Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
Deuce Canada

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by Deuce »

Dick Pound has always been a no-nonsense stand-up man of principle, and his record on various matters shows that (he's Canadian, after all :D ).
As such, he has always stood apart from his peers in the Olympic administration.
patrick wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:29 pm
Barty. Guess one USO title put you on the list and getting overhyped for it.

CSN for the courage but Vesnina had the best results on the court,

Jabeur for making history during the year. Kontaveit came on too late.

Tauson. Again, one USO title put you on the list.
To be fair to Emma, she also had a pretty good Wimbledon, coming out of nowhere.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

Barty Vesnina Jabeur Radacanu.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
patrick United States of America

Post by patrick »

Deuce wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:48 am Dick Pound has always been a no-nonsense stand-up man of principle, and his record on various matters shows that (he's Canadian, after all :D ).
As such, he has always stood apart from his peers in the Olympic administration.
patrick wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:29 pm
Barty. Guess one USO title put you on the list and getting overhyped for it.

CSN for the courage but Vesnina had the best results on the court,

Jabeur for making history during the year. Kontaveit came on too late.

Tauson. Again, one USO title put you on the list.
To be fair to Emma, she also had a pretty good Wimbledon, coming out of nowhere.

Still she is not player of the year worthy. What is her WTA record that is International event and above? No 125 or challenger event included.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

patrick wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:09 pm
Still she is not player of the year worthy. What is her WTA record that is International event and above? No 125 or challenger event included.
Player of the year??? We are talking about her as a newcomer of the year, aren't we?
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

There’s no way they can give the “player of the year” award to Raducanu just for her heroics at a tournament and a half, but I also think it would be a bit strange not to put a slam winner on the short list
Mary, queen of shots
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Right now, you tell a 15 yo: "You can have Emma Raducanu's career, or you can have Pavlyuchenkova's, Pliskova's, Demetieva's or Cornet's career".
We know what they would choose.
I know, it is not fair, but the sport revolves around the Slams. And Raducanu's is a club of one (sole person, male or female, to win a slam coming from the qualies. We know that too).
And yes, it is not player OTY. It is newcomer OTY that I am talking about.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Doubles Players who became great singles players...
Krejcikova is the latest example, are there others? Barty, perhaps! Can't think of a recent such transition/progression among the men...Bob Lutz in earlier times, perhaps...
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ashkor87 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:02 am Doubles Players who became great singles players...
Krejcikova is the latest example, are there others? Barty, perhaps! Can't think of a recent such transition/progression among the men...Bob Lutz in earlier times, perhaps...
Other players who I believe first established themselves as good doubles players, and then had success in singles...

Kevin Curren (with Steve Denton)
Anders Jarryd (with Stefan Edberg)
Peter McNamara (with Paul McNamee)

Pam Shriver? (with Martina Navratilova)

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

That's nice.
I hope she also watches tennis from past generations.
R.I.P. Amal...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

ashkor87 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:02 am Doubles Players who became great singles players...
Sam Stosur too?

Kevin
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

interesting thought... I think most players can't concentrate on both singles and dubs. A successful doubles player would have to sacrifice time (practice, recovery) to invest in their singles, and it's a risk. Most doubles players don't make enough money to take a hit to their income, if their doubles results slip while they are pursuing singles. Their partner might not be supportive, initially or eventually. It's easier for a successful singles player to translate that to doubles, if they can do well without putting in a lot of dedicated doubles practice. Like Azarenka, Sabalenka, Shapovalov, Swiatek - I don't know for a fact that they didn't practice doubles a lot, but I'd be surprised.

Luisa Stefani talked about this when I interviewed her at the Open. When she started out on tour, the results came faster in doubles. She wanted to make money so her parents didn't have to support her, so she went where the money/results were, even though she really wanted and intended play singles. Perhaps the goal is to save enough from doubles to eventually support a few years of not making much in singles but still afford a coach and a lot of traveling. But she is already 24, and she could be 26 or 27 before that ever happens. She may never find that opening. If she hadn't gotten hurt in the US Open semis, she might have won the title and qualified for the WTA finals. She lost a lot of money and a big opportunity when that happened.

It sure helps to come from a country that hosts tournaments so you can get a wild card and a shot at a chunk of points and prize money.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Very true...then we have Sabalenka, who has abandoned doubles to focus on singles...McEnroe never practised, said doubles was his practice..those days are gone, I guess..the game is so demanding now ..

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ashkor87 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:14 am Very true...then we have Sabalenka, who has abandoned doubles to focus on singles...McEnroe never practised, said doubles was his practice..those days are gone, I guess..the game is so demanding now ..
You're 100% correct. There are very few who show up with no abs or muscle tone on either tour.