Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ptmcmahon Canada

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by ptmcmahon »

Deuce wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:03 pm
When did I ever say that you're not allowed to say what you want?
Never.
You say what you want, and I say what I want. That's the nature of a discussion board, is it not?
I don't like what you're saying, so I say so - and I even make the effort to explain - painstakingly - exactly why I don't like it.
Then you tell me that you don't like me telling you that I don't agree with what you're saying.
Since when it is a discussion board rule that people must agree??

The utter hypocrisy in people lambasting - and piling on - Brooksby for one single action (which none of those criticizing know the origin of), and these same people preaching 'tolerance' and 'fairness' and 'non-judgementalism' is at once sad and comical.
Telling other people we are all being utter hypocrits and are lambasting someone is not encouraging discussion. Like usual when discussing anything with you you have a firm opinion and you are going to repeatedly call us names like hypocrits if we don't agree with you. That's not discussion - that's resorting to name calling because we don't all agree with you. It makes most of us just not want to have any discussions with you - it's not worth our effort.
:steven:
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Just when you are about to say they ALL are spoiled brats...
Nah, the reality is that most of them are really good people. :clap: :clap: :clap: to Shang.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ptmcmahon wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:55 pm
Deuce wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:03 pm
When did I ever say that you're not allowed to say what you want?
Never.
You say what you want, and I say what I want. That's the nature of a discussion board, is it not?
I don't like what you're saying, so I say so - and I even make the effort to explain - painstakingly - exactly why I don't like it.
Then you tell me that you don't like me telling you that I don't agree with what you're saying.
Since when it is a discussion board rule that people must agree??

The utter hypocrisy in people lambasting - and piling on - Brooksby for one single action (which none of those criticizing know the origin of), and these same people preaching 'tolerance' and 'fairness' and 'non-judgementalism' is at once sad and comical.
Telling other people we are all being utter hypocrits and are lambasting someone is not encouraging discussion. Like usual when discussing anything with you you have a firm opinion and you are going to repeatedly call us names like hypocrits if we don't agree with you. That's not discussion - that's resorting to name calling because we don't all agree with you. It makes most of us just not want to have any discussions with you - it's not worth our effort.
If it's not a discussion, why do you keep returning with your opinions, which you seem to think are more valid than mine?
Not only that, but you've made repeated attempts to make me the subject of the discussion. Why? Why not stick to the topic at hand?
And, gee - I see even more hypocrisy from you in that you're criticizing me for being critical of your perspective on the Brooksby thing, and then you turn right around and criticize me very personally. Yeah - 100% hypocrisy right there.

I said that people were lambasting Brooksby because people were. That's not a criticism, it's simply a fact. And I didn't think it was fair, and I explained why (several times). And I called the hypocrisy of criticizing a person's character without A) knowing him, as this is the only thing the critics are judging him on, and B) not knowing what was behind his gesture... while at the same time, these critics are claiming to be 'tolerant', 'fair', 'non-judgemental' people, etc. Again - I'm not creating the hypocrisy here - it's there in plain sight for everyone to see. I'm simply pointing out what's there.

And I said very generally that people are lambasting Brooksby and being hypocritical. I didn't single any particular person out.
Yet you target me very specifically with your insults and criticisms... all while telling me I shouldn't criticize generally.
Ok - if you think I should criticize more personally like you, fine. You're a hypocrite.
There. Happy now?
:roll:
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

You’d already called us that though. I was quoting what you’d already said. So no, saying it again doesn’t make me happy ;)

Anyways like usual I know you’ll keep replying so I’ll just re-engage the ignore button and you can have your last reply and we’ll move on like usual.
:steven:
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Yes - but the personal hypocrisy claim wasn't for the Brooksby thing, it was for you telling me I'm too critical in my general statements, and then turning around and insulting and criticizing me personally. :D

I don't know why you have a problem with someone stating a position and defending it, PT...
I engaged with C4C, who is apparently 16 years old, and, though we didn't agree, we had a discussion, and neither of us seem to have had a problem with it...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Okay, I am gonna say this one time and that is it. Having a discussion is all cool and everything , but I do not like when name calling becomes involved in the conversation. I did not feel that was the case towards me and maybe that was left out towards me because of my age or maybe I was just too naive to notice it. Either way, it should never be a part of the conversation.

