Post Big 3

Our main board to talk about our sport
3mlm United States of America

Re: Post Big 3

Post by 3mlm »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:57 pm Time to add two more possible players that may become faves:
Alcaraz. PROS: The FH is a beauty, the movement superb. Obviously dedicated to the craft and following very carefully a plan for gradual improvement. And the off court and on court attitudes are pleasant; no signs of anything going too much to his head. CONS: I can't root for somebody that still has juvenile acne. I just can't; makes me feel too antediluvian. (translation: can't think of anything).
Ruud. PROS: as opposed to Alcaraz, it is the BH that is gorgeous. Solid striker, quiet on court, obviously has been working hard on his game. CONS: uhm... nothing come to mind. Please, somebody, find out something I can whine about.
Agree with everything you said about Alcaraz. He's one of several players that make me think, "You need a better dermatologist!"

The only Ruud CON I can think of is that I can't seem to recognize him on sight. Maybe as I see him play more often.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Well puberty isn't quite finished with Carlos no? If he keeps up his level of play in another couple of years he'll have the best skin in tennis.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

This basically settles it for me. Carlitos is my new player to root for.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Carlos Alcaraz, Jannik Sinner, Brandon Nakashima

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I think Carlitos loss this weekend was good. Yes he's very good but he has the potential to be better if he continues to work on his game and not think there's no room for improvement.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

We also have to keep gauging our expectations. He will win Slams. He will be a top three.
The next super player? We have to wait and see.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Fritz has been very quietly going to Europe for a few years now and playing tournaments most US players avoid like the plague. It's why I respect what he's accomplishing now and why I think he's headed for big things, the first US player in a long time.

I'm still waiting to be convinced about Sinner. I know he's got his stans here but I want to see what he does during the US summer hardcourt season, Canada, and of course NYC in August.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Carlos is the front runner here and I do believe he will be a constant top 3 player in the near future. It is crazy to think he is just 19 years old and has much to improve on. He will get his slams under his belt very soon. I think he will be the next French Open superstar.

Taylor could have a breakthrough at this USO. He convinced me he is ready at Wimbledon.

Sinner is almost there as well and just needs to finish. I do think he has what it takes to get it done.

FAA is another guy who I think has the tools to reach a new level as well.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

The WTA stars of tomorrow? Look no further than Osaka, Swiatek, Rybakina - all young people. On the ATP, I wonder why not Medvedev, he is clearly the best of the lot, defending champion at the USO, just not great in clay, that is all ...after him, Alcaraz, Sinner and maybe Musetti...I don't see anyone else with that kind of potential . ..Ruud may achieve a Ferrer-like level, no more...

A couple years down the road, Raducanu and Leylah will get there...Coco, I think, will at most be a Wozniacki..Kostyuk is someone to keep an eye on in the long run...
Last edited by ashkor87 on Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

I'm probably nuts. But, while I firmly believe Carlitos will enjoy a lot of success at Roland Garros, I have a feeling the US Open will be his most successful major (more so than Melbourne, and I'm not quite sure why I say that). I'm not ruling out Wimbledon yet, either.

Maybe I'm overestimating the Miami win. I just think fast surfaces are closer to his bread and butter.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ashkor87 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:25 am The WTA stars of tomorrow? Look no further than Osaka, Swiatek, Rybakina - all young people. On the ATP, I wonder why not Medvedev, he is clearly the best of the lot, defending champion at the USO, just not great in clay, that is all ...after him, Alcaraz, Sinner and maybe Musetti...I don't see anyone else with that kind of potential . ..Ruud may achieve a Ferrer-like level, no more...

A couple years down the road, Raducanu and Leylah will get there...Coco, I think, will at most be a Wozniacki..Kostyuk is someone to keep an eye on in the long run...
Musetti seems to have some really sweet ground strokes to his game. He just has to put it all together. I think he has a lot of potential.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I'm afraid that Musetti will be Hicham Arazi 2.0 - loads of natural, magical talent, capable of hitting any shot from anywhere on the court - but weak in the head. He possesses the natural physical ability to be a regular member of the Top 5... but he'll remain in the 25 to 40 ranked range for his career because of his psychological weaknesses.
Fritz won't spend much time within the top 10. He'll float between 10 and 20. He lacks a 'killer instinct', and that is a huge weakness at the pro level.
Sinner is still a 'wait and see' for me. He's had flashes of brilliance, but has been very inconsistent - one week looking like a top 10 player, and the next week looking like a #45 ranked player.
Alcaraz is for real. Will be a regular member of the Top 5, at least.

Leylah will have a solid, stable top 20 career, with some brief forays into the top 10 from time to time.
Same with Gauff.
Raducanu will settle around the 25 to 40 area - certainly respectable, but falling well short of post-U.S. Open expectations.
Kostyuk's progress has stalled, it seems.
Tauson had success in Juniors, but is still a complete unknown at the WTA level.
Osaka's tennis career is entirely dependent on her emotional/psychological state, which is fragile. If she can establish a stable emotional/psychological foundation, she'll be a consistent Top 5 player.
Swiatek will remain in the top 10 for pretty much her entire career - but not always in the top 5.
Rybakina is, to me, similar to Sinner - I need to see more. Like Sinner, she is inconsistent - can play like a top 5 player one week, and like a #45 ranked player the next week.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

With Coco Gauff, I truly believe in the next few years as she works on solidifying her ground strokes and consistency she will be in the top 5. She is going to have one of the best serves in the women's game as well.

Osaka, I agree if she gets her emotional part back she can get back to the top.

Swiatek will stay at the top.

Rybakina , I think because her serve will be tough to handle by any women's player will be in the top 10.

Not sure about Tauson yet.

Leylah and Emma, I think both of them can float as high as 15 to the 25 range.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ashkor87 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:25 am The WTA stars of tomorrow? Look no further than Osaka, Swiatek, Rybakina - all young people. On the ATP, I wonder why not Medvedev, he is clearly the best of the lot, defending champion at the USO, just not great in clay, that is all ...after him, Alcaraz, Sinner and maybe Musetti...I don't see anyone else with that kind of potential . ..Ruud may achieve a Ferrer-like level, no more...

When Liamvalid started the topic, his question was WHO WOULD YOU ROOT FOR, not necessarily who would be the top players. And it was mainly ATP, as it was sort of WHO WILL REPLACE THE BIG 3. As the WTA is way ahead of that curve, it was more along the lines.
Of course, you are correct, Medvedev will be very much in the conversation. But, for me, he has the most horrendous strokes I have ever seen, so I just can't see him as a fave (for me).
Remember, it was not WHO WILL BE THE NEXT GREAT ONE, but rather WHO WILL YOU BE ROOTING FOR.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Medvedev..feel sorry for him..should have won the ausopen...