Olympics Random, Random

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Curling, Marbula 1 and any other activity that we can think of!
JazzNU United States of America

Re: Sports Random, Random

Post by JazzNU »

Watching the Olympic Trials for Swimming. Hadn't thought about the fact that the additional year would change enough that some who were almost locks to make the team may not become Olympians now. Rowdy just said he's almost certain the #1 & #2 qualifiers in the 100m butterfly wouldn't have made the team had the Olympics been held last year as planned, just a bit too young (18 & 16) and not developed enough to compete at this level. And now, the winner just set a new American record. What a difference a year makes.

Makes sense, just hadn't considered it. And honestly, in so many disciplines in swimming, making the US team means a high likelihood of walking away as not just an Olympian, but an Olympic medalist. Gonna be more broken hearts than usual out of these Olympic Trials.
Deuce Canada

Re: Sports Random, Random

Post by Deuce »

I'm thinking about kids, for whom these athletes are role models.
And so anything that their favourite athletes market (or, as in this case, appear to market) will influence the young ones.

Also, I just don't like the commercialization of sports in general. It's not like sports needs that much more money - most pro athletes have been grossly overpaid for years - compare their salaries to what teachers, or even doctors, make - and the latter two contribute significantly more positives to society than athletes typically do.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion."
~ Henry Thoreau
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Olympics Random, Random

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

Reposting here, posted originally in Sports Random, Random last night -

Another realization about the Olympics from watching the Olympic Trials that I knew of in a general sense, but think about the specifics.

We knew that there weren't going to be international travelers, it was only this week that I've realized this means that all the parents, grandparents, brothers, and sisters that sacrificed and have spent just about every day helping their kid/grandkid/sister/brother get to this Olympic dream will be at home in their native country watching them on TV, and that these Trials are their last chance to experience and celebrate this long journey together in person. No loud personal cheering section for most athletes, probably not many sparkly cardboard signs in the stands, few tears in the stands and even fewer winning athletes finding their families and getting hugs and kisses.

Post by JazzNU »

We'll be getting more announcements about skipping the Olympics like the one from Dominic. In case you missed it, in a bit of stunner I think, reigning NBA MVP Nikola Jokic will not be playing for Serbia at Olympics this year.
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

The title of this thread perfectly characterizes Tokyo2020.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
patrick United States of America

Post by patrick »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:48 pm We'll be getting more announcements about skipping the Olympics like the one from Dominic. In case you missed it, in a bit of stunner I think, reigning NBA MVP Nikola Jokic will not be playing for Serbia at Olympics this year.
Short NBA seasons were one of his reasons if not the main one

Post by JazzNU »

Good lord, NBC trying to rehab Ryan Lochte's image to try to make him a featured athlete if he makes this Olympics is just painful to watch
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Yup SI had a huge article on him a couple issues ago also. They are desperate for him to be a "face" of the Olympics.
:steven:

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This young women reincarnating FloJo...

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

She doesn't need all that make up and stuff. She seems pretty enough.
(Or is it THE MAKE UP? You know I can't tell)
My god, it's full of stars!

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:32 pm She doesn't need all that make up and stuff. She seems pretty enough.
(Or is it THE MAKE UP? You know I can't tell)
Who is the woman long jumper who wore a lot of makeup but not the wild color wig from Colombia? Ira.. or something?

Post by JazzNU »

I love the straight speed races, but hurdles don't get enough attention. Running just 2 second slower than the dash, but scaling hurdles across the same stretch. I wonder if it's that not that many have tried to scale a hurdle, that ish is HARD. Most couldn't get their first foot over a single hurdle let alone clearing many hurdles at a fast pace.

Post by JazzNU »

She ran a fantastic race. Didn't look like she was going to make it (in the 400 at least), but she closed in the last 50 and grabbed 2nd place.

Post by JazzNU »

In case you missed this earlier, completely possible given the way NBC botched the airing of the swimming trials tonight.