Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
skatingfan Canada

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by skatingfan »

Deuce wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:10 am The men's final has traditionally been the highlighted match of the Majors, and is thus played last.
But the women's final is sometimes the better, or more enjoyable/entertaining match.

As such, I propose that the Majors alternate which match is played as the last match - the 'grande finale' - of the tournament.
For example, in the first year of implementation, the Aussie Open and Wimbledon could have the women play the last match, and Roland Garros and the U.S. Open can have the men play last. Then the following year, they would switch it around so that it evens out.
Would that not cause a problem because some of the men would have to play back-to-back best of five?
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I'm thinking the full 2 week schedule would be adjusted accordingly...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Uh, what is this?

Apparently Anabel Medina and Carla Suarez talked about it during a Spanish language broadcast and shrugged his behavior off to being normal for Eastern Europeans?
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Those two dropped the gloves very fast.
Have there been any reports of Rybakina's coach being disrespectful? Nothing here in the forum; anywhere else?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Okay here is the first part of Tursunov's twitter thread.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

It seems Renne Stubbs and MJ(Fernandez) spoke about how Vukov treats Rybakina.
Did we post the picture of the tattoo he has on his arm here? I saw it somewhere...
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:51 pm It seems Renne Stubbs and MJ(Fernandez) spoke about how Vukov treats Rybakina.
Did we post the picture of the tattoo he has on his arm here? I saw it somewhere...
Yes, it was posted (and it was a bit creepy to me personally). But yes, Rennae and MJ definitely spoke during the match about how he spoke to her. Chris Fowler did as well. No one was impressed with it. I personally didn't see it, but I also didn't watch what I think the match was that maybe where he was most demonstrative.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Okay it seems that the way he talks to and treats Rybakina has been a topic of discussion in WTA circles for awhile.

Also Tursunov and Vukov are said to be good friends.

Post by JazzNU »

Re: Pam Shriver

I'm not surprised that she's saying these things. She spoke last year about her relationship with her coach and got a lot of support for it. Since that time, she's kind of, to me, gotten a little freer going off book and sharing her thoughts in terms of what she does and does not think is appropriate in a coaching relationship and she's been projecting her experience on all of them.

People's response to her comments have emboldened her. If she's not going to get in trouble for basically calling someone a predator with no actual knowledge of the situation on-air, then this is downright tame in comparison in my eyes.

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:41 pm Those two dropped the gloves very fast.
Have there been any reports of Rybakina's coach being disrespectful? Nothing here in the forum; anywhere else?
I'll be honest and say before this week I couldn't name her coach if I tried. He looks like a low budget Chela to me.

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:01 am
Also Tursunov and Vukov are said to be good friends.
Which makes sense. He's taking heat for giving that coach "sole" credit for Lena's success.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:41 pm Those two dropped the gloves very fast.
Yes, I did comment that she should fire him. His gestures and comments from the box during the match would demotivate any player...signalling that Rybakina doesn't know what she is doing etc. I thought he needs to realise it is not about him,she is the one playing.. at crucial moments he was negative, not supportive. Generally patronizing, I thought.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

My daughter agrees with Ashkor. She came by and I asked her if she'd heard about controversy surrounding Rybakina's coach and she said "I don't like the way he talks to her".
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I think this is likely a case of people simply repeating what they've 'heard'... Gossip is like that.

I doubt that Shriver knows very much at all about Rybakina or her coaching situation. It looks like she is judging simply on the surface of things - while at the same time wanting to see certain bad things, because that will get her (Shriver) more attention.

One of the worst things a person can do is to accuse another of something significantly bad - or accuse them of being a bad person - based purely on superficial speculation. That is extremely irresponsible, and is a terrible thing to do to a person.
If something appears to be wrong, or appears to be a bad situation, then, by all means, investigate further - absolutely. But DO NOT ACCUSE before you reach an accurate conclusion based on FACTS. DO NOT selfishly put your assumptions out there in public for 'the court of public opinion', because the court of public opinion is incredibly lazy, and all too often thrives on superficiality and sensationalism.

And trying to portray Tursunov as possessing a view of women as 'inferior' is just Shriver's defensive attempt to take advantage of the current 'anti-male' propaganda that is circulating everywhere. I wouldn't be surprised if Pam barely knows Tursunov at all.

It could well be that Rybakina's coach is a bad guy who is doing her harm. But I'm certainly not just going to take the word of some 'talking heads' about it - even if they are former players, they are very likely about as far removed from Rybakina's inner circle as possible.
Maybe someone should ask Rybakina?!?

Tursunov comes across too aggressively in this - but, honestly, he very likely knows Rybakina's situation better than the previously mentioned 'talking heads' (Shriver, Stubbs, M.J., etc.), as Tursunov has been a coach for WTA players for a while, and, for the most part, the various players 'teams' know each other quite well.
I, however, completely disagree with him about Rybakina's coach being "solely responsible" for her success. That's just plain stupid to even think, let alone claim publicly. Rybakina is far more responsible for her success than is anyone else.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Rybakina came to her coach's defense:
Elena Rybakina: Stop criticising my coach for shouting at me

It seems it is their dynamic.
Very slippery slope there.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem