Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ashkor87 India

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by ashkor87 »

an interesting thing about doubles is that the court, surface dont seem to matter much - maybe because the ball is in the air mostly..? or because nobody can actually overpower two players? so the game is about positioning, angles, volleys, returns..?
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:29 am
meganfernandez wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:54 am ...
Does everyone know my Simon story, or should i tell it again? Pretty sure I helped him break into the top 15. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Please, do tell. :)
Forgot about this. In 2008, Simon was the #2 seed at the Indy tournament, ranked No. 25, but hardly anyone recognized him. He would practice right by the main concourse and no one would watch. I didn't really know who he was, either, despite his seeding.

I was a media volunteer so I'd sit or stand courtside for the matches sometimes. During Simon's semi vs. Querrey, the crowd was overwhelmingly for Querrey, of course. It was super hot and muggy (July) and Querrey was fading badly in the third set, wilting in the heat (Simon, of course, was fine). But he found himself close at 3-4, love-40 on Simon's serve. Every point of that game, the crowd cheered louder and louder, trying to drag Querrey over the finish line: break here and serve it out.

Simon stepped up to serve at love-40 and had to wait for the crowd to quiet down. I was standing courtside right at his baseline. While he waited, he happend to glance over toward me, and I felt so bad for this guy, seemingly all alone in a city he's probably never been to, no one recognizing him all week. I was wearing a media credential, so I wasn't supposed to cheer, but I couldn't help it. I gave him a fist pump and mouthed "come on!"

He turned around and served an ace. Served another ace. Got it to deuce. Tussled at deuce-ad, deuce-ad, and finally won the game, the match, and the title. A few days later in Canada, he beat Federer on a run to the semis, then won a title in the fall, and then beat Nadal in the Madrid semi (when it was a hard-court tournament) in a third-set breaker. This year was Simon's breakthrough.

Does any of that happen if I don't fist-pump at love-40 in Indy to give him some support amid a hostile crowd? Would he have had the confidence to beat Roger, then Rafa, both ranked No. 1 at the time of those matches? :)

I regretted it years later when he spoke out against equal prize money.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Can you sit by my court side for my next match? ;)
Great story. And maybe, maybe, it was indeed a case of butterfly effect.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:32 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:29 am
meganfernandez wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:54 am ...
Does everyone know my Simon story, or should i tell it again? Pretty sure I helped him break into the top 15. :)

Please, do tell. :)
Forgot about this. In 2008, Simon was the #2 seed at the Indy tournament, ranked No. 25, but hardly anyone recognized him. He would practice right by the main concourse and no one would watch. I didn't really know who he was, either, despite his seeding.

I was a media volunteer so I'd sit or stand courtside for the matches sometimes. During Simon's semi vs. Querrey, the crowd was overwhelmingly for Querrey, of course. It was super hot and muggy (July) and Querrey was fading badly in the third set, wilting in the heat (Simon, of course, was fine). But he found himself close at 3-4, love-40 on Simon's serve. Every point of that game, the crowd cheered louder and louder, trying to drag Querrey over the finish line: break here and serve it out.

Simon stepped up to serve at love-40 and had to wait for the crowd to quiet down. I was standing courtside right at his baseline. While he waited, he happend to glance over toward me, and I felt so bad for this guy, seemingly all alone in a city he's probably never been to, no one recognizing him all week. I was wearing a media credential, so I wasn't supposed to cheer, but I couldn't help it. I gave him a fist pump and mouthed "come on!"

He turned around and served an ace. Served another ace. Got it to deuce. Tussled at deuce-ad, deuce-ad, and finally won the game, the match, and the title. A few days later in Canada, he beat Federer on a run to the semis, then won a title in the fall, and then beat Nadal in the Madrid semi (when it was a hard-court tournament) in a third-set breaker. This year was Simon's breakthrough.

Does any of that happen if I don't fist-pump at love-40 in Indy to give him some support amid a hostile crowd? Would he have had the confidence to beat Roger, then Rafa, both ranked No. 1 at the time of those matches? :)

I regretted it years later when he spoke out against equal prize money.
Lovely story!! Kindness to strangers!
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:Can you sit by my court side for my next match? ;)
Great story. And maybe, maybe, it was indeed a case of butterfly effect.
It doesn’t work for my own matches, so…. :)

JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

^^ Roger Federer/Tony Godsick Blueprint
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

She also says that the company may have one or two other players signed. I guess she is going the Boutique way.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

I've always found Simon to be chauvinistic and gross, and I will not miss him.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

JTContinental wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:16 pm I've always found Simon to be chauvinistic and gross, and I will not miss him.
Agree.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Megan - if Simon doesn't mention you in his post-career autobiography, sue him!
ti-amie wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:41 pm
^ Stanislas comes across as pretty neutral - kind of a 'vanilla' player. The only thing that really stands out about him is his nice one-handed backhand.
But he does seem to have a good rapport with fans... I saw him once at a pretty big tournament hitting with fans. It was at the end of a practice session, and he invited a few random fans to come onto the court to hit with him using one of his racquets. The fans would hop over the short fence one by one and hit with Stan for about 3 minutes each.
There was no interaction other than the hitting - and the fans saying 'Thanks' - it was just a nice gesture on Stan's part. It's rare that you see pro players do this with fans.

This was about 3 or 4 years ago when Stan was still in the top 20. And it wasn't at 7pm or something when the other practice courts are empty, and all the fans are watching matches on the main courts - this was middle of the day with a bunch of fans around the practice courts.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

There is a report in a British news agency that the ATP and WTA are considering withdrawing ranking points from Wimbledon..the decision is being left to the players' reps, led by Federer and Nadal in the ATP..
I would certainly support such a move. If a tournament, any tournament, bars players for no reason other than nationality, it should not be allowed to call itself an Open tournament. Indeed, I would go so far as to urge the tours to schedule other tournaments that week, make Wimbledon just an exho..what do folks here think?
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

ashkor87 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:18 am There is a report in a British news agency that the ATP and WTA are considering withdrawing ranking points from Wimbledon..the decision is being left to the players' reps, led by Federer and Nadal in the ATP..
I would certainly support such a move. If a tournament, any tournament, bars players for no reason other than nationality, it should not be allowed to call itself an Open tournament. Indeed, I would go so far as to urge the tours to schedule other tournaments that week, make Wimbledon just an exho..what do folks here think?
I’ll be amazed if anyone boycotts Wimbledon, ranking points or not. There’s too much money on the line (and history on the line for some of them). The other UK tournaments will suffer though. I still feel from what I’ve read that the ban has come from the Government rather than the tournament. Even though I’m against the ban myself, reading through online forums it does seem a lot of people agree with it and see it as another necessary sanction
Mary, queen of shots
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ashkor87 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:18 am There is a report in a British news agency that the ATP and WTA are considering withdrawing ranking points from Wimbledon..the decision is being left to the players' reps, led by Federer and Nadal in the ATP..
The dates wouldn't match. We are too close to be able to schedule new tournaments.
Actually, you are right that if some players cannot participate in a tournament, it should not be allowed to call itself OPEN. But Wimbledon is not an OPEN; it is almost a club tournament which invites players. So that move, again, would not work on the AELTC. All the other tournaments, yes.
I would say that the players have to make a decision and take a stand BEFORE RG starts. Either accept this decision (which would be lousy) or make it clear what they will do.