National, Regional and Local News

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
Deuce Canada

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Post by Deuce »

No - looking at the underlying reasons that these people (largely young males) commit these crimes is hardly "an aspirin to treat a cancer" - it's actually addressing the root and foundation of the problem.
Take away their guns, and these people are still angry, hurt, isolated, lonely, disturbed people - and they will find other ways to act out - maybe bombings (anyone can learn how to build a bomb on the internet), or stabbings, or mowing people down in a car, etc.

Another part of the root of the problem is the influence that the sensationalistic news reports of these things have on these psychologically fragile people (and I feel that there are too many postings of these events in this forum).
Look at how many fools follow and imitate stupid, often dangerous 'viral' trends on TicTok or twitter, 'jackass', etc. Those don't usually involve killing people, but it is an obvious indication that people will be easily influenced even by things which are very obviously stupid, and often dangerous.
And so it's no stretch at all to believe that the emotionally troubled can be just as easily influenced by the media reports of these mass killings, having illusions of grandeur in the process.
Last edited by Deuce on Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I think what is amazing here is that there could've been a psych evaluation done at the very least. Again, legally, I don't know what goes in Illinois re this type of situation but in general I agree with you ponchi. There is so much room for abuse.

His comments are about 1m9s in
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Since in the USA it changes from state to state, who knows if in Illinois you can force a person that until recently was a minor to undergo a psychiatric evaluation.
Even the shooter at Uvalde was barely 18 until recently. Any restraining order or policy to be implemented could have been impossible under state law.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

While we are talking about permits for important stuff.
How about permits to HAVE AND RAISE A CHILD? This guy can be an excellent bullet point in that campaign.
(I know, I know, I know. They would have started with my mom and dad, but bear with me...)

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I dunno if a minor I was raising had amassed a collection of knives and other sharp edged weapons and then started screaming they were going to kill everyone, and I (or someone) took the outburst seriously enough to call the police and have them confiscate the weapons the very last thing I would do is say to myself "now that that's over let me sign for a permit that allows them to purchase a gun."

Am I missing something here?

Also we keep talking about the father but the mother has serious issues too.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

It just reaffirmed a common theme we've noticed in so many of these mass shootings. It's not that there were no warning signs. It's that either 1) No one was paying attention, or 2) Stupid idgits don't know what constitutes a warning sign.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Noise Vs Signal? If you have raised a child that has always been violent, when the signs reach this level by then you are numb to them.
Just saying. For outsiders, it would be obvious. For the idgits, these things were "that's just how he is".
(Not condoning these behaviors, just offering a possible explanation.)

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Non graphic

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

:slaptothefaceemoji:

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Something about that special place in hell comes to my mind.
For six SCOTUS justices.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

The bigger 'story' of the school shooting video being released is the despicable fact that it was published without the permission or consent of the families of the victims - and without them even seeing it beforehand.

Imagine turning on your TV or surfing the internet a few weeks after your child has been killed and seeing that video for the first time - seeing the killer walking the halls with the gun that killed your child... hearing the shots and the screams... Unimaginable.
And many of the families are extremely angry about this complete lack of respect.

That video has managed to weasel itself into pretty much every newscast in North America - with most of the newscasts also showing how angry the parents are that the video is being shown. But, of course, that didn't stop all these newscasts from showing it. Because it's 'sensational'.

As I've said an infinite number of times: The world would be a much better place if the media did not cover these mass killings. For many reasons.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower