Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Deuce wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:35 am But, again - you don't know what precipitated the Brooksby action when he beat Tiafoe.
Maybe it was him ridiculing Tiafoe's 'celebrations'.
Maybe Tiafoe did something bad or stupid to upset and/or disrespect Brooksby at some point before or during the match, and Brooksby 'retaliated' for that by mocking Tiafoe's 'celebration'.
Maybe Tiafoe stole Brooksby's lunch earlier in the day...

The fact is, without knowing WHY Brooksby did that, no-one should condemn his character - or even the action.
What I saw was people very eagerly condemning him and piling on, as if it's some sort of game. And I don't like that.

Knowledge is the most important ingredient in any assessment. Without knowledge of facts, any assessment - or judgement - is completely misplaced and unfair.
You could same the same thing about Nick's antics on court. You have no idea what is going on in his head to make him do or say what he does on the court, but everyone speculates with him and that seems perfectly fine. We could speculate that it is all sorts of scenarios. It still doesn't make it the right thing to do, disrespecting someone out on the court like that. If he wanted to do something like that then do it in the locker room. If both he and Frances had something between them don't show it out on the court.

There was a match just before the Brooksby one and after the match both players started arguing on the court about a call and it went on and on like something was not settled between the two players. That is the sort of thing that should not be on the court and should be taken back to the locker room. The same with Nick Kyrgios disrespecting Brandon Nakashima at Wimbledon. Cursing in the heat of the battle for making a bad shot or something like that is going to happen on the court, but disrespecting your opponent on the court should never happen and I don't care what you say how it happened or what made it happen it still happened and it shouldn't have and it made Brooksby look bad. That is all I am going to say about it.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:08 am
Deuce wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:35 am But, again - you don't know what precipitated the Brooksby action when he beat Tiafoe.
Maybe it was him ridiculing Tiafoe's 'celebrations'.
Maybe Tiafoe did something bad or stupid to upset and/or disrespect Brooksby at some point before or during the match, and Brooksby 'retaliated' for that by mocking Tiafoe's 'celebration'.
Maybe Tiafoe stole Brooksby's lunch earlier in the day...

The fact is, without knowing WHY Brooksby did that, no-one should condemn his character - or even the action.
What I saw was people very eagerly condemning him and piling on, as if it's some sort of game. And I don't like that.

Knowledge is the most important ingredient in any assessment. Without knowledge of facts, any assessment - or judgement - is completely misplaced and unfair.
You could same the same thing about Nick's antics on court. You have no idea what is going on in his head to make him do or say what he does on the court, but everyone speculates with him and that seems perfectly fine.
No - Kyrgios - as I've mentioned already and as is extremely obvious - has a long, long, long track record of vulgar, disrespectful, abusive behaviour. Brooksby does not.
It's beyond comparing apples to oranges.

I cannot possibly make the distinction any more clear than I already have several times.
Nor can I make more clear that the 'character assassination' of Brooksby, and the piling on, is grotesquely unfair in my opinion.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Deuce wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:32 am
I cannot possibly make the distinction any more clear than I already have several times.
Nor can I make more clear that the 'character assassination' of Brooksby, and the piling on, is grotesquely unfair in my opinion.
Let us know when he's hit your required threshold that we're allowed to say his bush league antics ... were bush league then :D What's the threshold for number of times you have to act like a jerk before we can call you one here. Looks like we're up to 3 so far? Is 5 the magic number? 10?
:steven:
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ptmcmahon wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:51 pm
Let us know when he's hit your required threshold that we're allowed to say his bush league antics ... were bush league then :D What's the threshold for number of times you have to act like a jerk before we can call you one here. Looks like we're up to 3 so far? Is 5 the magic number? 10?
When did I ever say that you're not allowed to say what you want?
Never.
You say what you want, and I say what I want. That's the nature of a discussion board, is it not?
I don't like what you're saying, so I say so - and I even make the effort to explain - painstakingly - exactly why I don't like it.
Then you tell me that you don't like me telling you that I don't agree with what you're saying.
Since when it is a discussion board rule that people must agree??

The utter hypocrisy in people lambasting - and piling on - Brooksby for one single action (which none of those criticizing know the origin of), and these same people preaching 'tolerance' and 'fairness' and 'non-judgementalism' is at once sad and comical.
R.I.P. Amal...

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Deuce wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:03 pm
ptmcmahon wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:51 pm
When did I ever say that you're not allowed to say what you want?
Never.
You say what you want, and I say what I want. That's the nature of a discussion board, is it not?
I don't like what you're saying, so I say so - and I even make the effort to explain - painstakingly - exactly why I don't like it.
Then you tell me that you don't like me telling you that I don't agree with what you're saying.
Since when it is a discussion board rule that people must agree??

The utter hypocrisy in people lambasting - and piling on - Brooksby for one single action (which none of those criticizing know the origin of), and these same people preaching 'tolerance' and 'fairness' and 'non-judgementalism' is at once sad and comical.
The bottom line and I think you still don't get my point at all with what I was saying is I am not criticizing the person Jenson Brooksby at all, because as you say I don't know Jenson Brooksby at all. I am criticizing the action/behavior/and blatant disrespect I saw him do at that moment on the court. That action or behavior is what was wrong. Yes, he did it. We all saw him do it. Does that make him a horrible person?(Probably not) It just shows that he did something that was very disrespectful on the court and I cannot dismiss something like that. I don't care what brought it on or whatever. It should not be something that is shown on the court. Unless there is a racist remark thrown his way or someone says something about his family then there should not be anything like this that happens. Before you say that could have been the case, think before your say anything because if that would be the case Brooksby would have mentioned that serious issue against him and there was nothing like that mentioned.

So you are correct, we can have whatever views we care to have on a forum and can express those views in any way if they follow the rules which we all have done in this debate which I find really awesome. So honestly, I don't have any problem with any of this I guess debate or whatever you want to call it.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Gulbis didn't actually break the racket, so this can't go in the Racket Smashing thread. The future Latvian Tennis Federation president, everyone. Stay for his commentary.

Last edited by meganfernandez on Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:19 pm Gulbis didn't actually break the racket, so this can't go in the Racket Smashing thread. The future Latvian Tennis Federation president, everyone. Stay for his commentary.

:o

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Going to rant a little more about the sleeveless shirt incident with Ben Shelton.

I keep watching the women play and they almost all have sleeveless tops and many of them are showing off their bellies as well. I don't get it.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:17 pm The bottom line and I think you still don't get my point at all with what I was saying is I am not criticizing the person Jenson Brooksby at all, because as you say I don't know Jenson Brooksby at all. I am criticizing the action/behavior/and blatant disrespect I saw him do at that moment on the court. That action or behavior is what was wrong. Yes, he did it. We all saw him do it. Does that make him a horrible person?(Probably not) It just shows that he did something that was very disrespectful on the court and I cannot dismiss something like that. I don't care what brought it on or whatever. It should not be something that is shown on the court. Unless there is a racist remark thrown his way or someone says something about his family then there should not be anything like this that happens. Before you say that could have been the case, think before your say anything because if that would be the case Brooksby would have mentioned that serious issue against him and there was nothing like that mentioned.
If you are calling his action 'disrespectful', you should definitely care what brought it on. And you should find out what brought it on before you form an opinion.
Because any opinion or assessment without knowledge of the facts that led to it is unfair.
R.I.P. Amal...

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:25 pm Going to rant a little more about the sleeveless shirt incident with Ben Shelton.

I keep watching the women play and they almost all have sleeveless tops and many of them are showing off their bellies as well. I don't get it.
I say:
ATP players should go full gladiator style: only a coat of oil should cover them.
WTA: transparent tunics.

And with that, I have to ban myself from this forum. See you people tomorrow! :gorgeous:
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:25 pm Going to rant a little more about the sleeveless shirt incident with Ben Shelton.

The ATP doesn't market their product through visual appeal (yet). The WTA likes to market tennis via visual appeal. I find that quite unfortunate. And stereotypical. Have you seen the 'photos/drawings' of the players that they produced? They are in full make-up, basically unrecognizable, swinging a racquet.
It's another case of women saying that they want to be recognized and appreciated and valued for their intellectual and emotional and even athletic abilities, but the default always seems to be to focus very primarily on their looks.
Many women criticize men for recognizing only a woman's looks, or 'sex appeal'... and then they themselves put the primary focus on their looks.

To me, this is the real 'sexism'.

I, myself, can recognize what is a good looking woman to me... but I don't like it when women deliberately draw attention to their appearance by showing more skin, or painting themselves up, etc.
I always value their intellectual/psychological/emotional (and athletic, if it applies) capacities more than I value their physical appearance.
Sometimes my friends will point out a good looking woman and say "She's beautiful, isn't she?" And I will always respond "I have no idea if she's beautiful, because I don't know what kind of person she is."
Beauty is not only skin deep - and the more we take the focus away from physical appearance, and place it more on personality and character, the better off we'll all be.
R.I.P. Amal...

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Deuce wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:31 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:17 pm The bottom line and I think you still don't get my point at all with what I was saying is I am not criticizing the person Jenson Brooksby at all, because as you say I don't know Jenson Brooksby at all. I am criticizing the action/behavior/and blatant disrespect I saw him do at that moment on the court. That action or behavior is what was wrong. Yes, he did it. We all saw him do it. Does that make him a horrible person?(Probably not) It just shows that he did something that was very disrespectful on the court and I cannot dismiss something like that. I don't care what brought it on or whatever. It should not be something that is shown on the court. Unless there is a racist remark thrown his way or someone says something about his family then there should not be anything like this that happens. Before you say that could have been the case, think before your say anything because if that would be the case Brooksby would have mentioned that serious issue against him and there was nothing like that mentioned.
If you are calling his action 'disrespectful', you should definitely care what brought it on. And you should find out what brought it on before you form an opinion.
Because any opinion or assessment without knowledge of the facts that led to it is unfair.
Maybe you are correct, but I could also end up on a long goose chase with no ending because there is no ending. These players are to come out on the court and play a game. Entertain the crowd without any of this on court crap that goes on. If they have issues with one another take care of that business elsewhere. Not on the tennis court. That is what Brooksby did that day, regardless of where it came from. That is what Nick Kyrgios does pretty much every match regardless of where it came from and it is plain and simply wrong . Fabio Foglini also does the same crap and it is wrong.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:40 pm

I say:
ATP players should go full gladiator style: only a coat of oil should cover them.
WTA: transparent tunics.

And with that, I have to ban myself from this forum. See you people tomorrow! :gorgeous:
I am all for the ATP version, especially Ben Shelton. :P Hell, I will feed him grapes between the games as well. :lol:

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Deuce wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:54 pm

The ATP doesn't market their product through visual appeal (yet). The WTA likes to market tennis via visual appeal. I find that quite unfortunate. And stereotypical. Have you seen the 'photos/drawings' of the players that they produced? They are in full make-up, basically unrecognizable, swinging a racquet.
It's another case of women saying that they want to be recognized and appreciated and valued for their intellectual and emotional and even athletic abilities, but the default always seems to be to focus very primarily on their looks.
Many women criticize men for recognizing only a woman's looks, or 'sex appeal'... and then they themselves put the primary focus on their looks.

To me, this is the real 'sexism'.

I, myself, can recognize what is a good looking woman to me... but I don't like it when women deliberately draw attention to their appearance by showing more skin, or painting themselves up, etc.
I always value their intellectual/psychological/emotional (and athletic, if it applies) capacities more than I value their physical appearance.
Sometimes my friends will point out a good looking woman and say "She's beautiful, isn't she?" And I will always respond "I have no idea if she's beautiful, because I don't know what kind of person she is."
Beauty is not only skin deep - and the more we take the focus away from physical appearance, and place it more on personality and character, the better off we'll all be.
1000% agree with you. I think a person should look at what is on the inside before they worry about what is on the outside. I am just still a kid and I don't really spend time on make up and hair unless I am going out to something important. Like the other day, I had the tournament Ice Breaker get together and I wanted to look nice for that so I did dress up nice for that and wore some make up and did my hair as much as I usually do it. My looks are what they are, if people or boys don't get into that then I don't care. I honestly would want to find a boy who wants to get to know me from who I am as a person and not what I look like.

I have seen a few Roger Federer and Rafa Ads where they are dressed up and looking nice, but not like the photos that I have seen of the ladies of the tour. I imagine the ladies get compensated well for those ads, but really it is not setting the best image for girls like me.