ATP & WTA rankings

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: ATP & WTA rankings

Post by ponchi101 »

Owendonovan wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:44 pm For me, anything Larry Ellison’s name is on is stained.
Problem is that Oracle owns JAVA. And JAVA is truly everywhere.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Owendonovan wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:44 pm For me, anything Larry Ellison’s name is on is stained.
I had no idea he'd set up a fiefdom on the Hawaiian island he bought until I heard what he's done there on a podcast. Definitely "stained".
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Indian Wells, do you boycott it then?
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Personally, yes.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

One more win for Gauff to join the top 10.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Totally a contender for Wimby, this year.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I don't quite get the prevailing scepticism about her GS chances around here. Not for this particular Wimbledon necessarily, but medium term.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Lot's of people in the forum have been saying that her progress has been "slow" and "methodical", in the good sense.
My opinion is that if she just made her first Slam final, and is now playing well on the surface for the next slam, she is a contender now. If she loses, so will 127 players in those two weeks. But I give her a good chance at W.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:48 pm Lot's of people in the forum have been saying that her progress has been "slow" and "methodical", in the good sense.
My opinion is that if she just made her first Slam final, and is now playing well on the surface for the next slam, she is a contender now. If she loses, so will 127 players in those two weeks. But I give her a good chance at W.
I'd consider her a contender for sure. Why not? She's playing great, evidently likes the surface. But it's not like anything less is a disappointment.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Joining the chorus re Cori. I thought she was another two years away from being a Slam contender but she has put in the work, she's stopped growing, and the results speak for themselves. With the right draw she can make the second week.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:22 pm Joining the chorus re Cori. I thought she was another two years away from being a Slam contender but she has put in the work, she's stopped growing, and the results speak for themselves. With the right draw she can make the second week.
I'll be honest, part of the expectation is the dearth of other Slam contenders other than Iga. I'm looking at her, Gauff, Jabeur, Halep, Pliskova, and Kerber as favorites, in that order. I keep looking past Sakkari, as always.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I wish we didn't have to look past Sakkari. She takes herself out of so many matches. It's sad to watch.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Coco is certainly playing well but I am not so sure she has improved..her forehand weakness persists...at RG, she had a very good draw,- the moment I saw the draw I said Coco is going to the semis ..we will soon know..she is playing Jabeur next..if she has really improved, she should beat Jabeur..somehow, I am not so sure. She beat Pliskova but she would have beaten her even last year, had they met at W..the next benchmark for her is players like Halep, Sakkari,Jabeur..when she beats them, she would have improved to the next level ..
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

What would be a "bad draw" nowadays? Apart from landing on Iga's side, on clay, who would be fearsome players on your side? Any of the top 10 (Sabalenka, Badosa, Kontaveit, etc) are, by definition, tough players, but nobody in that group is unbeatable. Drawing the current USO champ is nothing impossible, and any player below the top 10 is around the same.
Again, other than Iga on clay (and we will see soon if that spills over to grass or hards) I think there currently is no such a thing as a "bad draw". Or, the opposite: all draws are bad. It is called the WTA, right now.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:15 am What would be a "bad draw" nowadays? Apart from landing on Iga's side, on clay, who would be fearsome players on your side? Any of the top 10 (Sabalenka, Badosa, Kontaveit, etc) are, by definition, tough players, but nobody in that group is unbeatable. Drawing the current USO champ is nothing impossible, and any player below the top 10 is around the same.
Again, other than Iga on clay (and we will see soon if that spills over to grass or hards) I think there currently is no such a thing as a "bad draw". Or, the opposite: all draws are bad. It is called the WTA, right now.
Depends on the player..for Coco, a bad draw would be Kerber, Bencic, jabeur, Sakkari, Halep, even Leylah and Raducanu..on grass