Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ashkor87 India

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by ashkor87 »

Anyone know what the Fort Worth courts are like? I used to live in the DFW area a lifetime ago, never heard of any courts there..? Big stadium for tennis, I mean...
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ashkor87 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:11 am Anyone know what the Fort Worth courts are like? I used to live in the DFW area a lifetime ago, never heard of any courts there..? Big stadium for tennis, I mean...
I'm not sure that this arena has ever hosted tennis before - it was only built about 15 years ago.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The person who started this thread deleted their account. I've tried to reconstruct it below.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Thanks for the reminder about why I don't use twitter (or other 'social media').
The adolescent level arguments, the juvenile spelling...
No thanks.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The first tweet is missing. Can't make out the entire idea without it.
But the two last tweets are fairly... dumb?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:20 pm The first tweet is missing. Can't make out the entire idea without it.
But the two last tweets are fairly... dumb?
Nothing makes sense without the first two Tweets. I hate when that happens. Let me see if someone screenshot it.

It looks like the entire account was deleted.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Okay this is the tweet that started the mess. Someone commented that women players have to work so much harder to get such recognition comparing what Iga has achieved with what Carlitos has achieved. Then came the comment about Djokovic not playing two Slams. I think "smithy" misunderstood what was being said.

The comments about Barty and Iga came after those comments.

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

It's only very mildly comical when someone who makes 5 spelling errors in one sentence tells someone else that they 'sound stupid'.
Especially when those spelling errors are mostly deliberate.

The only question is: Has 'social media' made people significantly more stupid, or has it merely revealed people's innate and significant stupidity?
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Interesting comment by Federer when he was asked about Alcaraz...'the best movers are the best players'....
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Well, that's what Sampras said about Roger. When asked about Roger's strokes, and why he was so good because of them, he said: "That's not it. It is not the strokes, it's his movement".
(Paraphrase).
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I have never seen anyone move as well as Alcaraz..maybe Laver in his prime..
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Deuce wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:45 pm It's only very mildly comical when someone who makes 5 spelling errors in one sentence tells someone else that they 'sound stupid'.
Especially when those spelling errors are mostly deliberate.

The only question is: Has 'social media' made people significantly more stupid, or has it merely revealed people's innate and significant stupidity?
I won't comment on the latter, however I will point out one of my favorite retorts.

Bomani Jones (typically on ESPN in the states) receives a fair amount of vitriol when he expresses an opinion.
He oft "claps back" by simply writing "too*" because nearly every time the author of said tweet uses the incorrect form of to/too
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:27 am
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:23 pm Pegula's family is worth Billions but she has stated that she received no financial help from them. She is making it on her own.

This is hilarious. She might be living off her own money, but it's a lie of epic proportion to say she doesn't get any financial help from her family. I mean, I don't know the going rate for using your father's NFL and NHL teams fitness and physio teams to get to your level of success after struggling mightily with your pro career and staying healthy, but I'm thinking it's a figure north of a million. Also, not something even most rich people can replicate so damn near priceless. I have said this many times on here but people like this Fracking Princess too much to listen. It ain't about David Witt.

I heard a podcast with Andy Roddick about this topic (in general not about Pegula specifically). He (as always) had some poignant thoughts on it. Here were a couple:

- coming from means takes some of the "worry" and allows for focus. There are plenty of examples of relatively indigent players making it, but the means provides ancillary support that gives a larger safety net. But he pushed back on the notion that should be discredited if coming from significant means.
- ultimately it's the "fight" of the player, regardless of means. He or she has to be singularly focused to push through, like the pain, deal with the solitude, etc.
- he also opined further on how many with means get burned out because they are pushed so hard by the parent and it has to be innate self-drive. They have to want it as well.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Amanda@RowdyBug Replying to @josemorgado
So Moutet is in green and Andreev in white?

Heidiction @heidiction
Replying to
@RowdyBug and @josemorgado
Yes
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Because he has turned out to be a low-ranked player, Moutet has fallen off the radar of "Bad Boys". But he has had several instances in which his conduct on court is less than palatable.