Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
Owendonovan United States of America

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by Owendonovan »

Suliso wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:48 pm If you don't get even a clothing deal as #2-#3 US player and a GS finalist something must be wrong with you on the personal level or you totally don't care. Is Pegula having any sponsorship deals?
I'm not sure Pegula needs or seeks sponsorship, her family is worth $billions.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Owendonovan wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:13 pm
Suliso wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:48 pm If you don't get even a clothing deal as #2-#3 US player and a GS finalist something must be wrong with you on the personal level or you totally don't care. Is Pegula having any sponsorship deals?
I'm not sure Pegula needs or seeks sponsorship, her family is worth $billions.
That's exactly the point I was making. In her case if she doesn't it means she's avoiding them for the reason you state. No personality issues I can see.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Pegula's family is worth Billions but she has stated that she received no financial help from them. She is making it on her own.
And she has the usual sponsors: Adidas, Yonex, something called Total 24 (have no idea) and her own company. With Collins, I can see that on court she may come up as super intense, but when you see her in her interviews, she seems very relaxed and nice. Ergo, a mystery to me.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:23 pm Pegula's family is worth Billions but she has stated that she received no financial help from them. She is making it on her own.
And she has the usual sponsors: Adidas, Yonex, something called Total 24 (have no idea) and her own company. With Collins, I can see that on court she may come up as super intense, but when you see her in her interviews, she seems very relaxed and nice. Ergo, a mystery to me.
Yeah, I don't think we can assume Collins is turning off sponsors with her personality. Plus, she has a lot of fans. I'm a fan and I'd pay attention to what she wears. It could be that she hasn't liked her offers so far - maybe she values herself more highly than the offers she's getting. Maybe it hasn't been a priority with all her health issues. I also wonder if she has an agent.

Post by Owendonovan »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:23 pm Pegula's family is worth Billions but she has stated that she received no financial help from them. She is making it on her own.
Coming from parents who are billionaires, Pegula likely got whatever she wanted/needed to become the player she is today. She makes her own money on tour, but she had advantages.

Post by meganfernandez »

Owendonovan wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:41 pm
Coming from parents who are billionaires, Pegula likely got whatever she wanted/needed to become the player she is today. She makes her own money on tour, but she had advantages.
Of course. There's no doubt she benefitted from coming from family money, having connections, etc. And the comfort of a safety net lets you make all the best decisions, free of financial pressure. Either they or the USTA had to support her while she was coming up and not making any prize money. Everyone needs help when they're climbing the WTA rankings. But I think she became a Top 10 player because she put in the work and has the talent. You don't need a billion dollars to enjoy the advantages of money. Plenty of less-rich rich kids have tried and few make it. Eventually you need the drive, work ethic, talent and a brain to make it all the way to the top in sports.

Luisa Stefani told me last year that she needed to stick to doubles because that's where she was making her money, and she wanted to alleviate the financial burden on her parents. She wanted to try singles, but that meant taking a big pay cut. She can get into big events playing doubles but not singles, so she has to choose. Let's say she just played the big events in doubles and spent the rest of the year playing ITF singles. It would be pretty hard to keep a top doubles partner. You'd have to bounce around a lot.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Lots of advantages for someone like Pegula, but also one notable disadvantage. How do you find motivation if you could live in luxury by doing nothing much? Father's money could buy lots of things, but not drive and motivation.

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:30 pm Lots of advantages for someone like Pegula, but also one notable disadvantage. How do you find motivation if you could live in luxury by doing nothing much? Father's money could buy lots of things, but not drive and motivation.
Very true. Some combination her nature, her discipline, and good parenting.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I would say that it takes away any pondering about her playing because of the money. Camila Giorgi she is not.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:30 pm Lots of advantages for someone like Pegula, but also one notable disadvantage. How do you find motivation if you could live in luxury by doing nothing much? Father's money could buy lots of things, but not drive and motivation.
This. It's why, while I'm not a stan, appreciate the way she has staked out a place for herself pretty much on her own desire to have her own. She could do like Emma Navarro and have daddy buy a tournament so she can get a WC into it and call herself a pro tennis player but she's out there in the hot sun grinding away and improving her game. I sure David Witt didn't come cheap either.

I also think her mother didn't have it easy coming up and it's possible she taught her daughter the wisdom of having her own.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by Owendonovan »

Grateful "Shape of the ball" is no longer used like it used to be.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Roddick did have a good point about something else recently...that servers should not be allowed to stop the motion and catch the ball when they have a bad toss..the toss is part of the serve, when you have started it, you have started it.

Post by Owendonovan »

ashkor87 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:10 am Roddick did have a good point about something else recently...that servers should not be allowed to stop the motion and catch the ball when they have a bad toss..the toss is part of the serve, when you have started it, you have started it.
Its a bit like a balk in baseball.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

I like the rule the way it is.