Post Big 3

Our main board to talk about our sport
skatingfan Canada

Re: Post Big 3

Post by skatingfan »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:06 pm True. I forgot about him. If I am putting all these, Andrei should make the list.
But, the answer is there. If I can't even remember to put him in a list of POTENTIAL faves, that seems pretty bad, no?
He's only just cracked the top 10 recently, and he hasn't had that breakout performance at a Grand Slam. Maybe the mixed doubles win is a source of inspiration.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

It happens with eastern-euro players (they are getting overlooked sometimes, even though if basing on merit, they shouldn't be). It happened with Davydenko, until it wasn't impossible to ignore the player's accomplishments. Rublev reached GS quarters on 4 occasions at 3 different slams. Out of Felix, Musetti, Sinner nobody is even close to this.
Another player, who has better credentials than Felix/Musetti/Sinner is Hubert Hurkacz with his SF at Wimbledon and Miami title. Coincidentally - also eastern-euro.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

True. Hurkacz has been playing good tennis these last six months, but I gather that is where the problem resides (to me). His breakthrough is recent, and I really would have been hard pressed to say anything about him around January.
---0---
And since we are in this topic. With yesterday announcements by Roger and Rafa, can we say that the era is over? Are we really POST BIG THREE already? I say: yes. It was great, but time to pass that page. It is Nole against the young ones.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:06 pm True. Hurkacz has been playing good tennis these last six months, but I gather that is where the problem resides (to me). His breakthrough is recent, and I really would have been hard pressed to say anything about him around January.
---0---
And since we are in this topic. With yesterday announcements by Roger and Rafa, can we say that the era is over? Are we really POST BIG THREE already? I say: yes. It was great, but time to pass that page. It is Nole against the young ones.
What did Rafa announce?
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

mick1303 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:41 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:06 pm True. Hurkacz has been playing good tennis these last six months, but I gather that is where the problem resides (to me). His breakthrough is recent, and I really would have been hard pressed to say anything about him around January.
---0---
What did Rafa announce?
It looks as if Rafa's foot injury is congenital, bones in his foot didn't develop properly, and that the problem can't be ignored anymore. It's looking as if he may have to have reconstructive surgery on his foot. The condition has a name but I can't remember it right now.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
3mlm United States of America

Post by 3mlm »

mick1303 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:41 pm
What did Rafa announce?
ti-amie wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:27 pm
It looks as if Rafa's foot injury is congenital, bones in his foot didn't develop properly, and that the problem can't be ignored anymore. It's looking as if he may have to have reconstructive surgery on his foot. The condition has a name but I can't remember it right now.
Mueller-weiss disease
3mlm United States of America

Post by 3mlm »

Back in November 2007, Tony Nadal was quoted in Diario de Mallorcaas:

“Rafael’s been affected by an injury to his foot since 2005. He has to learn how to live with it and so far he has managed for two years,” Toni Nadal said in the interview.

It’s very serious. I don’t know [if it’s career-threatening]. I’ll let the doctor reply to that. He has to take a lot of precautions when he plays.”

Nadal was first diagnosed with Mueller-Weiss disease in 2007. It's a congenital condition where a particular foot bone fails to develop properly. It's hard to diagnose and most people aren't diagnosed with it until they're in their 40s, which may account for the two years it took his doctors to diagnose it. Nadal was only 21 when they made the diagnosis.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Didn't they do something to his shoes at one point to make it easier for him?
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

He wears custom made insoles, that I know.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

Interesting riddle. What 3 players other than big 3 have the most wins against Big 3 in Grand Slams? Who has the most? I'm wondering if someone will answer without looking up - just based on memory. I myself was not able to answer correctly on both accounts))
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

mick1303 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:51 am Interesting riddle. What 3 players other than big 3 have the most wins against Big 3 in Grand Slams? Who has the most? I'm wondering if someone will answer without looking up - just based on memory. I myself was not able to answer correctly on both accounts))
Hewitt Nalbandian Murray?
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Without looking up, I would only change Moz' list by subbing Nalbandian with Stan.
But whomever they are, the numbers must be slim.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

I was thinking Murray, Stan and Del Potro. And thought that Murray was in the lead, influenced by the notion of "Big 4". But when I looked it up - turned out that the trio is Wawrinka, Murray and Berdych. And Stan has the most wins - 6, while Murray and Berdych - 5 each.
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

Good on Stan & Andy to have something to show for their tremendous efforts against the Big3 at Slams. Berdych, not so much.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Time to add two more possible players that may become faves:
Alcaraz. PROS: The FH is a beauty, the movement superb. Obviously dedicated to the craft and following very carefully a plan for gradual improvement. And the off court and on court attitudes are pleasant; no signs of anything going too much to his head. CONS: I can't root for somebody that still has juvenile acne. I just can't; makes me feel too antediluvian. (translation: can't think of anything).
Ruud. PROS: as opposed to Alcaraz, it is the BH that is gorgeous. Solid striker, quiet on court, obviously has been working hard on his game. CONS: uhm... nothing come to mind. Please, somebody, find out something I can whine about.