a total shuffle of the order in the top 10 (except Iga) because the separation between players is super slim.