Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:23 pm Plus, it is a private club.
Dennis is truly entitled. Can't say more.
I'm with Dennis. I don't care that they are private. Ridiculously rigid and I cant find a way for this to pass any reasonable smell test.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Are they allowing the men to train there, prior to W?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:Are they allowing the men to train there, prior to W?
I assume so and that’s why this came up. Not sure if it’s limited to those who entered the tournament or not.

My guess is he is practicing there because he played the event. So he’s a guest of the club. And she wasn’t allowed to practice with him or on another court because she isn’t. I understand not letting nonmembers have courts over members, period. But if they wouldn’t let her on court with him or use an empty court… wtf.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Sorana Cirstea is a great example on how great a living you can make even on women's tour by just being steady for a long time. Two small titles, never been in the top 20, one GS QF, 32 years old and made 7 million $ from playing alone. No doubt also significant sponsor money for being pretty, but that's a different story.

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:23 pm Sorana Cirstea is a great example on how great a living you can make even on women's tour by just being steady for a long time. Two small titles, never been in the top 20, one GS QF, 32 years old and made 7 million $ from playing alone. No doubt also significant sponsor money for being pretty, but that's a different story.
True. "Steady for a long time" is the best most players can hope for. Vast majority never become champions. Who's an equivalent on the ATP? Chardy? One 250 title, one GS QF, high ranking #25, 35 years old and made $10 million. Fell out of the Top 50 a year ago.

I'm surprised Cirstea never broke into the Top 20. I actually remember when she first got some buzz. Heard about her in Wertheim's column and picked her early in an SP and she won. A decade later, I have learned that there are a million flavors of the month who never have even Cirstea's level of success. Wickmayer and Barthel stick out to me as ones who landed on my radar (mostly for SP reasons :)). You know, those players who got some hype and then a decade later you see them playing qualies and you're like, "Whatever happened to that person? And s/he's still around?"

I'm afraid Hyeon Chung is headed for that ending. Such a shame, he was so much fun to watch. Last guy to beat Novak in Melbourne.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Chung seems to be more like Robson or Bellis. Completely derailed by injuries.

Chardy is a good pick. I probably wouldn't have thought of him myself.

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:20 pm Chardy is a good pick. I probably wouldn't have thought of him myself.
I had to look up Chardy. I glanced at the list of active players with one or two titles.

Yeah, didn't mean to compare Chung to a Wickmayer or Barthel. Robson is a good comparison, showed that same level of potential. Chung is 26 - hope he isn't done.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Watching some of these women like Bencic and Jabeur, who have made the semis and finals of tournament after tournament, it seems clear that WTA tournaments are harder on them than majors..in the majors, they get a day off between matches...for the men, it is made up for by the fact that the majors are 5 sets..for the women, that isn't the case...
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Suddenly Poland is a superpower in tennis! There were always top women of Polish descent like Kerber, Lisicki and Wozniacki but now Swiatek and Hurkacz!
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

That always only goes back 15 years or so. Before there wasn't anything.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:23 pm Sorana Cirstea is a great example on how great a living you can make even on women's tour by just being steady for a long time. Two small titles, never been in the top 20, one GS QF, 32 years old and made 7 million $ from playing alone. No doubt also significant sponsor money for being pretty, but that's a different story.
I remember in TAT1.0 somebody posted a pictures of her in a convertible Bentley, driving in Monaco.
Yep, that must be a just reward. She has been with New Balance now for a long time. I gather that must he a $500K contract, because, as you say, she is pretty. Add racquets and another thing here and there, and she must be pulling in $1MM/year. I would guess
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:03 pm That always only goes back 15 years or so. Before there wasn't anything.
So weird because Poland is surrounded by tennis powerhouses. Wonder why they didn't produce as many top players. Because it's not a wealthy country, I assume?
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:06 pm
Suliso wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:03 pm That always only goes back 15 years or so. Before there wasn't anything.
So weird because Poland is surrounded by tennis powerhouses. Wonder why they didn't produce as many top players. Because it's not a wealthy country, I assume?
The cases of Woz and Lisicki suggest there may have been large-scale migration out of Poland, by people who could . I really don't know the recent history of Poland but maybe someone here does, and can enlighten us.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

"Raducanu's team will be mindful of all the savvy sponsorship deals and marketing campaigns she has astutely tapped into over the past eight months. They will no doubt bring her huge financial rewards, but at what cost to her body?"
- Judy Murray

Article here (written by Judy Murray)...

Judy Murray on Emma Raducanu...

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
3mlm United States of America

Post by 3mlm »

ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:25 am
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:06 pm
The cases of Woz and Lisicki suggest there may have been large-scale migration out of Poland, by people who could . I really don't know the recent history of Poland but maybe someone here does, and can enlighten us.
Radwanska was also a pretty good Polish player whose highest ranking was #2.

Wozniacki's parents moved from Poland to Denmark before she was born because her father signed with the Danish football club Boldklubben 1909.

Lisicki's parents moved from Poland to Germany in 1979 under a German law allowing people who descended from German nationals of any ethnicity to return to Germany and reclaim German citizenship. They were descended from German citizens who lived in the former eastern territories of Germany which had become part of Poland after World War II. Her mother is Polish and her father is German and Polish.