Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
Deuce Canada

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by Deuce »

^ A link to the source of that info would be nice to have...
The percentages are not consistent with my memory - but whether it's my memory or those stats which is inaccurate, I don't know.

What I would like to see are the in-match retirements and in-tournament withdrawals from about 1980 until now (for both men and women). As the article I linked to a few posts ago notes, we didn't see this number of retirements and withdrawals back a while ago.

And then there's this - from ONE TOURNAMENT this year - which certainly paints a picture either of a group of players who lack commitment, or of an extremely physically fragile group of players...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

This is a treat for those who followed tennis at this time... and even more of a treat for those who were not following tennis at this time (through fault of having not yet been born, perhaps).
It shows tennis back before it was all about power... before every player became allergic to the net... Back when players used variety and creativity on the court...

This is the best of the McEnroe vs. Connors battles from the U.S. Open over the years.
Pat Summerall and Tony Trabert are the commentators (with a little John Newcombe thrown in at times).
Wonderful stuff...

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

"SO messed up"

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And she did have other options.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Connors with a 62 sqin T-2000, Mac with a 68 sqin painted Jack Kramer.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Come on... Vandeweghe is not exactly the poster girl for good sportsmanship.
She is actually the poster girl for 'in your face tennis'!
She herself is more than capable of doing the same thing to an opponent - and quite likely has done so on occasion - and she would call it 'just normal tennis - what's the big deal?'
Or maybe she did something disrespectful previously in that match.
R.I.P. Amal...

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:50 pm And she did have other options.
I was only quoting Coco in case people couldn't hear what she said. She said "SO messed up" twice.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I always wonder why doubles isn't more popular ..most people play doubles, not singles..a good doubles match can be much more interesting tactically, not to mention faster-paced, than a singles match...singles can actually be boringly repetitive, the exact same thing happens point after point..I personally love to watch doubles...there really should be more money in it!

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:54 pm I always wonder why doubles isn't more popular ..most people play doubles, not singles..a good doubles match can be much more interesting tactically, not to mention faster-paced, than a singles match...singles can actually be boringly repetitive, the exact same thing happens point after point..I personally love to watch doubles...there really should be more money in it!
Yes, the big mystery. The best explanation I've heard is that doubles is too fast for the average fan, especially men's doubles. Now, with more singles players playing doubles (esp women), there are more rallies. I don't want to see a ton of dull crosscourt rallies, but a few shots before someone comes to net is a nice pace, mixed in. I love watching a great doubles match. Prefer women's to men's because men's is a lot of serve+volley, done. Hsieh and Strycova were a ton of fun to watch. Stosur is fun to watch.

Agree that a lot of singles matches are one-dimensional and not very exciting for the average fan.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Doubles simply gets no more money because of the market. People, right or wrong, don't watch it. I, for example, not only do not like to play doubles, I also am not very thrilled to watch it. It is fun, the points are sometimes superb, but it does not capture me.
And, unfortunately, as long as the top players no longer play doubles AT THE SLAMS, it will be a side dish. And with the men playing best of 5, it is impossible for them to also add doubles during two weeks, if they plan to go far.
This is a business, and a lot of decisions are made considering the bottom line.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:Doubles simply gets no more money because of the market. People, right or wrong, don't watch it. I, for example, not only do not like to play doubles, I also am not very thrilled to watch it. It is fun, the points are sometimes superb, but it does not capture me.
And, unfortunately, as long as the top players no longer play doubles AT THE SLAMS, it will be a side dish. And with the men playing best of 5, it is impossible for them to also add doubles during two weeks, if they plan to go far.
This is a business, and a lot of decisions are made considering the bottom line.
The convo was about why it’s not more popular with the fans who play dubs a lot. :)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Then, maybe because they play doubles because singles is too tough? It is still a puzzling question.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:Then, maybe because they play doubles because singles is too tough? It is still a puzzling question.
No, no… never mind. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:29 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:54 pm I always wonder why doubles isn't more popular ..most people play doubles, not singles..a good doubles match can be much more interesting tactically, not to mention faster-paced, than a singles match...singles can actually be boringly repetitive, the exact same thing happens point after point..I personally love to watch doubles...there really should be more money in it!
Yes, the big mystery. The best explanation I've heard is that doubles is too fast for the average fan, especially men's doubles. Now, with more singles players playing doubles (esp women), there are more rallies. I don't want to see a ton of dull crosscourt rallies, but a few shots before someone comes to net is a nice pace, mixed in. I love watching a great doubles match. Prefer women's to men's because men's is a lot of serve+volley, done. Hsieh and Strycova were a ton of fun to watch. Stosur is fun to watch.

Agree that a lot of singles matches are one-dimensional and not very exciting for the average fan.
I prefer women's doubles to men's also, I can relate to it, what the men play is beyond most of us mortals..
And tactically a lot more fun than men's .mixed doubles I am not so sure, they just tend to attack the woman..not so interesting tactically