Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
mmmm8

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by mmmm8 »

As a Russian, I have no problem with Kostyuk expressing her frustrations through the only platform she has. I don't know her mind and I don't know if she is mad at the actual players or is just making a point.

While I'd be sad if a Ukrainian I knew would stop talking to me or get angry with me because of the war, I'd understand. Even if the Russian players or their families spoke out and were persecuted, they'd still be better off than many people in her country that were killed, maimed, or lost loved ones.

It is not uncommon to carry frustrations in moments like this - and beyond. My dad still refuses to consider German cars because of the Holocaust.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

mmmm8 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:46 pm As a Russian, I have no problem with Kostyuk expressing her frustrations through the only platform she has. I don't know her mind and I don't know if she is mad at the actual players or is just making a point.

While I'd be sad if a Ukrainian I knew would stop talking to me or get angry with me because of the war, I'd understand. Even if the Russian players or their families spoke out and were persecuted, they'd still be better off than many people in her country that were killed, maimed, or lost loved ones.

It is not uncommon to carry frustrations in moments like this - and beyond. My dad still refuses to consider German cars because of the Holocaust.
Thanks for this.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Sorry to detour from this serious conversation, and steer to the frivolous side.
Carlitos' shoes:
Screenshot_20230309-124436.png
Head, heart and ... I guess I would have to ban myself for a few hours, at least ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:51 pm Sorry to detour from this serious conversation, and steer to the frivolous side.
Carlitos' shoes:

Head, heart and ... I guess I would have to ban myself for a few hours, at least ;)
It's even funnier if you read this with a Thpanish accthent

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:51 pm Sorry to detour from this serious conversation, and steer to the frivolous side.
Carlitos' shoes:

:lol:

Kid's got 'em
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:54 pm Kostyuk, in my opinion, knows exactly why fellow players can't say anything publicly re their feelings on the invasion. Azarenka regularly visits family in Belarus. I'm pretty sure many of the Russian players have family there. And yet she persists making loud, public statements and denigrating her peers.

Deuce has a point. No other Ukrainian player has made the public fuss Kostyuk has. Dolgo, no longer an active player, is very vocal on social media but he hasn't attacked any active, or inactive players publicly.
Sabalenka's little sister is still in Minsk, she adores her. Looks like she was able to see her in Dubai, and I think that's the first time she's been with her since the war began, certainly the first she's posted with her and she used to post all the damn time with her, it seemed to be the reason she went home so often along with the boyfriend. Azarenka's situation/ties are much greater, and therefore worse, in Belarus now because of her (successful) legal strategy in her child custody case. She has visited far more in the last 5 years than she did the 10 years before that because of it. She was darn near a permanent US resident prior to her custody case. Her brother and cousins at the very least are there and yeah, she has to tread lightly especially with her favorable court ruling.

I feel like Kostyuk can do what she wants. I just think her lack of self awareness has led to her not realizing that the tides have turned against her for many tennis fans. Not against Ukraine mind you, just against Marta and her approach to all of this. The not shaking a hand is just whatever to most from what I've seen. If that was it, I think people wouldn't be out on her so much. It's the rest.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I don't think that we have disagreed that the Russian players cannot really speak out AGAINST the regime, or they will never be able to go to a building which is two stories high. We know how clumsy Russians are when they are in a balcony on a sixth floor.
And Belarusians are in an even mode evil dictatorship.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Refusing to acknowledge or respect your fellow competitors, and constantly calling for them to not be permitted to play on the tour (akin to demanding that someone be fired from their job) is a long, long way from refusing to buy German cars.

As I said, as well as bringing the war to the tennis courts, Kostyuk makes the disrespect personal because she is damning individuals.
It's therefore no different than any other type of discrimination/prejudice.

Ponchi asked 'what more can she do?'
She could be civil and humane and choose to be a pillar for peace, and work toward that - especially with her Russian/Belarusian peers who play absolutely no part in the invasion/war, rather than choosing the erroneous path of insisting on bringing more and more negativity to a situation that's already negative.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Wimbledon has lifted the ban on Russian and Belarusian players for 23..,glad to see that...
Scoob Canada

Post by Scoob »

Moved the post to the serious tennis thread.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

At least three more in-match retirements today...

We are seeing several in-tournament withdrawals and in-match retirements at every tournament - for the men and the women alike... we're seeing players not shaking hands with their opponents at the conclusion of the match...

Is the overall sportsmanship and respect in our sport in trouble?
Or is this a reflection of the growing selfishness, disrespect, and apathy in general society?
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Deuce wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:47 am Is the overall sportsmanship and respect in our sport in trouble?
Or is this a reflection of the growing selfishness, disrespect, and apathy in general society?
Withdrawals have become, casual.
Society has gotten a lot more cut-throat and technology is the cause/catalyst for the decline in socialization.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

^ I agree.
R.I.P. Amal...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Deuce wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:47 am At least three more in-match retirements today...

We are seeing several in-tournament withdrawals and in-match retirements at every tournament - for the men and the women alike... we're seeing players not shaking hands with their opponents at the conclusion of the match...

Is the overall sportsmanship and respect in our sport in trouble?
I expected the level of courtesy and respect to drop but not this quickly. It makes me sad.
Scoob Canada

Post by Scoob »

There is definitely a lot of growing selfishness, disrespect, and apathy that we encounter everyday in everyday life, my hope is they can get it under control in the game of tennis and it doesn't get out of control.