Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
Deuce Canada

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by Deuce »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:04 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:05 pm Good for her to be open about it.
So, maybe for her, next Slam don't play the week before. Maybe that is the formula for her. For example, Samsonova did not have that problem yesterday.
Sure, everyone's different. For all we know Samsonova had similar issues but they didn't reveal themselves. It's probably not that easy to always not play before a Slam, especially in Daria's position, coming back from an injury. You need matches, wins, confidence, points... Does she forsake a small even where she thinks she could do well to spend a few more days prepping in NY, an environment she clearly doesn't love? It's give and take. And someone has to play the tour events the week before a Slam.

That isn't Saville's only issue - she doesn't play her best in the chaotic environment. Some people thrive in it, some don't. Each tournament's environment comes to bear on the results. I thought the part about having so many more people around - industry people, not fans, who are also supporters - creating more pressure was interesting. The whole dynamic at a Slam is different, and managing it is part of succeeding. Some people do it better than others. Probably takes some experience.

The point is that there are so many factors we are blind to.
I think the point is that Gavrilova/Saville is in control of who comes to support/bother her during Majors.
SHE is the one who decides whether to have an agent or not... SHE is the one who decides whether to accept the conditions of sponsors or not... or even whether to have sponsors at all.
So... to create conditions yourself and then complain that those conditions put too much pressure on you is rather weak in my view.

As well - the conditions at the U.S. Open and other Majors have probably remained more or less the same for a while now - things like the chaotic action/noise on the outer courts, only seeds being able to practice on certain courts, etc. And Gavrilova has been around long enough to know how things work. And so if SHE decided to play Granby the week before N.Y., she can't legitimately complain that she had no time to practice on the U.S. Open courts!
And, obviously the various elements and conditions are not going to please or be comfortable for everyone. Each player will like some things about Majors, and dislike other things about Majors - Gavrilova is no different from any other player in this.

Perhaps she should also mention that her sponsors are paying her a significant amount of money just to wear their clothes or use their racquet... that the players at the Majors are very spoiled by the services - all the food you can eat, workout rooms, massages, being driven to and from, etc., etc. - not to mention a very significant payout for playing, no matter how far you get in the tournament.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:40 pm I don't think so. You have to SELL a lot of gear, and then they keep you, regardless.
Correct. Bianca moves the needle for them and that's what matters.

Also, the way she went about this was obviously not good or professional, but similar complaints popped up with a different Nike dress either this year or last. They have different versions within the same style and as time goes on during a tournament, you may seem almost all of the players wearing nearly identical styles instead of the mix that was initially intended. This tends to be why, there's something uncomfortable about one of the designs and the players figure it out along the way. We usually hear about it as locker room gossip from one of the commentators on a match who is free to dish about it, but it does tend to get out in some manner, just usually not in this manner.

You definitely DO NOT need to keep a certain level of performance to stay with Nike. I'm so not going to get into yet another conversation where I have to defend him, but Nick has never once been close to losing his Nike sponsorship and that should tell you plenty.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

AND Nike just signed Sinner and Shelton.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Petkovic retiring...will miss her, she is one of the most thoughtful and insightful players out there..hope she continues to be associated with tennis in some way ..coach, commentator, whatever...I for one would always be interested in what she has to say..
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Interesting factoid - Badosa leads the tour in mastery of tie breaks..20 wins out of 22, that is 89%
I always think tiebreaks come down to mental strength, knowing your own strengths, not going for shots you don't have...good for Badosa! Djokovic and Nadal used to be leaders on the men's side, not sure about now..
And Zheng has just set a new record with 21 ace in a single match at the USO .
Interesting, i never thought of her as a big server
patrick United States of America

Post by patrick »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:13 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:40 pm I don't think so. You have to SELL a lot of gear, and then they keep you, regardless.

Also, the way she went about this was obviously not good or professional, but similar complaints popped up with a different Nike dress either this year or last. They have different versions within the same style and as time goes on during a tournament, you may seem almost all of the players wearing nearly identical styles instead of the mix that was initially intended. This tends to be why, there's something uncomfortable about one of the designs and the players figure it out along the way. We usually hear about it as locker room gossip from one of the commentators on a match who is free to dish about it, but it does tend to get out in some manner, just usually not in this manner.

You definitely DO NOT need to keep a certain level of performance to stay with Nike. I'm so not going to get into yet another conversation where I have to defend him, but Nick has never once been close to losing his Nike sponsorship and that should tell you plenty.
If I recall years ago, Serena got an earful from Nike due to her play (or lack thereof) while Nike was praising Sharapova to no end even when she was struggling on court or with injury.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

patrick wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:12 am
JazzNU wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:13 pm

If I recall years ago, Serena got an earful from Nike due to her play (or lack thereof) while Nike was praising Sharapova to no end even when she was struggling on court or with injury.
There was some talk late last year that Nike might drop Andreescu and that that was why she was suddenly back playing matches. Thanks for confirming that at one point Nike did expect a certain level of play from those who wore it's apparel.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Surprising no one I'm sure, Sam Querrey has announced his retirement from tennis after his first round loss.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

JTContinental wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:13 pm Surprising no one I'm sure, Sam Querrey has announced his retirement from tennis after his first round loss.
....Sam who? :?
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

nelslus wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:46 pm
JTContinental wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:13 pm Surprising no one I'm sure, Sam Querrey has announced his retirement from tennis after his first round loss.
Oh you mean the guy who once said he didn't care if he won or lost because he could always go home and drive his mother's Porsche? That guy?
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:41 pm
nelslus wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:46 pm
Oh you mean the guy who once said he didn't care if he won or lost because he could always go home and drive his mother's Porsche? That guy?
OH, Porsche. Now, Porche we all know. :gorgeous:
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Roger’s message to Serena. Crickets from Sharapova.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

If Sharapova does not send anything, she will be roasted for not sending anything. If she does, she will be roasted for being a hypocrite.
Can't win scenario.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Why would anyone expect Sharapova to send a congratulatory message to Serena?