Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by meganfernandez »

Deuce wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:38 am
ashkor87 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:26 am I always wonder why players sit down at changeovers..don't they cool off too much? In the old days (mid 70s ) players just strolled over to the other side and kept playing. I am not in this league but whenever I play a tournament, I never sit down..find it too hard to get going again....what is the experience of other folks here? Who play competitively at some level?
I assume that the act of sitting makes it easier for most players to relax/decompress/think without losing their focus.
Every once in a while, we see a player not sit down on changeovers. To each their own - whatever works for them.

When I play tournaments - which is rare these days - sometimes I sit, and sometimes I don't. Generally, I tend to sit when I feel I need to relax/decompress/think, and I don't sit when I'm I'm playing well and full of intensity and want to keep it at that level.
I force myself to sit, especially if I'm trailing. I need to relax and breathe. I also don't let my opponent rush me. If she's on the court and I still have time, I'm going to use it. (It's just a judgment, there's no clock.) I think for pros it's part of their routine. If it were advantageous to stand, they would. At that level, they know where every shred of an advantage is.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

I'm not sure what the point of that interview was from Carlos. It comes off as bitter and self-important to me.

Post by meganfernandez »

JazzNU wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:46 pm I'm not sure what the point of that interview was from Carlos. It comes off as bitter and self-important to me.
Especially the "no one listens to coaches anymore."
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:46 pm I'm not sure what the point of that interview was from Carlos. It comes off as bitter and self-important to me.
Best description of the man I've read.

The "no one listens to coaches any more" comment is a reminder of how Henin had to look to him after every point for what she should do next.

And yet there are those who are begging for him to come back and coach one of the up and comers.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

There is a current trend of tennis clothing makers making shirts with holes in the back. Some of the holes are symmetrical, others are not (Anisimova). They are all, in my opinion, bizarrely ugly (though likely practical to a degree).

For those of you who, like me, are not fans of the current trend of the holes, there is only one person to blame for this eyesore - Dominik Hrbaty.
I suppose we should be thankful that it took about 15 years for it to catch on. I just wish it had taken 50 years instead...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by meganfernandez »

Deuce wrote:There is a current trend of tennis clothing makers making shirts with holes in the back. Some of the holes are symmetrical, others are not (Anisimova). They are all, in my opinion, bizarrely ugly (though likely practical to a degree).

For those of you who, like me, are not fans of the current trend of the holes, there is only one person to blame for this eyesore - Dominik Hrbaty.
I suppose we should be thankful that it took about 15 years for it to catch on. I just wish it had taken 50 years instead...
Will never forget the Hrbaty. This year's RG Nike kit with the big holes and awkward one sleeve is very strange. I like some cutouts, but the big uneven holes in the back of Andreescu’s dress are awful. Don’t get it. Immediately reminded me of Hrbaty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by meganfernandez on Tue May 24, 2022 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Would we otherwise remember Hrbaty for anything? Probably not...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:39 pm Would we otherwise remember Hrbaty for anything? Probably not...
One of just a handful of players with a winning record against Federer, that is not 1-0
(But your point is correct. Ugliest shirt in history).
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by JazzNU »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:29 am
Will never forget the Hrbaty. This year's RG Nike kit with the big holes and awkward one sleeve is very strange. I like some cutouts, but the big uneven holes in the back of Andreescu’s dress are awful. Don’t get it. Immediately reminded me of Hrbaty.
You say strange and awkward, I say on trend. Cut-outs are very on trend right now, will sell well to younger players.

For anyone who doesn't like the Nike kit or think it looks odd, I'd say, make sure to see it on Paula Badosa. Looks fantastic on her.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

You can put a 50 gallon trash bag on Paola and it would still look fantastic on her ;)
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Just think France had Tsonga, Monfils, Simon and Gasquet who had been declared the anointed one, all active at the same time (I feel as if I've left someone out) and none of them won a Slam.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Further proof of how great a certain group was/is.

Post by JazzNU »

This is very nice. The entire farewell RG organized has been lovely. Amelie's influence perhaps?

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

My main memory of Tsonga was seeing him as a 17-18 year old Junior.
I remember him walking past me as a kid, and I thought to myself "That guy looks like an athlete".
I was impressed with him as a player, as well - along with his good friend (and Junior doubles partner, as well, I believe) Mathieu Montcourt, who died very young of a heart problem. At the Junior level, I thought Montcourt was the better player, but he never did much at the pro level, whereas Tsonga obviously did.

Every time one of these players I saw at the Junior level retires, I feel a little older - and a little sadder...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Wertheim reporting that players are "changing" their housing for Wimbledon - in an effort to save money (and be in and out quicker than they would be for a standard slam).