Wimbl-exo-n?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Re: Tournament & Tour Announcements

Post by Deuce »

Wimble-DUMB...

Wimble-DONE.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I hear the WTA at least is meeting soon to contemplate such an action...good for them
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

There is some speculation that W's biggest concern is- how will it look to have Princess Kate hand out the trophy to Medvedev? I would think there is a simple answer to that- have Prince Charles do it, noone lies him anyway...or why not Prince Andrew?
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote:There is some speculation that W's biggest concern is- how will it look to have Princess Kate hand out the trophy to Medvedev? I would think there is a simple answer to that- have Prince Charles do it, noone lies him anyway...or why not Prince Andrew?
Yeah surely that isn’t the obstacle. So easy to avoid. You’re literally the ruler - just don’t do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote:One option would be to declare Wimbledon an exhibition event this year..no points etc...boycott would be going too far...but ATP and WTA need to show they are relevant..
This is going too far. Punishes all the other players who do well, which is exactly the opposite of the goal - don’t punish players for things they can’t control. Just let any banned players keep their points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

True ..but can tournaments be allowed to make up rules as they like? They have commitments too..
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Not Wimbledon. Let's not forget that in the end, it is a club. The most important tournament in the world is run by a club. The ATP, WTA, ITF or even the LTA have no say in what they do.
The sole people that could do something would be the players through, as you said, a boycott. "Keep politics out of this and let the Russians and Belarusians play, or nobody does". It would be the 1973 scenario, with the difference that Wimbledon is even bigger now and they can't hold a tournament with replacement players. Other than that, shut up, eat your lousy strawberries and cream and watch us do as we please.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I agree. In an unjust circumstance like this, it's time for the other players to show some principles and courage and say 'If they don't play, we don't play.'
And if players don't play, there is no tournament.

It's fine for players to come out in public and say that it's not fair to ban Russian and Belarusian players... but that's just TALK. If they truly believe that it's unfair, they need to stand up and DO something about it; they need to show their belief through action.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

WTA releases updated 2022 tournament calendar

ST PETERSBURG, Fla. -- The WTA on Monday announced an updated tournament calendar for the 2022 season, outlining a fall schedule that includes a combination of established WTA tournaments and new events for 2022.

“The 2022 WTA fall calendar will provide a robust amount of job opportunities for players in a regional calendar flow that will take us through to the end of the season. I am extremely grateful to all of our tournament organizers for their support of women’s tennis and their commitment to staging world class Hologic WTA Tour events,” said Steve Simon, WTA Chairman & CEO.

Updates to the 2022 Hologic WTA Tour calendar include:

• Week 30 (July 25) – WTA 250 BNP Paribas Poland Open relocates from Gdynia to Warsaw, Poland
  • Week 37 (September 12) – WTA 250 Japan Women’s Open in Osaka, Japan
  • Week 38 (September 19) – WTA 500 Toray PPO Tennis in Tokyo, Japan and WTA 250 Hana Bank Korea Open in Seoul, South Korea
  • Week 39 (September 26) – WTA 250 Tallinn Open in Tallinn, Estonia
  • Week 40 (October 3) – WTA 500 J&T Banka Ostrava Open in Ostrava, Czech Republic and WTA 250 Jasmin Open Tunisia in Monastir, Tunisia
  • Week 41 (October 10) – WTA 500 San Diego Open in San Diego, California and WTA 250 Transylvania Open in Cluj-Napoca, Romania
  • Week 42 (October 17) – WTA 1000 Guadalajara Open Akron in Guadalajara, Mexico

The fall schedule will also include 12 WTA 125 events throughout Europe and North and South America, bringing the total number of 125 events to at least 24 this season.

Further updates to this calendar are expected and will be provided in due course, including the location of the WTA Finals, set to take place the week of Oct. 31.

https://www.wtatennis.com/news/2619965/ ... t-calendar
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I never understood the WTA decision to downgrade Tokyo. Japan is a big tennis country.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

They downgraded to a 500? I can't recall if it was a 1,000 before.
Plus, it is not as if Japan lacks resources. Or as if they don't have a super star nowadays.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:59 pm They downgraded to a 500? I can't recall if it was a 1,000 before.
Plus, it is not as if Japan lacks resources. Or as if they don't have a super star nowadays.
I think it was but I could be wrong. I think it was downgraded when Allaster was all in on China.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Yes, Tokyo was once a higher level premier tournament, either Premier 5 or Premiere M. I would guess the change in level for it was about sponsorships and what level prize money they were willing to support, not about general support in Japan or from the tennis federation there. They aren't usually the ones fronting the prize money and costs to host the tournaments.

I'm thrilled that Guadalajara is getting the chance to host a 1000 tournament. They did a great job with the WTA Finals, which to me, was by far the best energy and engagement we've had at the WTA Finals in many years.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:28 pm Yes, Tokyo was once a higher level premier tournament, either Premier 5 or Premiere M. I would guess the change in level for it was about sponsorships and what level prize money they were willing to support, not about general support in Japan or from the tennis federation there. They aren't usually the ones fronting the prize money and costs to host the tournaments.

I'm thrilled that Guadalajara is getting the chance to host a 1000 tournament. They did a great job with the WTA Finals, which to me, was by far the best energy and engagement we've had at the WTA Finals in many years.
So am I.