JazzNU United States of America

Re: Tournament & Tour Announcements

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Joint Statement by the International Governing Bodies of Tennis

The international governing bodies of tennis stand united in condemnation of Russia’s actions

A deep sense of distress, shock and sadness has been felt across the entire tennis community following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in the past week. Our thoughts are with the people of Ukraine, and we commend the many tennis players who have spoken out and taken action against this unacceptable act of aggression. We echo their calls for the violence to end and peace to return.

The safety of the tennis community is our most immediate collective priority. The focus of the WTA and ATP in particular in recent days has been on contacting current and former players, and other members of the tennis community from Ukraine and neighbouring countries, to check on their safety and offer any assistance.

The international governing bodies of tennis stand united in our condemnation of Russia’s actions and, as a result, are in agreement with the following decisions and actions:

The WTA and ATP Boards have made the decision to suspend the WTA / ATP combined event, scheduled this October in Moscow.
The ITF Board has made the decision to suspend the Russian Tennis Federation and Belarus Tennis Federation membership and to withdraw their entries from all ITF international team competition until further notice. This action follows the cancellation of all ITF tournaments in Russia and Belarus indefinitely.

At this time, players from Russia and Belarus will continue to be allowed to compete in international tennis events on Tour and at the Grand Slams. However, they will not compete under the name or flag of Russia or Belarus until further notice.

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/joint-s ... march-2022
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Deciding set tiebreaker now at all majors..ten point version.welcome move
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:13 am Deciding set tiebreaker now at all majors..ten point version.welcome move
We discussed this in Tennis Random, Random... I like it, too, although honestly I don't care what they do. Only 3% of matches go to a final-set tiebreak. :)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:39 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:13 am Deciding set tiebreaker now at all majors..ten point version.welcome move
We discussed this in Tennis Random, Random... I like it, too, although honestly I don't care what they do. Only 3% of matches go to a final-set tiebreak. :)
You looked up the stat, or are you joking? That would be interesting to know.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:51 am
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:39 pm
You looked up the stat, or are you joking? That would be interesting to know.
It's real. There was a discussion on Twitter. I calculated the % at the AO this year, and someone else had the numbers from the 2021 Slams combined. It was the same.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Thanks. That is very interesting. I gather it brings attention because almost by definition, if you get to a fifth set TB, it has been a great match.

Post by meganfernandez »

Welllllll.... :) Not necessarily the whole match - it could have been servebots, sloppy and aggravating missed opportunities, one-dimensional tennis. But in the TB, the stakes are high and it's usually exciting to see who will narrowly win and narrowly lose. Example - Anderson vs Vesely last year at the US Open. I had to cover it. Nearly put me to sleep, but the fifth-set breaker was great fun. There was urgency and they (at least Anderson) played like it.
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:30 pm Thanks. That is very interesting. I gather it brings attention because almost by definition, if you get to a fifth set TB, it has been a great match.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I did say almost ;) . Anderson/Isner at W was torture, Isner/Mahut must have been a long sentence in hell

Tournament & Tour Announcements

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:I did say almost ;) . Anderson/Isner at W was torture, Isner/Mahut must have been a long sentence in hell
Anderson/Isner certainly springs to mind. But I think there are only a few that are really good. Most are average. Just longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

So... Sky is counting on Emma (or another Brit) doing well at the U.S. Open for years to come.
Hmm...
Ok, then - good luck with that...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Impossible to be a tennis fan in the USA and catch any important matches.
Gee, I never thought I would be thankful that I have Clerc...
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

One option would be to declare Wimbledon an exhibition event this year..no points etc...boycott would be going too far...but ATP and WTA need to show they are relevant..