Post Big 3

Our main board to talk about our sport
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America
Posts: 1369
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:21 am
Location: USA
Has thanked: 347 times
Been thanked: 331 times

Re: Post Big 3

#61

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:22 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:25 am The WTA stars of tomorrow? Look no further than Osaka, Swiatek, Rybakina - all young people. On the ATP, I wonder why not Medvedev, he is clearly the best of the lot, defending champion at the USO, just not great in clay, that is all ...after him, Alcaraz, Sinner and maybe Musetti...I don't see anyone else with that kind of potential . ..Ruud may achieve a Ferrer-like level, no more...

A couple years down the road, Raducanu and Leylah will get there...Coco, I think, will at most be a Wozniacki..Kostyuk is someone to keep an eye on in the long run...
When Liamvalid started the topic, his question was WHO WOULD YOU ROOT FOR, not necessarily who would be the top players. And it was mainly ATP, as it was sort of WHO WILL REPLACE THE BIG 3. As the WTA is way ahead of that curve, it was more along the lines.
Of course, you are correct, Medvedev will be very much in the conversation. But, for me, he has the most horrendous strokes I have ever seen, so I just can't see him as a fave (for me).
Remember, it was not WHO WILL BE THE NEXT GREAT ONE, but rather WHO WILL YOU BE ROOTING FOR.
Who will I root for and who do I root for even now is Frances Tiafoe. He is a fellow Marylander and seems like a very nice guy.
User avatar
meganfernandez United States of America
Posts: 3383
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:04 pm
Has thanked: 1811 times
Been thanked: 1013 times

Re: Post Big 3

#62

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:22 pm When Liamvalid started the topic, his question was WHO WOULD YOU ROOT FOR, not necessarily who would be the top players. And it was mainly ATP, as it was sort of WHO WILL REPLACE THE BIG 3. As the WTA is way ahead of that curve, it was more along the lines.
Of course, you are correct, Medvedev will be very much in the conversation. But, for me, he has the most horrendous strokes I have ever seen, so I just can't see him as a fave (for me).
Remember, it was not WHO WILL BE THE NEXT GREAT ONE, but rather WHO WILL YOU BE ROOTING FOR.
Tsitispas, Kecmanovic, Shapo and FAA. I like Medvedev a lot and he's a fun character to have around. Love Tiafoe, for sure, but I stop short of hoping for great things. I'l root for him in big matches. I'm not sure I'll root for anyone like I did Federer, Guga, Rafter, Ivanisevic.... affections are up for grabs. Might go to a doubles player.

I don't have Alcaraz fever at all. Starting to like Fritz, but I doubt I'll be a big fan. Of course, I like Botic but I don't know if he'll stay in the mix long enough to root for.
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America
Posts: 1369
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:21 am
Location: USA
Has thanked: 347 times
Been thanked: 331 times

Re: Post Big 3

#63

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:23 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:22 pm When Liamvalid started the topic, his question was WHO WOULD YOU ROOT FOR, not necessarily who would be the top players. And it was mainly ATP, as it was sort of WHO WILL REPLACE THE BIG 3. As the WTA is way ahead of that curve, it was more along the lines.
Of course, you are correct, Medvedev will be very much in the conversation. But, for me, he has the most horrendous strokes I have ever seen, so I just can't see him as a fave (for me).
Remember, it was not WHO WILL BE THE NEXT GREAT ONE, but rather WHO WILL YOU BE ROOTING FOR.
Tsitispas, Kecmanovic, Shapo and FAA. I like Medvedev a lot and he's a fun character to have around. Love Tiafoe, for sure, but I stop short of hoping for great things. I'l root for him in big matches. I'm not sure I'll root for anyone like I did Federer, Guga, Rafter, Ivanisevic.... affections are up for grabs. Might go to a doubles player.

I don't have Alcaraz fever at all. Starting to like Fritz, but I doubt I'll be a big fan. Of course, I like Botic but I don't know if he'll stay in the mix long enough to root for.
But Botic is your man. ;) You have to cheer for him till he retires. Same with me with Ben Shelton. I don't know how far he will go and if he will be in the top tier of players, but he is sure nice to look at when he plays. :lol:
User avatar
meganfernandez United States of America
Posts: 3383
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:04 pm
Has thanked: 1811 times
Been thanked: 1013 times

Re: Post Big 3

#64

Post by meganfernandez »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:47 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:23 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:22 pm When Liamvalid started the topic, his question was WHO WOULD YOU ROOT FOR, not necessarily who would be the top players. And it was mainly ATP, as it was sort of WHO WILL REPLACE THE BIG 3. As the WTA is way ahead of that curve, it was more along the lines.
Of course, you are correct, Medvedev will be very much in the conversation. But, for me, he has the most horrendous strokes I have ever seen, so I just can't see him as a fave (for me).
Remember, it was not WHO WILL BE THE NEXT GREAT ONE, but rather WHO WILL YOU BE ROOTING FOR.
Tsitispas, Kecmanovic, Shapo and FAA. I like Medvedev a lot and he's a fun character to have around. Love Tiafoe, for sure, but I stop short of hoping for great things. I'l root for him in big matches. I'm not sure I'll root for anyone like I did Federer, Guga, Rafter, Ivanisevic.... affections are up for grabs. Might go to a doubles player.

I don't have Alcaraz fever at all. Starting to like Fritz, but I doubt I'll be a big fan. Of course, I like Botic but I don't know if he'll stay in the mix long enough to root for.
But Botic is your man. ;) You have to cheer for him till he retires. Same with me with Ben Shelton. I don't know how far he will go and if he will be in the top tier of players, but he is sure nice to look at when he plays. :lol:
Ah-ha. I just remembered what it's like to be 16. :) I was a big Philippoussis fan for one reason only.
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America
Posts: 1369
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:21 am
Location: USA
Has thanked: 347 times
Been thanked: 331 times

Re: Post Big 3

#65

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:19 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:47 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:23 pm

Tsitispas, Kecmanovic, Shapo and FAA. I like Medvedev a lot and he's a fun character to have around. Love Tiafoe, for sure, but I stop short of hoping for great things. I'l root for him in big matches. I'm not sure I'll root for anyone like I did Federer, Guga, Rafter, Ivanisevic.... affections are up for grabs. Might go to a doubles player.

I don't have Alcaraz fever at all. Starting to like Fritz, but I doubt I'll be a big fan. Of course, I like Botic but I don't know if he'll stay in the mix long enough to root for.
But Botic is your man. ;) You have to cheer for him till he retires. Same with me with Ben Shelton. I don't know how far he will go and if he will be in the top tier of players, but he is sure nice to look at when he plays. :lol:
Ah-ha. I just remembered what it's like to be 16. :) I was a big Philippoussis fan for one reason only.
Ben Shelton is 19 and has rock hard abs and such a cute adorable face. I would rally with him any time. ;)
Improbabledream United States of America
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun May 30, 2021 5:07 am
Location: USA
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Post Big 3

#66

Post by Improbabledream »

Liamvalid wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:16 pm Just wondered what people think their enjoyment will be of the ATP once the big 3 retire/wind down/fizzle out. I’ve never really been into the ATP that much, other than watching Henman’s rollercoaster matches at Wimbledon as a kid, I’ve only ever actively supported Nadal (and I kind of loved Wawrinka in his later career). There’s always talk of peoples interest waning after the Big 3 go, but I’m really excited for the future. I really like Medvedev and his kooky ways. Also love watching Fokina, Ruud, Tiafoe, Berrettini, Felix, Norrie, Khachanov, Rublev, Sinner. Only player I really can’t watch is Zverev. I’m on the cusp with Tsitsipas, I desperately want to like him but his antics sometimes put me off. I think in 2 or 3 years time I will prefer the ATP over the WTA for the very first time
I WISH i was excited by the future of tennis the gods are retiring to mount olympus and we must muddle around in bland mediocrity, with a new guy winning every time, until we wake up and realize this is the way it was before, and this is the way sports are. This has been a crazy era.
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests