National, Regional and Local News

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

I have no idea what the purpose of that line was in the story. In the Washington Post of all places. His dad got the gun at a Black Friday sale and the murderer posted that he got his new gun on social media. There's nothing to figure out. And I best not be hearing much about this murderer being bullied. And these angelic photos they are showing us of him are outrageous. The qualifiers the media is willing to give white people to downgrade their despicable actions is truly ridiculous. Murderer. Cold-Blooded Killer. Mass Shooter. Serial Killer. Choose from those because that's what that asshole is. And show the damn mugshot.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:13 am I have no idea what the purpose of that line was in the story. In the Washington Post of all places. His dad got the gun at a Black Friday sale and the murderer posted that he got his new gun on social media. There's nothing to figure out. And I best not be hearing much about this murderer being bullied. And these angelic photos they are showing us of him are outrageous. The qualifiers the media is willing to give white people to downgrade their despicable actions is truly ridiculous. Murderer. Cold-Blooded Killer. Mass Shooter. Serial Killer. Choose from those because that's what that asshole is. And show the damn mugshot.
I was wondering if the angelic, baby faced pictures. had started. No bullying claims yet?
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:15 am
I was wondering if the angelic, baby faced pictures. had started. No bullying claims yet?
I saw "bullied" in freaking headlines. And swear they've been flashing photos of what look to be him in elementary school including one of him with his hands in prayer position. He's a mass murderer and he's charged as an adult. Just stop.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:21 am
ti-amie wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:15 am
I saw "bullied" in freaking headlines. And swear they've been flashing photos of what look to be him in elementary school including one of him with his hands in prayer position. He's a mass murderer and he's charged as an adult. Just stop.
They won't.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I continue to wish that people wouldn't bring race into absolutely everything.

Sigh...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Deuce wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:10 am I continue to wish that people wouldn't bring race into absolutely everything.

Sigh...
You'll have to keep wishing, since unfortunately it impacts nearly everything, particularly in the United States. I"m not trying to start a theoretical discussion, I'm just letting you know that while, of course, you are entitled to an opinion and certainly to wishes, you nor I - as people who are not Black Americans - have a set of experiences, individual or collective, to fully grasp this.

I just finished So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo. I hightly recommend it to help understand why race is brought up so much. I do know you just essentially said you don't want to talk about race, so apologies. :)

(again, not looking for a discussion or argument, so no need to respond)
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

mmmm8 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:02 pm
Deuce wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:10 am I continue to wish that people wouldn't bring race into absolutely everything.

Sigh...
You'll have to keep wishing, since unfortunately it impacts nearly everything, particularly in the United States. I"m not trying to start a theoretical discussion, I'm just letting you know that while, of course, you are entitled to an opinion and certainly to wishes, you nor I - as people who are not Black Americans - have a set of experiences, individual or collective, to fully grasp this.

I just finished So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo. I hightly recommend it to help understand why race is brought up so much. I do know you just essentially said you don't want to talk about race, so apologies. :)

You can't reply (or post even an initial opinion) on a discussion board, and then say that you're not looking for a discussion - that's a cop-out.
Discussion is healthier than monologue.

As I've said many times before - bringing race into everything devalues the position. Dispensing accusations of racism left and right, forwards and backwards... It's like crying wolf. If the 'race card' is constantly played, the majority eventually ignore it. It is therefore best reserved for when it is clearly an issue, rather than desperately and forcibly trying to make it an issue at every turn.

Indeed, the USA has a far worse record for race relations than does Canada. But that doesn't mean I'm ignorant on the subject. Nor does the fact that I'm not black invalidate my perspective in any way - to believe so is, of course, a prejudice in itself.
I am an individual who, above all, believes in truth and fairness. I possess no bias for or against any race or nationality. Can that be said of some others here who perpetually bring up race?
If the kid in the most recent school shooting were black, would he have been lambasted for being black as he was in one post because he is white? Of course not.
Racism is wrong and harmful. So is 'reverse racism'. Two wrongs have never made a right.

Regardless of what the Michigan kid did, I hate to see demonic rants about teenagers, harshly criticizing and condemning every cell in their body. And doing it seemingly mostly because he's white is especially cruel (again - would that same vitriolic post, condemning the kid and calling him all sorts of nasty names, have been written had the kid been black? - I think the answer to that is very obvious, if we are to be honest).
This 15 year old kid is obviously very troubled. But does he deserve less of our compassion than he would deserve if he were black? Does he deserve less help because he's not black? My answer is an obvious and unequivocal 'No'. Black, White, Hispanic, Asian... - whatever - a troubled 15 year old kid is a troubled 15 year old kid. And they are all deserving of our compassion and help. Hell - the lack of love and compassion in his life is the very reason this tragedy occurred.
Should he be punished? Yes - absolutely. But he should be punished for what he did, not for being white (and I'd say the same, of course, if the kid were not white). But he also needs to be loved. Whether society needs to be protected from him for the rest of his life or not is to be determined. Perhaps the damage done to him (mostly very likely by his parents) can be undone. Perhaps not. But at 15 years old, it must be tried; an attempt to salvage his life must be attempted - regardless of his colour or shoe size or sexual orientation, etc., etc., etc., etc.....

That's a perspective of one who has worked with many troubled and messed up kids - of various races, colours, nationalities, and sexual orientations.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

mmmm8 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:02 pm

Sigh...

Thanks for your post.I just felt like the thumbs up button didn't speak loudly enough for me. :)

Kevin

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Text of open letter the shooter's mother wrote to TFG

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ggles.html
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

40 years for the little creep, 10 for each person that will not have a life thanks to him, 15 to mom for basically fostering her son's attitude.
Let's wait until people find out what daddy did, but I gather he must not be far away from the "I support your maniacal ways, son" position.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Maybe they should check with Tucker Carlson?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »