by Liamvalid Just wondered what people think their enjoyment will be of the ATP once the big 3 retire/wind down/fizzle out. I’ve never really been into the ATP that much, other than watching Henman’s rollercoaster matches at Wimbledon as a kid, I’ve only ever actively supported Nadal (and I kind of loved Wawrinka in his later career). There’s always talk of peoples interest waning after the Big 3 go, but I’m really excited for the future. I really like Medvedev and his kooky ways. Also love watching Fokina, Ruud, Tiafoe, Berrettini, Felix, Norrie, Khachanov, Rublev, Sinner. Only player I really can’t watch is Zverev. I’m on the cusp with Tsitsipas, I desperately want to like him but his antics sometimes put me off. I think in 2 or 3 years time I will prefer the ATP over the WTA for the very first time

by ti-amie The ATP has been planning for its tour post Big 3 for a few years now. They heavily promoted its Next Gen players and I think that fans of the Big 3 are already choosing up sides between the likes of Berrettini, Rublev, Sinner and Stefanos. Among the others mentioned, many of whom already have devoted followings, is Korda who has the potential to be the next big US player.

The WTA is, in dire straits. Osaka, whether they like it or not, is already the face of the new WTA. Other than her name one player who has the ability to carry the tour forward publicity wise. They have had the Williams sisters for almost 20 years now I think and they didn't like it at all. No stars have come from Asia to follow in Li Na's wake and none of the Big 4 tennis countries of the past - the US, England, France and Australia have produced their own stars (and yes we can argue about Naomi). Czechia's almost total sweep of the women's tournament in Paris while impressive will not put butts in the seats or draw new fans. The WTA has done it to itself by not promoting women's tennis and going with the promotion of personalities. I don't know how or when it will recover.

by Suliso Actually I'm optimistic on both tours. The big three era was great, but to be honest I've started to get bored with it the last few years. There are plenty of interesting players to take over. Right now Tsitsipas and Sinner are my favorites, but that could still change. It doesn't actually matter that they aren't as good as those three in their primes.

Right now Osaka is indeed the biggest star, but there will be competition once someone else from the younger generation wins 2-3 Slams. Bianca maybe if she ever gets healthy, Iga is a possibility and of course Coco could be a major competition especially in US.

by Suliso Australia has produced a star, just she's not very star like by nature.

by ti-amie
Suliso wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:41 pm Australia has produced a star, just she's not very star like by nature.
We're not that kind of site but some of the comments about Barty elsewhere are jaw dropping. I have nothing against her but I always forget about her until a major rolls around and it's like "oh yeah, she's the WTA number one". She is a "star" in one sense but as someone who the proverbial "casual fan" will mention if asked about women's tennis she's not. I'll never forget the Uber guy who drove me to the Open asked me when Venus (or was it Serena? It was in the before time so I'm not sure) was playing because he'd always wanted to see her. That is star power.

by Suliso I could hardly argue, but first of all one would also need to ask in Australia and second these things are to some extent connected to winning a lot.

by ti-amie
Suliso wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:54 pm I could hardly argue, but first of all one would also need to ask in Australia and second these things are to some extent connected to winning a lot.
I wonder if she's that popular among the "casuals" in Australia. I'm asking because I'm seriously not sure.

by atlpam I haven't seen enough of Sinner to have an opinion one way or the other; I'm becoming a Tsitsipas fan. I also like Medvedev. I think Zverev will be similar to Djokovic for me - I may appreciate his game when he plays well, but not sure I'll ever be a big fan. I haven't had a lot of opportunity to watch the up & coming group since YouTube TV dropped Tennis Channel.

I think Iga has potential on the WTA side, but need to see more of her performance off clay. I don't really see any big rivalries developing right now within WTA.

by JazzNU I've said before that I think the WTA has a brighter future for star power than the ATP. That doesn't mean I think the WTA will become considerably more popular, but in terms of overall interest outside of tennis and popularity outside of tennis to draw in the non-tennis fan or the general sports fan, I've seen more potential for the women than the men so far in the next few years when we're not talking about the Big 3 or Serena and Venus. I look at who can land on the cover of Vogue or Cosmo or GQ or Esquire, not who can land on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

Now, there've been some bumps in the road. Will Bianca ever be healthy for a long stretch? Will Amanda reach the level she was projected to be at and also, will she mature anytime soon? That being said, there is enough good young talent, led by Coco, that seem to have a very good shot at winning a grand slam that will garner Madison Ave attention. In this context, I'm talking younger than Naomi, since she's already leading the way now even though she's just 23.