That said, I think we all have a different point of view on this and nothing we are going to say any more on here is going to change those views so it should probably just stop.

I don't like or have the right to tell anyone or adults what to do, so you both can do whatever you feel like doing, but from here on out I am out of it.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This should maybe go in the Equipment section but I didn't want to start a new thread there. If you feel that this could be there please move it.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

No need to hire a hitting partner when you've got children of your own!
Tatjana Maria and her daughters in Toronto (first one is cute; second one is funny)...

R.I.P. Amal...

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Deuce wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:47 am Andreescu gets by Kasatkina in a crazy and dramatic(!) 1st set that lasted almost 90 minutes and went to a tiebreak.
The set included the obligatory Medical Time Out for Andreescu, which included some pills taken, as well as having her blood pressure and heart rate measured.

But that's not all (of course)!

In the middle of the tiebreak (not at a change of sides), Andreescu seemed dazed and went over to sit on her chair. Tournament referee (and fellow Canadian) Tony Cho - whose wife is the chair umpire for this match - came out, along with two trainers... and she stayed sitting on her chair for a couple of minutes before resuming the tiebreak (and winning it).

But that's still not all (of course)...

After the tiebreak, Andreescu left the court - with her racquet bag - for a lengthy (7 minute) absence.
Now she's back.
It's anyone's guess what we're in for in the 2nd set...
Deuce wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:58 am No... actually Daria looked quite pissed off at the handshake and as she walked off the court - upset with Andreescu's ongoing drama, which occurs, in some fashion, in every match that she plays.
It'll be interesting to hear what Daria says in her press availability.

There was more drama and arrogance in the post match on-court interview, where Andreescu began with "I don't want to be dramatic, but..." un huh... but you ALWAYS make sure that you are!
After the interviewer mentioned Coco, her fashion accessory dog, at the end of the interview, Andreescu pointed at herself with both hands and said to the crowd "Eyes over here, ok, guys... I know that Coco is a fan favourite, but let's focus on me, ok?"
:vomit:

She's like the Djokovic of the women's tour. Remember how pretty much all the players disliked Djokovic at the beginning when he was constantly pulling the injury/sickness drama on court? Djokovic is not much more liked today by fellow players even though he stopped that drama - reputations tend to stick.
Similarly, I don't see Andreescu making many friends on the tour with her attitude.
Apparently, I wasn't the only person upset with Andreescu's overdone drama a couple of nights ago.
I don't think it was deliberate gamesmanship from her - I think she does this for the attention, not to help throw her opponent off. She is a very self-centered young woman, and she does things to make sure that she's the centre of attention.

Here is an article about the overdone drama she created a couple of nights ago (which I described in the 2 posts quoted above)...

'Drama Queen' Andreescu Tries to Defend Herself Against Her Critics...

R.I.P. Amal...

ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Well thanks to Zheng Qinwen we don't have to put up with her anymore.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:25 am Well thanks to Zheng Qinwen we don't have to put up with her anymore.
Zheng is an exciting player! Looking forward to watching more of her.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

She can quickly become a major star. No weaknesses, the game is there, she has the looks, and of course, she would have the backing of 1 BB people.
She will be a major favorite for the tournaments in China.
Wait...
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

After the first time I saw Qinwen play, I said that she has a good chance to be what everyone thought Sabalenka would be.
R.I.P. Amal...

Canucklehead Canada

Post by Canucklehead »

Zheng is a tall drink of water, serves very well and has solid ground strokes.