Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ashkor87 India

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by ashkor87 »

ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:12 pm https://www.wtatennis.com/news/3011886/ ... mpionships

The best female player ever from India...maybe best period.
She has been an inspiration to do many young women ..
Not only is she a Muslim woman, which is hard enough, but she is married to a Pakistani, that too, to the captain of the Pak cricket team! Challenge on top of challenge...she has handled them all so gracefully...
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Because most matches other than Grand Slams are not televised where I live, I have to rely on YouTube highlights..they are so misleading, they will keep showing winner after winner from one player when it is actually the other player who won..and they hardly ever show the critical turning points ..where someone comes back from 5-1 down, for instance.
Not surprisingly, the reason for all this is the highlights videos are mostly created by bots. Now AI is a wonderful thing, but bots clearly cannot know anything about tennis..they are programmed, apparently, to pick up the audience reaction, the noise in the stands, to determine which point to include.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:51 am ...
Not surprisingly, the reason for all this is the highlights videos are mostly created by bots. Now AI is a wonderful thing, but bots clearly cannot know anything about tennis..they are programmed, apparently, to pick up the audience reaction, the noise in the stands, to determine which point to include.
I would prefer regular, old fashion Natural Intelligence ;) . Having a tennis fan cut the highlights can't be that hard.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:22 am
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:51 am ...
I would prefer regular, old fashion Natural Intelligence ;) . Having a tennis fan cut the highlights can't be that hard.
Well, it would be expensive and not scalable...
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

So they will try again.
What are they offering that the ATP and WTA don't?
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Badosa has ONCE AGAIN quit a tournament without losing... she withdrew from this tournament before her semi-final match with Kasatkina in Adelaide.

Given the ridiculous frequency of Badosa's in-match retirements and in-tournament withdrawals, which shows a lack of respect for the sport and for the fans, it's time to give her what she obviously wants - time away from the courts...
It's time to suspend her for a few months.

The number of retirements/withdrawald from Badosa has been mentioned in this forum before.
I got the list below from a post in another tennis forum, which states that its source is 'tennis abstract'. It also states that the majority of Badosa's retirements occurred when she was behind in the match. The numbers are up to last May (2022). I assume they are correct (although Andreescu is conspicuously absent from the list)...

Career Retirements -

Badosa: 25
Muguruza: 15
Bencic: 12
Cornet: 10
Jabeur: 9
Ostapenko: 8
Collins: 8
Raducanu: 8
Sakkari: 7
Yastremska: 5
Kasatkina: 5
Kontaveit: 5
Barty: 4
Rybakina: 4
Pegula: 3
Pliskova: 1
Swiatek: 1
Sabalenka: 0
Fernandez: 0
Kostyuk: 0
Gauff: 0

And Badosa's WTA career has been shorter thus far than that of some of the other players on the list.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Whilst I don't condone quitting, and despite this year being a bit of an outlier on the ATP side with regard to strength of field, every year I remain befuddled as to why the WTA has a tournament of significance (this year a 500) the week before the Open. The ATP doesn't and more players (typically) rest.
If I was a player that had to make a chance to make a run in the Slam, I imagine my team would be encouraging me to watch my "exertion level" leading up to it.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

My count for Badosa's retirements is 27. And, she has even retired in qualies (in the past).
And I counted them manually.

Still, she is an outlier. So, maybe we are jumping the gun for ALL players. Perhaps no changes are needed; it's just her.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:15 pm My count for Badosa's retirements is 27. And, she has even retired in qualies (in the past).

Still, she is an outlier. So, maybe we are jumping the gun for ALL players. Perhaps no changes are needed; it's just her.
This post didn't age well. :twisted:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

dryrunguy wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:06 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:15 pm My count for Badosa's retirements is 27. And, she has even retired in qualies (in the past).

What else has happened? We know about Kudermetova (she retired also) but, anybody else?
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

I might be alone in this thinking but Badosa's retirement this time is better to me. After a tough match against Haddad Maia and playing three days in a row and then giving a walkover, not quitting mid match because she's losing feels like an improvement. She said she felt like she may have tweaked something and was hoping to be better in time for the AO, now that part may be a line, but it's at least more believable and a more customary decisions we see from plenty of players to not risk anything, they got in their playing time and are going to prep for the GS. So many of her retirements are a better version of a Yastremska move that this feels like a step in the right direction. One can only hope she's gotten word that she needs to knock that ish off.

Post by JazzNU »

Fastbackss wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:22 am Whilst I don't condone quitting, and despite this year being a bit of an outlier on the ATP side with regard to strength of field, every year I remain befuddled as to why the WTA has a tournament of significance (this year a 500) the week before the Open. The ATP doesn't and more players (typically) rest.
If I was a player that had to make a chance to make a run in the Slam, I imagine my team would be encouraging me to watch my "exertion level" leading up to it.
Australia loves tennis and doesn't limit that to men's tennis like many places do. They have tournaments and sponsors willing to host a Premier/500 level tournament and that's great. They've had some years where they have back to back weeks of Premier tournaments heading into the Aussie Open. There's a limited playing window because they are coming off the break.

Most times tennis journalists and fans do nothing but rag on the WTA for not being able to get a 500 tournament and laughing at the draws and now it's a bad thing that they are able to get more than one good tournament that can demand a decent draw? Yeah, it's right before a GS, but should they be demanding players make less money and tell them to make it a 250? No one is is forced to play here, if they want to skip and prep for AO, they can, and some do. For the rest, it's a great opportunity to start off their year.

I'm not saying I don't understand your point. But misogyny is real and the ATP can very likely get whatever 500 levels it wants in the next few months and not have to worry about what country the tournament is in and whether or not there are local sponsors there that see value in hosting that level.

Post by JazzNU »

Didn't see it mentioned in the places I expected, so assuming it hasn't been posted yet - Break Point, in the vein of Drive to Survive that helped with increasing the popularity of F1, premiered today on Netflix. What I've seen mentioned says Netflix and Netflix UK, so I'm not completely clear on Canada, but I saw Canadian tennis accounts Tweeting stuff about it, so I think it's out for you too? Report back if any of our Canadian members can confirm this for any that are interested in watching.

dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:09 pm
dryrunguy wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:06 pm

What else has happened? We know about Kudermetova (she retired also) but, anybody else?
Probably my bad. But given the timing, I assumed you were not yet aware of Kudermetova's withdrawl from the final. I may have missed some posts.