Now, on the men, whew. Talk about bumps in the road. Zverev was pushed as the heir apparent and just yikes. Stef seems like he might be able to lead the way, but it can't be overstated how many players he seems to have a beef with him. Just how unlikable is he? It kind of makes me think he might be closer to Nole than Roger & Rafa with fans in the end, and if that winds up being the case, as we've seen with Nole, outside of Serbia, he has not been some marketing god because the popularity is not the same. So far, it hasn't been an issue. But it wasn't for Nole in early years either.

If FAA, Korda, and Musetti become as good as some think they can be, then I think that the ATP could definitely regain some footing post-Big 3. Musetti had a rough, disappointing week, so maybe he's not as likable as he first seemed. We'll see, but those 3 are ones I'm keeping an eye on to help with moving forward. Three players that are very easy to root for and who have been (up until this past week for Musetti) very engaging in their interviews and with fans. Will they be the big 3? No, never. But might lead to a good phase of tennis that can garner attention outside of just tennis fans.

Also, not next gen, but Berrettini, Berrettini, Berrettini. Put some PR support behind him and he could easily soar outside of the sport. And he's only 25.

by ti-amie Berrettini is a very good tennis player and has the looks but it's Musetti who has made the covers of magazines. I was very pro Musetti until this week. FAA needs a psychologist to get over his mental block when it comes to Finals. Zverev was the heir apparent but he's now in, and may remain in exile for fans and sponsors.

Now that Andreescu is with IMG and is being repped by Eisenbud she's going to have to play matches. New hair and make-up aside if she doesn't play it won't matter and IMG will drop her.

I agree about Cori Gauff having the potential to be huge especially if she continues to raise her level of play and is marketed properly.

Outside of them, and notice it's all potential at this point, I don't see any superstars coming out of the WTA.

by Suliso You don't think Swiatek has a potential if she win another Slam or two?

by ti-amie
Suliso wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:14 pm You don't think Swiatek has a potential if she win another Slam or two?
She has great potential as a tennis star. Fans will want to see her. But I remember Steffi Graf, a great tennis player and star but it was Evert who was the face of tennis for a very long time. Those are two different things.

by Suliso
ti-amie wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:21 pm
Suliso wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:14 pm You don't think Swiatek has a potential if she win another Slam or two?
She has great potential as a tennis star. Fans will want to see her. But I remember Steffi Graf, a great tennis player and star but it was Evert who was the face of tennis for a very long time. Those are two different things.
I'm too young to remember Evert, but I do know that Graf was a huge star in Germany. Together with Boris the real faces of tennis in that country. When they retired interest in tennis waned considerably and only very recently has been rekindled to a large extent.

by Suliso You might ask how do I know that? My mother speaks German and to not to forget the language used to watch regularly German TV shows and movies on satellite TV in the 90-ties.

by JazzNU
ti-amie wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:00 pm Berrettini is a very good tennis player and has the looks but it's Musetti who has made the covers of magazines. I was very pro Musetti until this week. FAA needs a psychologist to get over his mental block when it comes to Finals. Zverev was the heir apparent but he's now in, and may remain in exile for fans and sponsors.

Outside of them, and notice it's all potential at this point, I don't see any superstars coming out of the WTA.
I see many more than that for the women, but definitely mostly potential at this stage that could end up being busts. But a few so far that appear to be the real deal. But there's questions of more than just a bust on the court. Amanda is a good example of someone who could start winning, but if she doesn't mature a bit more, brands don't appear to be willing to invest in her just yet. She was winning before and it was a whole lot of crickets from sponsors, which is unusual given the attention she was getting and her looks, you'd have thought she'd take off more, but she didn't. And she's with IMG, so you gotta think they were trying.

In terms of Musetti and Berrettini. I think it shouldn't be an either/or. I know Musetti has gotten the covers. But Matteo should be getting them, he needs new representation I'm guessing, one that is much more ambitious in their approach. And the ATP would do well to offer some assistance since they need an "It" guy that isn't the top 3 and isn't still developing. He's already there, so a good one to push as a bridge til the others come along a bit more.

by JazzNU
Suliso wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:29 pm
I'm too young to remember Evert, but I do know that Graf was a huge star in Germany. Together with Boris the real faces of tennis in that country. When they retired interest in tennis waned considerably and only very recently has been rekindled to a large extent.
It was all Monica Seles, all the time in the US. Steffi was respected and a tennis star. Monica was the one grabbing the headlines and was the superstar and it wasn't close.

I'm also too young for Evert's prime, but since she's American, I've heard plenty from a wide range of current TV personalities here and one of the best ways to illustrate her popularity is that the number of 50-60 ish year old men that had Chrissie Evert as a poster on their wall is astounding. She was the girl next door that the parents approved of having a crush on.

by Suliso Berrettini is a very good looking guy, but is he capable of winning anything big? I have my doubts and without winning he'll be no more than male Hantuchova. :)

As for why Anisimova didn't get far more attention than she did still mystifies me. I guess I just don't remember what the immature things she did were.

by JazzNU
Suliso wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:50 pm Berrettini is a very good looking guy, but is he capable of winning anything big? I have my doubts and without winning he'll be no more than male Hantuchova. :)

As for why Anisimova didn't get far more attention than she did still mystifies me. I guess I just don't remember what the immature things she did were.
You are shortchanging Matteo if you think Hantuchova is the female comparison of him in the looks department. And Anna Kournikova didn't need to win anything big to garner attention and he wouldn't either. He's top 10, been to the semis of the US Open, has won titles, and unlike Musetti, didn't wilt in the match against Nole, and that is plenty.

Understand, I'm not saying he can replace the interest that the Big 3 garner. I'm saying that here is a player that is already successful, already has good results that you can put out there as another face of the tour, and one that can easily attract attention from non-tennis fans. You can make him into a superstar and the ATP is desperate for one that doesn't have any baggage.

by JazzNU Also, likely lost in my original comment is a point about Tsitsipas that I seriously have no idea about. Why do so many players hate him? Whatever the reason, it has the potential to be a problem down the line in a bigger way outside of the players. And to my mind, in terms of trying to move on from the Big 3 era, you need likable Roger & Rafa stars to carry you into the next phase, not a Novak leading the pack. You can easily find more guys willing to say something nice about Sascha before Stef, and right now, that's kind of shocking.

by Suliso I knew you'd bring up Kournikova! There was only ever one Kournikova and this kind of thing doesn't seem to work for men as well (unfair perhaps, but a fact). I'm just trying to think of a man who could sustain a huge popularity without winning big fairly soon. I'm coming up empty... Ivanisevic maybe before he won Wimbledon? Or perhaps James Blake? Can you think of a better example?

Mind you I have nothing against Berrettini at all. Maybe he'll be more successful than I imagine.

by Suliso
JazzNU wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:21 pm Also, likely lost in my original comment is a point about Tsitsipas that I seriously have no idea about. Why do so many players hate him? Whatever the reason, it has the potential to be a problem down the line in a bigger way outside of the players. And to my mind, in terms of trying to move on from the Big 3 era, you need likable Roger & Rafa stars to carry you into the next phase, not a Novak leading the pack. You can easily find more guys willing to say something nice about Sascha before Stef, and right now, that's kind of shocking.
This I would also like to know...

We did have Sampras era and it wasn't all bad. Pete was not unlikeable, but kind of bland...

by JazzNU
Suliso wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:28 pm I knew you'd bring up Kournikova! There was only ever one Kournikova and this kind of thing doesn't seem to work for men as well (unfair perhaps, but a fact). I'm just trying to think of a man who could sustain a huge popularity without winning big fairly soon. I'm coming up empty... Ivanisevic maybe before he won Wimbledon? Or perhaps James Blake? Can you think of a better example?

Mind you I have nothing against Berrettini at all. Maybe he'll be more successful than I imagine.

Gael Monfils. Grigor Dimitrov. Andy Roddick was very popular before he won his US Open title. People weren't at all saying "who?" when they were talking about who Mandy Moore was dating. He had already hit the mainstream before then. There's others too. In terms of an Anna K equivalent, I'm saying, you need a PR machine behind that person to create anything that is even a fraction of that. Her mother was a horrifying stage mother, but she knew what she was doing. I'm not suggesting that for Matteo, but are there ways to get some attention on him that he isn't getting right now? Yes, and it would help bring more attention to someone other than the Big 3 and some of the next gen that is getting a lot of attention, but aren't ready to take the reigns just yet from the Big 3.

Musetti's marketing team got him an Italian magazine cover before he made a splash in Rome last year. Matteo's team couldn't get that after he made the semis at the US Open. He needs new management to accomplish what I'm suggesting.

As for his success, I think it's easy to forget many of us barely knew who he was before 2019. He's had a remarkable rise in a short amount of time, so I wouldn't put a cap on his future right now.

by dmforever Maybe Matteo is happy with the way things are now and doesn't want any more publicity than his matches bring him. Just a thought. :)

Kevin

by Deuce I don't really understand the comparisons between Musetti and Berrettini, as the former is 6 years younger than the latter. You can't compare the two in terms of on-court maturity and experience. And, as for potential, of course the media view Musetti as having more, because he's younger. Berrettini is 25 years old, and he has a career that is more than respectable. But I don't think anyone realistically sees him as a potential #1.
But with Musetti, because he's only 19 years old, people see more potential - including potential #1. Simply because he hasn't been around long enough to show that he is or is not #1 material.
So I really don't see any point in comparing the two.

As for tennis in the 'post big 3 era'... I think it will be just as interesting and as exciting as the 'big 3 era' has been - but for very different reasons. There will be much more parity. I don't see there being a heavy favourite for any Major on any surface for a long while.
And that's a good thing, in my view.

The 'big 3 era' has been interesting mainly because of the rivalries between those 3 players. One need only look at the number of Majors each has won. When someone other than one of those 3 won a Major, it was always considered a big surprise - even including Murray's wins, I would say.
Post 'big 3', the rivalries will be more numerous, and matches will be less predictable. I'm looking forward to it.

by ponchi101 The Big Three era can be extended to 1990 and make the big four, because that was when Sampras broke through. That the four winningest players of all time are compressed in three decades is an amazing fact.
For me, I will of course continue to watch the sport. But I think that the best tennis of my life will be behind. I like Stefanos' game, Medvedev's attitude, and Sinner as a person. But they have yet to produce edge-of-your-seat tennis, at least to me. Of course they have produced great points, majestic strokes and good matches, but I just can't recall anything by them that even remotely comes close to Wimbledon 2008, Australia 2011, or even Rome 2006 (Roger/Rafa). In the end, I am sure that it will not be because of them that the sport will decline; to me, simply, tennis is not a sport for the new generations. It takes too long, it is complex, it has too many subtleties. Tennis is Symphonic Music at a time of reggaetón and twerking. It is just for a few of us.
Tennis is Mozart, Miles, Pink Floyd, Carmina Burana when those things are slowly fading away.

The days of an entire nation watching a combination of Roger/Rafa/Nole, or Sampras/Agassi at the USO may be over soon. This will be for us, the Cognoscenti.

by Suliso I still like tennis and do watch it regularly, but I'm not into it as strongly as I was in my twenties and early thirties. Not watching any sport as much as I used to to be fair.

by mick1303 I think TS asked a question about popularity contest rather than tennis qualities and accomplishments. If we forget about popularity, then next "Big 3" already separated themselves from the rest. They are of course Zverev, Medvedev and Tsitsipas. Each of them has masters titles, Grand Slam final appearances and YEC title. Nobody of other "Next Gen" has a list of accomplishments comparable to these three. Thiem is an interesting case. He could've lead this group, but unfortunately he became disinterested and permanently injured. Probably mentally burned from being so many times "oh so close". And then he finally got his slam, it killed all the motivation.

by ponchi101 Pros and cons of the next gen, to become a fave (my list, of course):
Medvedev: PROS. He seems to be a fun guy, he seems smart, has a good sense of humor. CONS. I really have a hard time thinking of a player that I consider has an uglier game than Medvedev. And I mean EVER. There have been ugly strokes in the game, but to me, Daniil's strokes are Dantesque.
Tsisipas: PROS. Gorgeous game, with a great forehand and a one handed backhand. The overall strokes are a beauty. CONS. Hard to find another player as silly as Stefanos. A mask of you wearing a mask, wearing a mask, ad infinitum? And the daddy relationship is a real turn off.
Zverev: PROS. Perhaps the sole two handed backhand that I consider beautiful. The power is great, and if you take away the frequent double faults, the serve is a great stroke. When he gets it in. CONS: The DB's are troublesome, too frequently involved in controversy, whines a bit too much a bit too frequently.
Sinner: PROS. Great personality, for those that like the quiet type. Great back court strokes, and still very young so who knows how much he can improve. CONS. Very uni-dimensional. Flat strokes from both sides all the time, reminding me of Cilic, Delpo and Berdych too much.
Muzetti. PROS. Another one handed BH, which is a beauty. But not much else. CONS. Man, that quitting at RG in the fifth is going to take a long time to be erased. You just never quit, Lorenzo.
Shapo. PROS. A good looking game, a one handed BH. CONS. When you whine about 6 figures paydays, it shows how entitled you are and how out of touch. And the rapping...
Felix: PROS. If you like power, he can be one of the guys. Seems honest and hard working. CONS. I really can't think of anything. Maybe his lack of variety?
Berrettini: PROS. Seems reasonable, he could bring more people as fans due to his good looks, is improving in everything. CONS. It is just me, but I don't like the strokes. Too much of a slapper, using just force and strength to get the job done. But, again, just me. If somebody were to say his strokes are beautiful, all I could say would be TOMATO-TOMATOE.

by atlpam What's your take on Rublev? Seems he's worth a mention in this list. His attitude/reactions at the Olympics made me a fan.

by ponchi101 True. I forgot about him. If I am putting all these, Andrei should make the list.
But, the answer is there. If I can't even remember to put him in a list of POTENTIAL faves, that seems pretty bad, no?

by skatingfan
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:06 pm True. I forgot about him. If I am putting all these, Andrei should make the list.
But, the answer is there. If I can't even remember to put him in a list of POTENTIAL faves, that seems pretty bad, no?
He's only just cracked the top 10 recently, and he hasn't had that breakout performance at a Grand Slam. Maybe the mixed doubles win is a source of inspiration.

by mick1303 It happens with eastern-euro players (they are getting overlooked sometimes, even though if basing on merit, they shouldn't be). It happened with Davydenko, until it wasn't impossible to ignore the player's accomplishments. Rublev reached GS quarters on 4 occasions at 3 different slams. Out of Felix, Musetti, Sinner nobody is even close to this.
Another player, who has better credentials than Felix/Musetti/Sinner is Hubert Hurkacz with his SF at Wimbledon and Miami title. Coincidentally - also eastern-euro.

by ponchi101 True. Hurkacz has been playing good tennis these last six months, but I gather that is where the problem resides (to me). His breakthrough is recent, and I really would have been hard pressed to say anything about him around January.
---0---
And since we are in this topic. With yesterday announcements by Roger and Rafa, can we say that the era is over? Are we really POST BIG THREE already? I say: yes. It was great, but time to pass that page. It is Nole against the young ones.

by mick1303
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:06 pm True. Hurkacz has been playing good tennis these last six months, but I gather that is where the problem resides (to me). His breakthrough is recent, and I really would have been hard pressed to say anything about him around January.
---0---
And since we are in this topic. With yesterday announcements by Roger and Rafa, can we say that the era is over? Are we really POST BIG THREE already? I say: yes. It was great, but time to pass that page. It is Nole against the young ones.
What did Rafa announce?

by ti-amie
mick1303 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:41 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:06 pm True. Hurkacz has been playing good tennis these last six months, but I gather that is where the problem resides (to me). His breakthrough is recent, and I really would have been hard pressed to say anything about him around January.
---0---
What did Rafa announce?
It looks as if Rafa's foot injury is congenital, bones in his foot didn't develop properly, and that the problem can't be ignored anymore. It's looking as if he may have to have reconstructive surgery on his foot. The condition has a name but I can't remember it right now.

by 3mlm
mick1303 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:41 pm
What did Rafa announce?
ti-amie wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:27 pm
It looks as if Rafa's foot injury is congenital, bones in his foot didn't develop properly, and that the problem can't be ignored anymore. It's looking as if he may have to have reconstructive surgery on his foot. The condition has a name but I can't remember it right now.
Mueller-weiss disease

by 3mlm Back in November 2007, Tony Nadal was quoted in Diario de Mallorcaas:

“Rafael’s been affected by an injury to his foot since 2005. He has to learn how to live with it and so far he has managed for two years,” Toni Nadal said in the interview.

It’s very serious. I don’t know [if it’s career-threatening]. I’ll let the doctor reply to that. He has to take a lot of precautions when he plays.”

Nadal was first diagnosed with Mueller-Weiss disease in 2007. It's a congenital condition where a particular foot bone fails to develop properly. It's hard to diagnose and most people aren't diagnosed with it until they're in their 40s, which may account for the two years it took his doctors to diagnose it. Nadal was only 21 when they made the diagnosis.

by ti-amie Didn't they do something to his shoes at one point to make it easier for him?

by ponchi101 He wears custom made insoles, that I know.

by mick1303 Interesting riddle. What 3 players other than big 3 have the most wins against Big 3 in Grand Slams? Who has the most? I'm wondering if someone will answer without looking up - just based on memory. I myself was not able to answer correctly on both accounts))

by the Moz
mick1303 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:51 am Interesting riddle. What 3 players other than big 3 have the most wins against Big 3 in Grand Slams? Who has the most? I'm wondering if someone will answer without looking up - just based on memory. I myself was not able to answer correctly on both accounts))
Hewitt Nalbandian Murray?

by ponchi101 Without looking up, I would only change Moz' list by subbing Nalbandian with Stan.
But whomever they are, the numbers must be slim.

by mick1303 I was thinking Murray, Stan and Del Potro. And thought that Murray was in the lead, influenced by the notion of "Big 4". But when I looked it up - turned out that the trio is Wawrinka, Murray and Berdych. And Stan has the most wins - 6, while Murray and Berdych - 5 each.

by the Moz Good on Stan & Andy to have something to show for their tremendous efforts against the Big3 at Slams. Berdych, not so much.

by ponchi101 Time to add two more possible players that may become faves:
Alcaraz. PROS: The FH is a beauty, the movement superb. Obviously dedicated to the craft and following very carefully a plan for gradual improvement. And the off court and on court attitudes are pleasant; no signs of anything going too much to his head. CONS: I can't root for somebody that still has juvenile acne. I just can't; makes me feel too antediluvian. (translation: can't think of anything).
Ruud. PROS: as opposed to Alcaraz, it is the BH that is gorgeous. Solid striker, quiet on court, obviously has been working hard on his game. CONS: uhm... nothing come to mind. Please, somebody, find out something I can whine about.

by 3mlm
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:57 pm Time to add two more possible players that may become faves:
Alcaraz. PROS: The FH is a beauty, the movement superb. Obviously dedicated to the craft and following very carefully a plan for gradual improvement. And the off court and on court attitudes are pleasant; no signs of anything going too much to his head. CONS: I can't root for somebody that still has juvenile acne. I just can't; makes me feel too antediluvian. (translation: can't think of anything).
Ruud. PROS: as opposed to Alcaraz, it is the BH that is gorgeous. Solid striker, quiet on court, obviously has been working hard on his game. CONS: uhm... nothing come to mind. Please, somebody, find out something I can whine about.
Agree with everything you said about Alcaraz. He's one of several players that make me think, "You need a better dermatologist!"

The only Ruud CON I can think of is that I can't seem to recognize him on sight. Maybe as I see him play more often.

by ti-amie Well puberty isn't quite finished with Carlos no? If he keeps up his level of play in another couple of years he'll have the best skin in tennis.

by ponchi101 This basically settles it for me. Carlitos is my new player to root for.

by Cuckoo4Coco Carlos Alcaraz, Jannik Sinner, Brandon Nakashima

by ti-amie I think Carlitos loss this weekend was good. Yes he's very good but he has the potential to be better if he continues to work on his game and not think there's no room for improvement.

by ponchi101 We also have to keep gauging our expectations. He will win Slams. He will be a top three.
The next super player? We have to wait and see.

by ti-amie Fritz has been very quietly going to Europe for a few years now and playing tournaments most US players avoid like the plague. It's why I respect what he's accomplishing now and why I think he's headed for big things, the first US player in a long time.

I'm still waiting to be convinced about Sinner. I know he's got his stans here but I want to see what he does during the US summer hardcourt season, Canada, and of course NYC in August.

by Cuckoo4Coco Carlos is the front runner here and I do believe he will be a constant top 3 player in the near future. It is crazy to think he is just 19 years old and has much to improve on. He will get his slams under his belt very soon. I think he will be the next French Open superstar.

Taylor could have a breakthrough at this USO. He convinced me he is ready at Wimbledon.

Sinner is almost there as well and just needs to finish. I do think he has what it takes to get it done.

FAA is another guy who I think has the tools to reach a new level as well.

by ashkor87 The WTA stars of tomorrow? Look no further than Osaka, Swiatek, Rybakina - all young people. On the ATP, I wonder why not Medvedev, he is clearly the best of the lot, defending champion at the USO, just not great in clay, that is all ...after him, Alcaraz, Sinner and maybe Musetti...I don't see anyone else with that kind of potential . ..Ruud may achieve a Ferrer-like level, no more...

A couple years down the road, Raducanu and Leylah will get there...Coco, I think, will at most be a Wozniacki..Kostyuk is someone to keep an eye on in the long run...

by dryrunguy I'm probably nuts. But, while I firmly believe Carlitos will enjoy a lot of success at Roland Garros, I have a feeling the US Open will be his most successful major (more so than Melbourne, and I'm not quite sure why I say that). I'm not ruling out Wimbledon yet, either.

Maybe I'm overestimating the Miami win. I just think fast surfaces are closer to his bread and butter.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:25 am The WTA stars of tomorrow? Look no further than Osaka, Swiatek, Rybakina - all young people. On the ATP, I wonder why not Medvedev, he is clearly the best of the lot, defending champion at the USO, just not great in clay, that is all ...after him, Alcaraz, Sinner and maybe Musetti...I don't see anyone else with that kind of potential . ..Ruud may achieve a Ferrer-like level, no more...

A couple years down the road, Raducanu and Leylah will get there...Coco, I think, will at most be a Wozniacki..Kostyuk is someone to keep an eye on in the long run...
Musetti seems to have some really sweet ground strokes to his game. He just has to put it all together. I think he has a lot of potential.

by Deuce I'm afraid that Musetti will be Hicham Arazi 2.0 - loads of natural, magical talent, capable of hitting any shot from anywhere on the court - but weak in the head. He possesses the natural physical ability to be a regular member of the Top 5... but he'll remain in the 25 to 40 ranked range for his career because of his psychological weaknesses.
Fritz won't spend much time within the top 10. He'll float between 10 and 20. He lacks a 'killer instinct', and that is a huge weakness at the pro level.
Sinner is still a 'wait and see' for me. He's had flashes of brilliance, but has been very inconsistent - one week looking like a top 10 player, and the next week looking like a #45 ranked player.
Alcaraz is for real. Will be a regular member of the Top 5, at least.

Leylah will have a solid, stable top 20 career, with some brief forays into the top 10 from time to time.
Same with Gauff.
Raducanu will settle around the 25 to 40 area - certainly respectable, but falling well short of post-U.S. Open expectations.
Kostyuk's progress has stalled, it seems.
Tauson had success in Juniors, but is still a complete unknown at the WTA level.
Osaka's tennis career is entirely dependent on her emotional/psychological state, which is fragile. If she can establish a stable emotional/psychological foundation, she'll be a consistent Top 5 player.
Swiatek will remain in the top 10 for pretty much her entire career - but not always in the top 5.
Rybakina is, to me, similar to Sinner - I need to see more. Like Sinner, she is inconsistent - can play like a top 5 player one week, and like a #45 ranked player the next week.

by Cuckoo4Coco With Coco Gauff, I truly believe in the next few years as she works on solidifying her ground strokes and consistency she will be in the top 5. She is going to have one of the best serves in the women's game as well.

Osaka, I agree if she gets her emotional part back she can get back to the top.

Swiatek will stay at the top.

Rybakina , I think because her serve will be tough to handle by any women's player will be in the top 10.

Not sure about Tauson yet.

Leylah and Emma, I think both of them can float as high as 15 to the 25 range.

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:25 am The WTA stars of tomorrow? Look no further than Osaka, Swiatek, Rybakina - all young people. On the ATP, I wonder why not Medvedev, he is clearly the best of the lot, defending champion at the USO, just not great in clay, that is all ...after him, Alcaraz, Sinner and maybe Musetti...I don't see anyone else with that kind of potential . ..Ruud may achieve a Ferrer-like level, no more...

When Liamvalid started the topic, his question was WHO WOULD YOU ROOT FOR, not necessarily who would be the top players. And it was mainly ATP, as it was sort of WHO WILL REPLACE THE BIG 3. As the WTA is way ahead of that curve, it was more along the lines.
Of course, you are correct, Medvedev will be very much in the conversation. But, for me, he has the most horrendous strokes I have ever seen, so I just can't see him as a fave (for me).
Remember, it was not WHO WILL BE THE NEXT GREAT ONE, but rather WHO WILL YOU BE ROOTING FOR.

by ashkor87 Medvedev..feel sorry for him..should have won the ausopen...

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:22 pm

When Liamvalid started the topic, his question was WHO WOULD YOU ROOT FOR, not necessarily who would be the top players. And it was mainly ATP, as it was sort of WHO WILL REPLACE THE BIG 3. As the WTA is way ahead of that curve, it was more along the lines.
Of course, you are correct, Medvedev will be very much in the conversation. But, for me, he has the most horrendous strokes I have ever seen, so I just can't see him as a fave (for me).
Remember, it was not WHO WILL BE THE NEXT GREAT ONE, but rather WHO WILL YOU BE ROOTING FOR.
Who will I root for and who do I root for even now is Frances Tiafoe. He is a fellow Marylander and seems like a very nice guy.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:22 pm When Liamvalid started the topic, his question was WHO WOULD YOU ROOT FOR, not necessarily who would be the top players. And it was mainly ATP, as it was sort of WHO WILL REPLACE THE BIG 3. As the WTA is way ahead of that curve, it was more along the lines.
Tsitispas, Kecmanovic, Shapo and FAA. I like Medvedev a lot and he's a fun character to have around. Love Tiafoe, for sure, but I stop short of hoping for great things. I'l root for him in big matches. I'm not sure I'll root for anyone like I did Federer, Guga, Rafter, Ivanisevic.... affections are up for grabs. Might go to a doubles player.

I don't have Alcaraz fever at all. Starting to like Fritz, but I doubt I'll be a big fan. Of course, I like Botic but I don't know if he'll stay in the mix long enough to root for.

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:23 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:22 pm When Liamvalid started the topic, his question was WHO WOULD YOU ROOT FOR, not necessarily who would be the top players. And it was mainly ATP, as it was sort of WHO WILL REPLACE THE BIG 3. As the WTA is way ahead of that curve, it was more along the lines.
Tsitispas, Kecmanovic, Shapo and FAA. I like Medvedev a lot and he's a fun character to have around. Love Tiafoe, for sure, but I stop short of hoping for great things. I'l root for him in big matches. I'm not sure I'll root for anyone like I did Federer, Guga, Rafter, Ivanisevic.... affections are up for grabs. Might go to a doubles player.

I don't have Alcaraz fever at all. Starting to like Fritz, but I doubt I'll be a big fan. Of course, I like Botic but I don't know if he'll stay in the mix long enough to root for.
But Botic is your man. ;) You have to cheer for him till he retires. Same with me with Ben Shelton. I don't know how far he will go and if he will be in the top tier of players, but he is sure nice to look at when he plays. :lol:

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:47 pm

But Botic is your man. ;) You have to cheer for him till he retires. Same with me with Ben Shelton. I don't know how far he will go and if he will be in the top tier of players, but he is sure nice to look at when he plays. :lol:
Ah-ha. I just remembered what it's like to be 16. :) I was a big Philippoussis fan for one reason only.

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:19 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:47 pm

Ah-ha. I just remembered what it's like to be 16. :) I was a big Philippoussis fan for one reason only.
Ben Shelton is 19 and has rock hard abs and such a cute adorable face. I would rally with him any time. ;)

by Improbabledream
Liamvalid wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:16 pm Just wondered what people think their enjoyment will be of the ATP once the big 3 retire/wind down/fizzle out. I’ve never really been into the ATP that much, other than watching Henman’s rollercoaster matches at Wimbledon as a kid, I’ve only ever actively supported Nadal (and I kind of loved Wawrinka in his later career). There’s always talk of peoples interest waning after the Big 3 go, but I’m really excited for the future. I really like Medvedev and his kooky ways. Also love watching Fokina, Ruud, Tiafoe, Berrettini, Felix, Norrie, Khachanov, Rublev, Sinner. Only player I really can’t watch is Zverev. I’m on the cusp with Tsitsipas, I desperately want to like him but his antics sometimes put me off. I think in 2 or 3 years time I will prefer the ATP over the WTA for the very first time
I WISH i was excited by the future of tennis the gods are retiring to mount olympus and we must muddle around in bland mediocrity, with a new guy winning every time, until we wake up and realize this is the way it was before, and this is the way sports are. This has been a crazy era.