Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
Deuce Canada

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by Deuce »

ashkor87 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:55 pm I like Kyrgios but I can't stand his destroying his own rackets...the instruments of your game, your livelihood..how can you not respect them,? I was brought up to almost worship them, let alone respect them! Very disappointing..
You (or your parents) had to pay for your racquets, and your supply was likely limited.
Kyrgios gets paid to use his racquets, and has an unlimited supply of them.
That's a huge difference in perspective on an inanimate object.

Also, certain personalities need to release the frustration - and the racquet is the most convenient object with which to do that (especially when you have a free, unlimited supply of them). Using the racquet to release the frustration is practical in that it's already in your hands... it is also generally safe (much safer than punching something)...
So, really, I completely understand Kyrgios (and any other pro player) smashing their racquets. It provides a tremendous and very efficient release of frustration, and they have a free, unlimited supply.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

It is not about money...I can afford to buy a new racket every day if I want to, but I still put the racket down gently and carefully when I finish playing ..it is the value of respect for your tools..in our culture, we even have a day when we place flowers on the tools of our trade and pray..
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:23 pm Pegula's family is worth Billions but she has stated that she received no financial help from them. She is making it on her own.

This is hilarious. She might be living off her own money, but it's a lie of epic proportion to say she doesn't get any financial help from her family. I mean, I don't know the going rate for using your father's NFL and NHL teams fitness and physio teams to get to your level of success after struggling mightily with your pro career and staying healthy, but I'm thinking it's a figure north of a million. Also, not something even most rich people can replicate so damn near priceless. I have said this many times on here but people like this Fracking Princess too much to listen. It ain't about David Witt.

Post by JazzNU »

As for Danielle. If she doesn't have a clothing sponsor by January, you can assume that it is definitely by choice. She's now with IMG, they can secure her a clothing sponsor if she wants one with her results. She's signed with Waterdrop since she signed with IMG and has been displaying their name prominently since on her no-name kits. She's also done some stuff for Babolat since signing with them. So she's picking up sponsorships since signing with IMG, the lack of a clothing sponsor is going to be by choice at this point. But I'd wait til January to be more certain that she's not waiting to make a decision, that's the time when most of the clothing companies extend, offer, and end many of their contracts.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Why does the 25 second clock apply only to the server?
Or, perhaps the question is better phrased as 'Why does the server get 25 seconds to recover from a long point, but the same courtesy doesn't apply to the receiver?'

I think this 'Must play at the pace of the server' should be thrown in the garbage. It is a vague 'rule' at best, very inconsistently applied...
It should be 25 seconds between points, and either player can use that that entire 25 seconds. Because it's unfair otherwise.

(I actually think it should be 30 seconds between points, as the 25 second rule was brought in BEFORE the pandemic, and when the ball kids were taking the towels to the players... Now that the players must go to get their towels themselves in the far corners of the court, an extra 5 seconds should be granted.)
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:27 am
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:23 pm Pegula's family is worth Billions but she has stated that she received no financial help from them. She is making it on her own.

This is hilarious. She might be living off her own money, but it's a lie of epic proportion to say she doesn't get any financial help from her family. I mean, I don't know the going rate for using your father's NFL and NHL teams fitness and physio teams to get to your level of success after struggling mightily with your pro career and staying healthy, but I'm thinking it's a figure north of a million. Also, not something even most rich people can replicate so damn near priceless. I have said this many times on here but people like this Fracking Princess too much to listen. It ain't about David Witt.

Glad that my stupid opinions frequently result in you laughing.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:51 am
Opinion? Aren't you saying that's something she said or heard about her? I have no trouble believing she said it, I just know it's inaccurate.

She's like's to pretend way too often that her specific success can be had by anyone. She's shot herself in the foot in ways that make no sense because of it.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:16 am
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:51 am
Opinion? Aren't you saying that's something she said or heard about her? I have no trouble believing she said it, I just know it's inaccurate.

She's like's to pretend way too often that her specific success can be had by anyone. She's shot herself in the foot in ways that make no sense because of it.
I should have been more specific, and not type so fast. What she has said is that she DOES NOT RECEIVE any help from her parents. She is not flying on the corporate jet.
I have no idea how much they helped her growing up, but of course she had it all. But now, she is flying solo.

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:44 am
I should have been more specific, and not type so fast. What she has said is that she DOES NOT RECEIVE any help from her parents. She is not flying on the corporate jet.
I have no idea how much they helped her growing up, but of course she had it all. But now, she is flying solo.
That's my point, no she's not, not really. She's at the fitness level and past her history of repeated injury that held her back for years thanks to training with employees of her parent's teams. So not talking about advantages when she was growing up, which she definitely had, I'm talking about more recent.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Some type of visual indication of whether a shot is in or out needs to be established...
There are many times when, on a final shot close to the line, no-one knows what the call is - because the crowd noise drowns out the automatic audible call. With the automatic line calling system, there is no linesperson to extend his/her arm as a visual indicator.
In these cases, the crowd has no idea what the call is, the TV announcers have no idea what the call is, and the TV audience have no idea what the call is - until several seconds after the shot, when the score is adjusted. Even the players don't know what the call is under these conditions.

It would be easy to fix, I believe - just rig 'hawkeye live' up to the electronic boards behind each baseline, and have it flash something red (a red line, or red dot, etc.) when the shot is 'out', and green when the shot is in. Flash these colours on both electronic screens behind the baseline so that both players - and most of the crowd - can see it. TV viewers would also be able to see it.

To me, this is a 'no brainer', and needs to be done as soon as possible. Either that, or bring back the linespeople with their extended arms.
R.I.P. Amal...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Life comes at you fast.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

A bit early for that. There are enough good players out there to challenge him. Sinner came close to doing it, Zverev took him at RG.
It will be a bit more competitive.
I hope.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I'll just drop this here...

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

At the USO, it does seem so.
On the WTA, since Serena's last win (2014) there have been 8 new winners in the last 9 years (Naomi won 2).